In this guest post, the marketing and news business manager of Landor, Ashling Withers (pictured below), pens an insightful (and hilarious) piece on agency “dating” and how you can find your perfect match. The ideal read in honour of Valentine’s Day.
Valentine’s Day is here again. A time for couples to splash out on price-inflated dinners and chocolate love hearts, and singles to attend speed dating nights at The Establishment. Not one to miss an inappropriate analogy, I started thinking how eerily similar finding the perfect agency/client relationship is to dating.
I couldn’t tell you how many creative agencies there are in Australia but it is a broad, diverse and often downright daunting mix. From niche to full service; each with range of services, specialisms and experience. Finding your perfect match is like navigating the current online minefield of Tinder, Bumble, Hinge, Oasis…the list is endless.
Whilst many say finding the right agency – or the right person – is a numbers game, there are some simple rules to make sure neither side is wasting their time.
- Chemistry – just like dating, meeting agencies online is a gamble. How can you be sure the flashy visuals and carefully crafted lines really reflect the current work and team? Long-term relationships are only going to work if there is genuine chemistry.Shortlist those that you do like the look of and go meet them face-to-face for a coffee (first date alcohol is never recommended). And how many times have you been on a date and struggled to get a word in edgeways? First dates aren’t a sales pitch, and neither should the first meeting be.Agencies – less talking about what you have achieved, and more genuine interest in the client and their challenge. Put that PowerPoint away. Let’s face it folks would you want to go on a first date where your potential partner hears – ad nauseum – about all your previous conquests!
- Equality – the archaic tradition of men paying for everything should (in my opinion) be dead. Women are more than able to pay their own way and maintain an equal footing. The same should be true for the first steps in the agency/client relationship.Free creative pitches? Agencies burn hours, money and often, people, in delivering their expertise for free. Without the chance to develop insights and understanding of the brand and the challenge, a client won’t be getting the best response and it can start off the relationship on the wrong foot. Both agency and client need to value each other’s expertise and consider each other equals from the getgo.
- Values – it’s good to have different perspectives and approaches, however, a successful partnership is never going to go well if I care about commitment and you are a free-wheeling open relationship kind of guy. As with relationships, we both want to be striving for the same things. In the agency/client world that could very well be fame, fortune or even changing the world. We all want to date, or work with people that are striving for similar ambitions. So, take time to understand what drives your client, and your agency, before you make the big commitment.
- Respect – everyone has less time, more pressure and, left unchecked, relationships can drift into a transactional phase where neither party feel valued. So, raise the bar by making your partner feel the love. How many times do you feel you interact with someone, yet walk away wondering if they were genuinely interested in you.The old adage ‘You have two ears and one mouth, use them in direct proportion’ is as just as relevant today as it’s always been. Also, if your date doesn’t go to plan and there’s no spark, call it as it is and quickly move on. To be clear, ‘ghosting’ is never okay.
- Transparency – Clients and agencies have multiple pressures and objectives. And in this environment, no one wants to see their time and energy wasted. Too much time is spent on clients who are only window shopping. And no client wants to go through a briefing process with an agency that will not be able to meet their budget, timing or processes. Let’s be transparent. It saves a lot of time for everyone in the long term.
So this Valentine’s Day take the time to let your agency or client know that they are more than just a swipe to the right… or left?
