TV measurement firm OzTAM has announced the launch of Virtual Australia, or ‘VOZ’, to create Australia’s new Total TV currency.
VOZ brings together broadcast and viewing on TV sets and connected devices to provide an all-screen, cross-platform planning and reporting standard for Australia’s television industry.
OzTam said it had introduced VOZ because Australian TV viewing patterns are changing, thanks to the explosion in content, platform and device choice.
The average Australian home now has 1.8 TV sets but 6.6 screens in total, and people are using all of them to watch television throughout the day – inside and outside the home. OzTAM and Nielsen are building VOZ with Regional TAM’s support to capture the TV viewing that takes place on all screens, thereby meeting a pressing industry need.
- Australia’s first de-duplicated audience estimates of the broadcast content Australians are watching, who is watching, the amount of time they spend watching, and how they are watching (‘Total TV’).
- Australia’s first truly national picture of total television viewing.
- A virtual profile of Australian households and individuals, and the ability to integrate other datasets, to support advanced audience targeting.
What benefits does VOZ bring?
VOZ will crystalise Australia’s Total TV picture:
- Advertisers and media agencies can create media plans encompassing TV inventory across all broadcast channels and devices, and manage cross-screen campaigns – including de-duplicated cross-device audience reach goals at a national level. They can also overlay first party and other datasets on top of VOZ to support advanced audience targeting.
- TV networks can determine the incremental reach from viewing on connected devices, and optimise their inventory across all channels, markets, platforms and devices.
- The media industry gains an objective, independent, transparent and standard metric by which to evaluate the performance of TV content across all screens and platforms, and is consistent with the established TAM and VPM currencies.
How does VOZ work?
- VOZ brings TV ratings estimates derived from 20,000+ viewers in OzTAM and Regional TAM panel homes, and 12 million devices streaming TV content, together in a single, detailed database. The integrated VOZ database is the foundation for Australia’s new Total TV currency.
- VOZ also creates an anonymised, virtual profile of Australian households and 25 million Australians using:
- ABS population statistics;
- OzTAM and Regional TAM Establishment Survey data (50,000+ surveys per year, conducted since calendar 2000);
- Gold standard TV ratings calculations based on the actual viewing behaviour of 20,000+ individuals in OzTAM and Regional TAM panel homes;
- Information from streaming TV meters installed in 1,500 TV panel homes; and,
- Census level OzTAM VPM (Video Player Measurement) data on 12 million connected devices playing TV content.
- VOZ will also be able to integrate other datasets, providing a solid and scalable database for advanced audience targeting.
How will OzTAM subscribers access and use VOZ?
Stored securely in the cloud, OzTAM data subscribers will access the VOZ interactive dashboard to:
- Conduct Total TV campaign planning, reporting and post-analysis at the national and local level;
- Determine un-duplicated and incremental reach; and
Onboard other datasets to support advanced audience targeting across the Total TV universe.
Should viewers be concerned for their privacy?
User data that contributes to VOZ is fully anonymised. All OzTAM and Regional TAM TV audience measurement panel households opt-in with full consent. OzTAM collects no information that can identify the person(s) that owns or uses individual devices.
With respect to viewing on connected devices, to use the broadcasters’ apps, users have given their consent to the broadcasters. The streaming TV meters only look for broadcast viewing activity and platform level IP addresses for over-the-top and subscription video- on-demand (SVOD) services. VOZ and the elements needed to deliver it meet Australian privacy standards.
Independent brand and digital agency, Archibald Williams (AW) has been appointed to lead the NBA account across the APAC region. The NBA is one of the most prestigious sporting leagues in the world and basketball is one of the fastest-growing sports in Australia. Effective immediately, AW said it was “excited” to work across all digital, […]
B&T's shining a light on industry folk prior to adland. Preference given to anyone purporting actual UFO abduction.
Leading digital outdoor company QMS has announced it is the first-ever inaugural partner for Most Contagious APAC, the landmark London event by creative and strategic intelligence company Contagious, which will be showcased in Australia on Tuesday, 12 December in Sydney and Wednesday, 13 December in Melbourne. Most Contagious is an event that delivers key advertising […]
Omnicom’s data and analytics division Annalect has partnered with Meta, giving it access to Advanced Analytics (AA) – one of Meta’s privacy-focused measurement solutions – to provide Omnicom’s clients with future-proof, next-level measurement. Omnicom is the first holding company to have access to AA. AA allows advertisers to combine their first-party data with Meta’s ads […]
WPP’s AKQA has launched Fixmas.gift, an environmentally conscious AI-powered DIY assistant, affectionately known as Fixie, for a one-stop solution for all things repair. Fixmas.gift hosts an array of guides and inspiration to empower people to prolong the lives of their belongings or purchase pre-owned items that need a little love and care. Fixie can: Help […]
Marc Collister (pictured) of P2 Content Creators spills the beans on his 2024 predictions drawing from two decades of experience in the advertising, film and television industry. I’m certain it will come as no surprise that in 2024, we can expect our industry to move at breakneck speed again. With even more rapid shifts in […]
Zeno Australia has announced expanded creative design capabilities and the appointment of Jim Michell (lead image) to its senior leadership team. The new moves support strong growth in the region. Zeno Australia’s clients, including Abano Healthcare, Motorola and Yorkshire Tea, can now tap into a suite of creative design services to augment the agency’s work […]
Assembled Media, is drawing upon the creative power of TikTok Creator Marketplace to help generate unique, impactful content for iconic stationery brand, BIC. The social activation campaign titled ‘A Pen for Every Side of You’ promotes the flexibility of BIC’s 4 Colours pen and is active nationwide on the BIC Stationery TikTok account. The campaign […]
Pinterest reckons jellyfish & moody cowboys will be big in 2024. Refused to be drawn on the return of shoulder pads.
IAB Australia has launched ‘Evolution in Market Mix Modelling’, the fourth module in its Marketing Measurement Innovation Series, which has been developed by IAB Australia’s Ad Effectiveness Council. The module explores what is driving the increased use of MMM and how the technique is evolving with advances in computing power and machine learning to provide […]
Scope3, the collaborative sustainability platform leading the decarbonisation of media and advertising, announced the addition of digital out-of-home (DOOH) to its emissions measurement. With DOOH ad spending predicted to grow from $17B in 2023 to nearly $24B by 2028, measuring this channel brings us one step closer to understanding the total impact of digital advertising […]
NRF 2024: Retail’s Big Show Asia Pacific, is now open for online registrations for the main conference. Jointly organized by the National Retail Federation and Comexposium, Retail’s Big Show Asia Pacific will take place from 11 – 13 June, 2024 at the Sands Expo and Convention Centre in Singapore and is expected to draw thousands […]