Australia’s medal haul – two silvers and a bronze – may have been a little underwhelming at the Winter Olympics, however, that’s clearly not detracted from its TV ratings and social media successes.
Now Twitter has unveiled its list of top five Aussie moments from Pyeong Chang with Scotty James’s bronze in the snowboard half-pipe the most tweeted local moment.
The list was measured and ranked based on mentions of the athletes themselves (or their twitter handles), within 24 hours of accomplishing the above feats.
And the top five were:
1. With a breath-taking performance in the final against snowboarding legend Shaun White, Scotty James took bronze in the men’s snowboard halfpipe. Judges said afterwards that he was only one minor slip up away from gold:
— 7Olympics (@7olympics) February 14, 2018
2. The kid from the NSW Central Coast, Matt Graham earned silver in the men’s moguls, holding his own in the final against the strong favourite, Mikaël Kingsbury of Canada:
How sweet it is seeing an Aussie on the podium!
— 7Olympics (@7olympics) February 12, 2018
3. Jarryd Hughes took silver in the men’s snowboard cross, earning Australia its first ever medal in this event in the history of Winter Olympics. Coming back from five knee surgeries Australia got around this home-grown underdog tale in a big way:
— 7Olympics (@7olympics) February 15, 2018
4. At only 19 years of age, Jakara Anthony captured the hearts of Australians around the country when she finished 4th in women’s moguls, placing above her team mate, world #1 ranked Britt Cox, and just missing out on a podium placement.
?? Jakara Anthony 4th and ?? @BrittyCox 5th – we couldn’t be prouder!!
— 7Olympics (@7olympics) February 11, 2018
5. Laura Peel achieved 5th in the women’s aerials, looking a strong chance to win a medal upon entering the final. Placing above her world #2 ranked team mate Danielle Scott, Australia loved the tenacity and courage it took for Peel to finish this high on the world stage:
— 7Olympics (@7olympics) February 16, 2018
Verizon Media’s talent program has come to an end for the third year, closing with a hybrid pitch-off event for Musicians Making A Difference (MMAD). The Verizon Media Academy class of 2021, made up of 44 emerging leaders from across Australia and New Zealand media, advertising and marketing industry, were given just one hour to […]
Social purpose organisation UnLtd’s Big Games competition has raised a combined $85,000 for children and young people at risk. Running over five weeks, the competition involved 32 teams from across the advertising, marketing and media industries battling it out virtually for a chance to qualify for the Rocket League final. The tournament culminated in a […]
Stan has announced that the Stan Original Film Transfusion commenced filming in Sydney earlier this week and will premiere on Stan in 2022. Transfusion is a taut, muscular thriller starring Sam Worthington (Avatar) as Ryan Logan, a former Special Forces operative, who is battling to cope with life after the loss of his wife and is thrust […]
According to a decade of data collected by iStock, Australian brands turned to imagery depicting outdated gender stereotypes during the pandemic. Tracking the keyword ‘women’, iStock by Getty Images found that in 2020, ANZ brands and businesses reverted to gender stereotypes. Images of mothers home-schooling were used at almost twice the rate of images of […]
Schwartz Media is congratulating Maddison Connaughton on her three years as editor of The Saturday Paper. Connaughton has decided to finish up her editorship this month. “It’s been an honour to edit the paper,” Connaughton said. “The Saturday Paper is one of the brightest voices in Australian media and I have been happy to see […]
Research from EdBbirdie using Spotify data has identified the most popular songs to study to. After analysing thousands of studying and homework playlists on Spotify, American singer Olivia Rodrigo’s ‘drivers license’ came out as top song to study to. It featured on 48 study playlists, while other top songs included ‘Ophelia’ by The Lumineers, ‘Falling’ […]
Dayna Stewart is the Business Director – Digital Marketing, Media & Creative Services at The Nudge Group. Here, she discusses the challenges that come with building a successful marketing team when working remotely. Before COVID-19 changed the way businesses work, most marketing teams spent their days together in a meeting room collaborating on the next […]
The line-up for the 2021 iHeartRadio Music Festival has been announced as the legendary event returns live in Las Vegas in September. This year, the epic two-day lineup for the iHeartRadio Music Festival main stage will feature performances by Billie Eilish, Cheap Trick, Coldplay, Dua Lipa, Florida Georgia Line, Journey, Khalid, Lil Baby, Maroon 5, Nelly, […]
Shop! ANZ is calling on shopper and retail marketing professionals from all retail related disciplines to participate in the first ANZ Shopper and Retail Marketing Industry Survey in four years. This important research provides a guide of where the retail marketing industry in Australia and New Zealand has come from and what is anticipated to […]