Twitter, in partnership with MAGNA and IPG Media Lab, have announced the results of a scientific media trial examining the location of video ads within a social environment.
The resulting report, The Art of the Takeover: Optimizing What Consumers See First, reveals best practices for in-feed advertising as well as guidelines for utilising takeovers across in-feed video and website platforms.
The report breaks down key differences in effectiveness between Twitter’s Promoted Video ad placements: First View (Promoted Video at the top of the timeline) and ‘standard view’ (Promoted Video throughout the timeline).
Additionally, the study details how in-feed video ads located strategically at the top of the feed are twice as likely to be retained compared to similarly placed takeover ads on a website.
The study also found that regardless of location within the targeted social feed, upwards of 67 per cent of respondents found that ads served to them were not only relevant to their interests, but unobtrusive and ultimately, informative.
Here are the key findings from the trial:
- In a social environment, takeovers (ads at top of the feed) work harder than ads lower down.
- With its premium location, takeovers excel at building brand awareness, likely because they are on screen an average of 50 per cent more than ads lower in the feed.
- Takeovers outperform in social environments.
- Social takeovers are two times more memorable than similarly placed ads in a website takeover, likely because ads in a social environment feel more relevant and less intrusive to the user.
- GIFs and six-second ads at the top of a feed are an effective way to communicate, since they reinforce how users interact in a social environment, while longer ad formats at the top of a feed can further drive awareness due to a larger emphasis on the brand.
- A social post is more than just a video. With takeovers, many accompanying text strategies are successful because people spend more time with the video content at the top of a feed. However, posts further down are more effective when the accompanying text reinforces timely information and highlights product features.
Please login with linkedin to commentipg media lab MAGNA Social Media The Art of the Takeover: Optimizing What Consumers See First
Freedom Foods and 72andSunny Sydney have launched the first advertising campaign for Australia’s Own range of plant-based beverages. The campaign introduces a new visual world and identity for the brand and captures the healthy, positive feeling you get when spending time in nature and when consuming Australia’s Own certified-organic, plant-based beverages. As well as featuring […]
Nine creatives from APAC are among the 94 finalists from 27 countries in The One Club for Creativity’s prestigious Young Guns 19 competition, celebrating international creative professionals age 30 or younger. The finalists from APAC are: Hiu Ching Kung, graphic designer, Hong Kong Lam Ieong Kun, graphic designer, illustrator, indego design, Macau Raxenne Maniquiz, graphic designer, illustrator, Santa Maria (Philippines) Kiyotaka […]
OOH transit company Adflow has announced the success of the first phase of its regional expansion program. Adflow’s regional footprint has increased by 60 per cent to now include 65 regional locations. With 9.1 million people living regionally in Australia (growth of 1.1 per cent experienced in the 19/20 Financial year) and most regional centres […]
Freshworks, a leading software company, has started trading on the Nasdaq Global Select Market, marking an important milestone for the company. The company priced its IPO at US$36 per share (AU$49.76), raising about US$1 billion (AU$1.4B), resulting in a total market capitalisation of AU$13.7 billion (US$10B). Freshworks, which was founded in India, has strong roots […]
Black Friday Cyber Monday (BFCM) is the biggest player in the holiday shopping game and Google’s most recent research suggests consumer interest for the peak sales season starts much earlier than retailers may realise. The pandemic has fundamentally changed buyer behaviour over peak sales season, with Google suggesting that global consumer interest in Black Friday […]