A man who is suing Alan Jones for defamation to the tune of $4.8 million has called into question the mental state of the veteran radio broadcaster while giving evidence in court.
Neil Wagner and his three brothers are suing Jones for suggesting they were responsible for the deaths of 12 people during the 2011 Grantham floods due to a wall of a quarry they owned collapsing during the natural disaster.
Jones made the accusations across 32 different broadcasts on stations 2GB and 4BC, as well as once on Sky News, during 2014 and 2015.
Appearing in the witness box on Friday, Wagner said he thought Jones had lost his mind when the 2GB host made the accusations.
“I thought this bloke was going mad, senile,” he said.
Wagner argued his family’s reputation had been tarnished as a result of Jones’ accusations, and they have copped constant abuse.
“They know us for something we didn’t do,” he said.