Please login with linkedin to commentvalentine's day
Burger King in the UK has taken a unique approach to Christmas, releasing a Christmas carol sung by a car satnav. The campaign, by London agency Bartle Bogle Hegarty, includes an almost eight-minute remake of Chris Rea’s hit “Driving Home for Christmas”that it’s retitled “Driving (Thru The) Home (Of The Whopper)”. The hypnotic track provides […]
New research has revealed that businesses are not acting quickly enough to preserve customer trust following a data breach, and that failure to effectively engage customers in a way that matches their expectations will result in irreparable long-term damage to brand reputation. Porter Novelli Australia, in partnership with Quantum Market Research, has conducted research to […]
Beauty brand Sephora has divided the internet after posting an ad for an adult toy to its global Instagram page which has more than 20 million followers. Since posting the advert, Sephora has since stopped allowing comments on the post, but thankfully (for B&T readers) we managed to grab a few before that happened. The […]
New research has revealed the most controversial TV commercials which have sparked outrage across the US, with big names such as Pepsi and Dove making the list. The findings, compiled by journey advertising platform illumin also includes a new ranking that identifies which states have made the most complaints about TV commercials over the past […]
A recent survey Pilot conducted shows that shame remains a solid barrier to men seeking professional help for sexual performance issues, so they started a campaign encouraging men to put it all out there, loud and proud. Pilot is a digital healthcare clinic, and since 2019, Pilot has given over 100,000 Aussie men convenient access […]
Creative agency FRED & FARID Shanghai has partnered with the international brand Guinness to make a mark on the Chinese market by envisioning and developing “A Whole Universe” – a visual odyssey honouring one of the most iconic beers. There are briefs that one cannot turn down, like the one to introduce the most iconic […]
Craig Reucassel (left) of The Chaser and dear friend of B&T, will take over hosting duties on ABC Sydney breakfast radio, with James Valentine returning to afternoons and Indira Naidoo handing over control of her evening show to producer Renee Krosch. Reucassel has produced three seasons of War on Waste for ABC TV since 2017 and last […]
New-generation media agency 27 Degrees Media has been appointed to manage digital media for national tyre retailer Tyreright in one of its first Australian client signings. Lead Image: Loan Morris – 27 Degrees Media CEO Under the partnership, 27 Degrees Media will be responsible for all digital media strategy, planning and buying, along with influencer […]
The Works has announced the launch of ‘Question Everything’ a new brand platform and campaign for their newest client, Archie Rose. As a nine-year-old independently owned and operated Australian multi-spirit distillery, Archie Rose has garnered a devoted following among existing customers, with a reputation primarily built on white spirits – particularly gin. However in line […]
Brisbane performance agency farsiight has announced the launch of its new market positioning, Growth for Good, in response to a changing business landscape, marking a departure from a “growth at all costs” mentality that has defined the industry in recent years. Agency founders and brother duo, Josh and Ben Somerville, envision Growth for Good as […]
Australia’s largest privately owned transit media supplier, GoTransit Media Group, now offers unprecedented options for transit advertising in Newcastle – on both land and sea following their successful tender to supply interior advertising inside the popular Stockton Ferries. The national transit media company is already well acquainted with the thriving NSW market, having successfully operated […]
Heritage and People’s Choice have launched People First Bank, the new name for positive change in banking Australia’s largest customer-owned bank has unveiled its new brand, announcing that Heritage and People’s Choice will be unified under the new name of People First Bank. Chairman Michael Cameron said the highly anticipated new brand offered a compelling […]
L’Oréal Groupe Australia and New Zealand have announced one of the largest investments to the Great Barrier Reef Foundation to pioneer new coral restoration efforts in the region. L’Oréal Groupe Australia and New Zealand have announced today a new partnership with the Great Barrier Reef Foundation (GBRF), to help coral reefs withstand the devastating impacts […]
Effective immediately, S4Capital’s operating brand Media.Monks, a digital-first marketing and advertising services company, has appointed Matthew Godfrey to lead its APAC Content practice. With over 15 years of experience leading innovative businesses in the Asia-Pacific region, Godfrey will support a best-in-class senior leadership team across the region as EVP, head of content, APAC. He joins […]
Chandra Sinnathamby, Adobe’s director, digital media B2B strategy & GTM, Asia-Pacific, explains how the tech firm is empowering its small business customers with new AI tools, including its Adobe Firefly tools. In today’s fast-paced digital landscape, small businesses face numerous challenges when it comes to creating captivating content that resonates with their audience. Despite the […]
Summer mornings are heating up with Triple M again in 2023, thanks to the star-studded line-up of Harley Breen, Candice Warner and Tom Tilley, who are joining forces each weekday morning from 6-9 am for Triple M’s Summer Breakfast show. Airing from 4 to 15 December in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and streamed live on […]
The Hit Network has announced its summer line-up for 2023, kicking off on Monday, 4 December, featuring The Jimmy & Nath Show, Hamish & Andy podcast, Nights with Seany B and special return celebrations for Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve. Hit’s cheeky radio duo Jimmy Smith and Nath Roye of The Jimmy & Nath […]