Lung Foundation Australia has announced the winners of its ‘Just One Breath’ Heroes Quest, a national creative competition that was launched in June, and asked for entrants to submit creative interpretations that would inspire Australians on the power of breath.
Entries were submitted via the website and Facebook page and were voted on by a panel of creative industry judges including:
- Heather Allan – CEO, Lung Foundation Australia
- Rhianna Patrick – Radio Presenter, ABC
- David Harrison – Artistic Director, The Kings Collective
- Mark Cushway – Minimal Artist
- Israel Cannan – Actor, Editor, Artist (film, music)
The Grand Prize entry ‘Every Breath Is A Celebration of Life’ was won by Joanna Tsai, with her time-lapse chalkboard artwork – a project that took six hours from start to finish. It was a collaboration between Joanna and her fiancée, who inspired the artwork with his history of chronic asthma and his appreciation of what just one breath meant to him, and others like him.
Grand Prize Winner
Joanna Tsai – ‘Every Breath Is A Celebration of Life’
“This chalk-lettering time-lapse is a collaboration with my amazing fiancé. Sometimes we take for granted the ability to breathe. I am so grateful just for breath! The chalk-lettered quote is from my fiancé himself. He is one of my biggest heroes. This is his story:
“It’s 2AM and I am trying to sleep in a sitting position. My lungs are so congested that if I lay down I can’t breathe anymore. My body is so tired but my mind is wide awake: I am scared that this breath may be the last.
“Suffering from asthma as a kid wasn’t fun. Several times I had to wake up my parents in the middle of the night to go to the hospital because all I had left was a tiny gasp of breath. Those rides to the hospital were horrific… It seemed like death was next to me and those dreadful feelings of losing breath were indescribable.
“But there is hope! Thank God I haven’t been to the hospital for more than 15 years!
“I tried my best to care for my lungs as I realised how my breath is so precious! I’ve never smoked any cigarettes or drugs and I can only encourage you to stay away from them.
“Every breath is a celebration of life! It means that you can celebrate the fact that you are alive and kicking. And you are the hero of your own life. Only you have the choice of making your life a better one. Make the most of it and live life to the fullest! Replace your bad habits by new good ones and keep celebrating as your breath gets better and better!”
People’s Choice Award Winners
· Camille Condon & Louisa Walsh – ‘Breathless Bubble Party’
“A fun little film to illustrate how vitally important ‘Just One Breath’ can be!”
· Ellie Swiatkiwsky – ‘Right In This Moment’
“It’s fantastic to be involved in Just One Breath, such an important cause to support.”
· Terry Webster – ‘The confident breath’ by Kiana Baker
“Our #justonebreathhero is Kiana Baker; she is my mate’s eight year old daughter and she is an inspiration because she knows how Just One Breath can: inspire, help you enjoy the moments, get you back up when things are tough and help you conquer your fears. She surfs, skates and appreciates living the coastal lifestyle. Your health and life is everything. This video aims to inspire the young and old to ‘get out there’, and that anything is possible with ‘Just One Breath’…
Highly Commended Winners
- Alexandra Quinn – Last Push
- Annie Johnstone – Achieving the impossible
- Ashley Fiona – Ashkeeper
- Charlie Robinson – Southern Cross Care; Just One Breath; From being energetic or fluid, the choice was theirs on National Open Day; Out in the Open.
- Gavin Banks – Freedive
- Grant Molony – Encompass
- Janette Hayward – Taking a breather
- Karen McPherson – Breathe Out
- Kelly-Anne Love – Whales first Breath
- Libby-Jane Charleston – Strawberries
- Luke Clark – Just One Breath
- Mia Chaberman – Just One Breath – Lyrics and Audio
- Pauline Roods – Secret Paradise – “Just one breath” away!
- Sarah Calderwood – Second Chance
- Taylor Hopping – The Beginner’s Guide to Respiratory World Brightening