Interpublic Group (IPG) has completed its acquisition of Acxiom LLC (formerly known as Acxiom Marketing Solutions), which will operate as a stand-alone unit within IPG.
The deal brings together IPG’s media, creative, marketing services and analytics capabilities, global scale and consumer insights, with Acxiom’s unrivalled expertise in identity, data, integrations and data stewardship.
With the acquisition, the Acxiom brand name will become part of the IPG portfolio; the transaction does not include the LiveRamp business.
Acxiom will continue to offer the broadest set of data and services in the industry for helping brands, their agencies and their technology partners navigate the complexity of creating exceptional experiences across every consumer touchpoint.
Acxiom’s nearly 50 years of expertise and leadership in ethical data use will continue to be a differentiator in this era where consumers expect – and regulations increasingly demand – accountability, transparency and choice in how consumer data is managed and used.
Interpublic Group chairman and CEO Michael Roth said: “With this transaction, we will add a foundational, world-class data asset, covering two-thirds of the global population, to our capabilities. This is a transformational step for IPG that will benefit our clients.
“Having the ability to leverage data at scale enables us to develop deeper relationships in the marketplace, and to do so by bringing together two companies with cultures that are highly aligned when it comes to our approach to high standards of transparency and respect for the consumer,” added Roth.
IPG chief strategy and talent officer & IPG Mediabrands Chairman and CEO Philippe Krakowsky said: “By adding Acxiom to our offerings, we are positioning our company for a future in which data-driven marketing solutions will be increasingly core to brands’ success.
“Together, we can go to market as a trusted, high-value partner that will deliver on the promise of combining data management and marketing services to drive measurable business outcomes.”
This combination will deliversignificant opportunities and benefits for brands and CMOs:
- The tools to break down data silos, activating data across both digital and offline channels
- Unmatched outcome-driven services delivering targeted brand experiences that integrate disparate channels, advertising and marketing technologies, and data across the customer journey
- The ability to manage 1, 2 and 3 party data at scale using a comprehensive suite of offerings including data strategy and management, audience creation, performance media, planning and buying, personalized messaging, and analytics
To this opportunity, the combination brings together companies that share a culture of transparency and respect for the consumer:
- Acxiom is a pioneer and thought leader in data stewardship, with best-in-class ethical standards on gathering data, and respect for consumer privacy
- Acxiom is entrusted by many of the world’s most highly-regulated industries to manage first-party data in a safe and secure way
- Coupled with IPG’s long-standing commitment to transparency in its media practices, Acxiom’s focus on data ethics creates a differentiated offering for clients
With this acquisition, IPG and Acxiom together will be able to provide a unique and high-value service to clients that unifies information security and first-party data management with marketing solutions.
Acxiom will remain a stand-alone division within IPG, reporting into Arun Kumar, chief data and marketing technology officer, IPG. Acxiom will remain headquartered in Conway, Arkansas.
Acquisition Financial Details
Interpublic completed the offering of $2.0 billion aggregate principal amount of senior notes, as announced on September 21, 2018, in order to finance the Acxiom acquisition.
IPG will begin consolidating financial results effective October 1, 2018.
IPG expects the acquisition to provide significant financial benefits, including an acceleration in incremental revenue and earnings opportunities across a range of data-driven marketing solutions.
Acxiom, which represents approximately 8% of the combined IPG revenues, diversifies IPG’s revenue base by client and practice discipline, and adding long-term, contracted revenue streams.
IPG remains committed to a strong balance sheet, maintaining investment-grade credit metrics, and continuing to grow its dividend.