Shopper Data Group today released findings from a national survey that revealed almost half of all Australian shoppers will be plating up a traditional hot meal this Christmas, and despite their best intentions, they will be shopping for last minute items on Christmas Eve.
Over 14,600 Australian shoppers participated in the survey that found 39 per cent of Australian shoppers would be sending Santa on his way this Christmas Eve with a beer or a tipple of whiskey.
Shopper Data Group, the new research division of Digital Out-of-Home (DOOH) media business Shopper Media Group, captures behavioural data on shoppers and provides bespoke research capabilities via it’s Smartlite digital panels . When shoppers opt into the free Wi-Fi offered in over 200 shopping centres nationally, they are asked specific questions that reveal compelling insights.
Here are some of the top line findings for Christmas 2016:
- 46 per cent of Australian shoppers will be serving a traditional hot meal this Christmas, with a further 23 per cent plating up a combination of hot and seafood. Only 18 per cent will be dining out on just seafood and salad despite Australia’s hot climate.
- 45 per cent of Australian shoppers admit that they will be doing some last minute shopping this Christmas Eve.
- 22 per cent of Aussie shoppers are unsure if they will be hitting the shops on Christmas Eve but 32 per cent are adamant they will be giving the shops a wide berth.
- 43 per cent of Aussie shoppers have budgeted up to $100 on food this Christmas Day, while 28 per cent plan to spend in the range of $100 – $300, and 12 per cent $300 – $600.
- 9 per cent of Aussie shoppers either have big families or lavish tastes as they plan to spend over $900 on food for Christmas Day.
- 47 per cent of Aussie shoppers aim to spend up to $100 on presents on each child and/or partner.
- 15 per cent will spend in the range of $100 – $200 on presents for each child and /or partner, with 18 per cent spending over $200 each.
- 39 per cent of Aussies are embracing Christmas cheer leaving out either a beer (26 per cent) or whiskey (13 per cent) for Santa this Christmas.
- 61 per cent of Aussies have taken a more sensible approach with Santa behind the wheel of the sleigh, leaving out milk (29 per cent), food (18 per cent) and carrots for the reindeer (18 per cent).
Shopper Media Group CEO Ben Walker said: “The data captured via our Smartlite panels provides a national perspective with Smartlites now installed in every state and territory. Over 14,600 consumers participated in answering five questions, across seven days delivering a robust sample size and revealing genuine consumer insights into the shopping behaviours of Australians this Christmas.”
Aussie retail payments platform Afterpay has launched a new global look, feel and positioning with a fresh brand identity. Founded out of Bondi, Sydney, Australia five years ago, Afterpay has skyrocketed to infinite heights, with almost 10 million customers and 55,000-plus merchants now using the platform globally across Australia, US, UK (where it is called […]
How Communications’ China marketing director, Doris Li, believes ad-land professionals must be courageous enough “to be abnormal”, and listen to their hearts, to be fearless in times of change. During this year’s B&T Women in Media Awards, presented by Bauer Media, we’ll be recognising exceptional people who have achieved success in their professional arenas, celebrating […]
The holding companies might be losing as much as 23 per cent of their revenue year-on-year, but new business has remained relatively resilient through 2020, the lastest research from R3 has revealed. In the first half of 2020 total new business revenue decreased 10 per cent globally – but creative agencies are having to find […]
Independent communications consultancy The Mint Partners has bolstered its integrated client roster and signed a number of premium lifestyle brands to kick start the new financial year. With an array of new products, services, and a focus on insight-led and creative integrated communications, MINT has enjoyed recent success with an expanded portfolio across new categories including fintech, […]
A feature length documentary on the extraordinary racing career of Australia’s first Formula 1 champion, Sir Jack Brabham, co-produced by design, animation and visual effects house Heckler, will be available on Stan exclusively from this Friday – 7 August. Directed by Ákos Armont (Aurora Films) in association with Heckler, whose co-founder Will Alexander served as […]
In a first for the Australian insurance market, Club Marine, Australia’s largest provider of boat and pleasure-craft insurance, has released a new series of videos to help explain insurance cover. With a few familiar Aussie personalities to help out, Club Marine is helping its members, as well as the broader boating community, to understand the […]