M&C Saatchi Australia has partnered with Minderoo Foundation on a new campaign, “The Plastic Forecast,” to highlight the effect of plastic production on the environment.
With plastic production set to triple by 2060, Minderoo and M&C Saatchi measured plastic as rain to create a new weather metric to demonstrate to the public how much plastic will fall from the sky on any given day.
The campaign has been launched in Paris ahead of the second session of negotiations of the UN’s Plastic Treaty at UNESCO’s headquarters.
“The Plastic Forecast” was developed with the help of scientists at Minderoon and combines research on atmospheric plastic with daily weather forecasts to estimate the daily ‘plastic fall’ in an easy-to-understand report.
The science was brought to life by supporting partner, Collider, which created a suite of 3D plastic clouds that react to the live weather data.
“[As] many plastic particles are so tiny, you cannot always see the plastic waste and pollution that plague this planet. The Plastic Forecast highlights this fact and will undoubtedly strike a chord with the general public. We believe this will be a powerful tool moving forward to generate widespread public support for an ambitious plastics treaty that puts a stop to unsustainable plastic production,” explained Minderoo Foundation’s director of planet portfolio, Dr Tony Worby.
“This is our once-in-a-lifetime chance to change the Plastic Forecast,” said Worby. “We need to reduce virgin fossil fuel plastic production, and the UN Plastic Treaty can do that.”
The Plastic Forecast will hit the streets of Paris, showing up next to weather reports, across social media and in the news to direct viewers to plasticforecast.com. The site will provide live updates on the weight of plastic falling on them that day, with weekly, monthly and yearly figures available.
M&C Saatchi executive creative director, Emma Robbins, said: “Working with Minderoo on an idea that could help change how much plastic the world produces has been an amazing moment for everyone who’s helped shape it. If it sparks a reaction, fuels a conversation and ultimately influences the treaty then we’ve not just created an idea in the world, we’ve created some hope in the world too. And that’s the kind of work you want to get up every day and do.”
The Plastic Forecast is rolling out across Paris now, with more major cities to come.
- Tony Worby – Director, Planet Portfolio
- Marcus Gover- Director, Plastics Initiative
- David Ohana – Global Head of Marketing, Brand and Campaigns
- Angus Ingham – Marketing, Brand and Campaigns Lead
- Louisa Miller – Social Campaign Specialist
- Stephen Gaisford – Communications Lead
- Christina Zimmer – Communications Lead
- Alex Massey – Media Lead
- Michael Best – Head of Media
- Emma Silver – Head of Public Affairs and Advocacy, Plastics
- Lizzie Fuller – Principal, Global Plastics Treaty, Plastics
- Axel Darut – Associate, Public Affairs, Plastics
- Cam Blackley – Chief Creative Officer
- Emma Robbins – National Executive Creative Director
- Chris Cheeseman – Creative Director
- Russel Fox – Creative Director
- Daniel Borghesi – Senior Copywriter
- Michael McEwan – CEO
- Nick Jacobs – Head of Strategy
- Amy Kousis – Strategy Director
- Clement Simon -Social Strategy Director
- Am Lall – Group Account Director
- Adelaide Hinton – Senior Account Director
- Gemma Heyes – Executive Integrated Producer
- Zoe Rixon – Senior Producer
- Andrew van der Westhuyzen – Founder / Creative Director
- Dave Sujono – 3D Designer
- Hoss Ghonouie – Head of Studio Production
- Activation Production – ResX
- Activation Producer – Jeffrey Jaffers
- Event Management – UNXPCTD
- Post-production – Resolution Design
- Audio Production – Bang Bang Studios
- Music Composition – Sam Hopgood
- Senior UX Designer – Alexander Beech
- Design Director / UI Designer – James Jamias
- Tech Director / Developer – Donald Martinez
- Louis Herbier Account Director
The Avid Collective MD reveals his life pre-adland. As exciting as it is, it's not international playboy spy & Lothario.
SenateSHJ has launched a new digital, data and insights capability designed to help clients tackle the growing complexity of communication challenges. SenateSHJ Digital, Data and Insights (DDI) will combine the firm’s existing Digital and Insights functions to create a Trans-Tasman capability focused on digital communication, and the generation and use of data to improve communication. […]
Creative technology platform Bonzai has announced the launch of BrandStory – a new premium mobile ad format. BrandStory offers triple the ad space and 2.8 times greater time in view than single scroll ad formats, addressing the surging demand from brands worldwide for more real estate to drive real results by seamlessly intertwining awareness, exploration […]
B&T went through the looking glass this morning, with editor-in-chief David Hovenden (above) appearing on Channel 7’s The Morning Show to get the general public involved in our search for Australia’s Greatest Ad. Hovenden chatted with Kylie Gillies and stand-in host Matt Doran about what makes a great ad and showcasing some of our favourites […]
Two Australian-born technology providers have joined forces to bring more power and choice to marketers in Australia and New Zealand with mobile messaging that is more local, cost-effective, and integrated. It’s a partnership that sees two Australian software companies come together to deliver a world-class mobile-first solution for marketers building data-driven, personalised, omnichannel campaigns. While […]
Zitcha and Broadsign have teamed up to integrate the Broadsign out-of-home (OOH) advertising platform with Zitcha’s retail media platform. The collaboration empowers retailers to maximise and monetise in-store digital display networks and enables advertising partners to easily view and book available in-store inventory and review campaign performance alongside the retailer’s other media channels. With the […]
Today, 7-Eleven has announced a one-of-a-kind collaboration with the popular Sydney-based anti-resort wear label Double Rainbouu. Dropping tomorrow, December 1, just in time for summer, this limited-edition capsule will infuse the fashion brand’s rebellious spirit with a distinctly iconic 7-Eleven flavour. The unisex collection features five must-have styles comprising two signature Hawaiian shirts, a peaked cap, a bucket hat […]