TV measurement firm OzTAM has announced the launch of Virtual Australia, or ‘VOZ’, to create Australia’s new Total TV currency.
VOZ brings together broadcast and viewing on TV sets and connected devices to provide an all-screen, cross-platform planning and reporting standard for Australia’s television industry.
OzTam said it had introduced VOZ because Australian TV viewing patterns are changing, thanks to the explosion in content, platform and device choice.
The average Australian home now has 1.8 TV sets but 6.6 screens in total, and people are using all of them to watch television throughout the day – inside and outside the home. OzTAM and Nielsen are building VOZ with Regional TAM’s support to capture the TV viewing that takes place on all screens, thereby meeting a pressing industry need.
- Australia’s first de-duplicated audience estimates of the broadcast content Australians are watching, who is watching, the amount of time they spend watching, and how they are watching (‘Total TV’).
- Australia’s first truly national picture of total television viewing.
- A virtual profile of Australian households and individuals, and the ability to integrate other datasets, to support advanced audience targeting.
What benefits does VOZ bring?
VOZ will crystalise Australia’s Total TV picture:
- Advertisers and media agencies can create media plans encompassing TV inventory across all broadcast channels and devices, and manage cross-screen campaigns – including de-duplicated cross-device audience reach goals at a national level. They can also overlay first party and other datasets on top of VOZ to support advanced audience targeting.
- TV networks can determine the incremental reach from viewing on connected devices, and optimise their inventory across all channels, markets, platforms and devices.
- The media industry gains an objective, independent, transparent and standard metric by which to evaluate the performance of TV content across all screens and platforms, and is consistent with the established TAM and VPM currencies.
How does VOZ work?
- VOZ brings TV ratings estimates derived from 20,000+ viewers in OzTAM and Regional TAM panel homes, and 12 million devices streaming TV content, together in a single, detailed database. The integrated VOZ database is the foundation for Australia’s new Total TV currency.
- VOZ also creates an anonymised, virtual profile of Australian households and 25 million Australians using:
- ABS population statistics;
- OzTAM and Regional TAM Establishment Survey data (50,000+ surveys per year, conducted since calendar 2000);
- Gold standard TV ratings calculations based on the actual viewing behaviour of 20,000+ individuals in OzTAM and Regional TAM panel homes;
- Information from streaming TV meters installed in 1,500 TV panel homes; and,
- Census level OzTAM VPM (Video Player Measurement) data on 12 million connected devices playing TV content.
- VOZ will also be able to integrate other datasets, providing a solid and scalable database for advanced audience targeting.
How will OzTAM subscribers access and use VOZ?
Stored securely in the cloud, OzTAM data subscribers will access the VOZ interactive dashboard to:
- Conduct Total TV campaign planning, reporting and post-analysis at the national and local level;
- Determine un-duplicated and incremental reach; and
Onboard other datasets to support advanced audience targeting across the Total TV universe.
Should viewers be concerned for their privacy?
User data that contributes to VOZ is fully anonymised. All OzTAM and Regional TAM TV audience measurement panel households opt-in with full consent. OzTAM collects no information that can identify the person(s) that owns or uses individual devices.