Subscription television’s unsung heroes have been honoured at the 2015 ASTRA Industry Excellence Awards in Sydney tonight.
The awards recognise achievement in marketing, public relations, advertising, social media and promotion in the subscription television industry in Australia. Ten awards, including three new categories for individual stars behind the scenes, were presented.
Andrew Maiden, CEO, ASTRA, said: “The awards shine a light on the creative brains that drive subscription television. They are people whose talent and enterprise make subscription television so distinctive, original and creative.”
The event was hosted by MTV Australia’s Kate Peck with award presenters including Steve Liebmann from The History Channel and SKY NEWS, FOX SPORTS’ Matt Shirvington, actors Craig Hall and Sara Wiseman from SoHo’s A Place to Call Home and Foxtel CEO Richard Freudenstein.
The winners of the three inaugural awards for individual achievement are:
● ASTRA Creative Professional of the Year: Dan Aldridge (BBC)
● ASTRA Rising Star: Abdel Moorhouse (Foxtel Arts)
● ASTRA Television Professional of the Year: Geoff Crane (SKY NEWS Australia)
Programs on The LifeStyle Channel won three awards:
● Most Outstanding Campaign Under $50,000: Gogglebox Australia- ‘Gogglebox Yourself’
● Most Outstanding Use of Innovation: Selling Houses Australia– ‘Social Editions’
● Most Outstanding Social Media Campaign: Selling Houses Australia – ‘Social Editions’
The other award winners are:
● Most Outstanding Off- Air Promotion: Game of Thrones Season 5 (showcase)
● Most Outstanding On-Air Promotion: ‘Fox Footy- 2015 Season Launch’ (FOX FOOTY)
● Most Outstanding Public Relations Campaign: ‘SLIMEFEST 2014’ (Nickelodeon)
● Most Outstanding Advertising Campaign: ‘Defence Force Recruiting’ for The Recruit Season 1 (FOX8)
“There can be little doubt that subscription television sits apart from its competitors in terms of quality. It gives creative people the freedom to execute campaigns that are diverse, highly creative and sometimes even daring,” said Maiden.
“We regard them as our industry’s unsung heroes, professionals whose work behind the scenes deserves formal recognition, like the stars themselves.”
The ASTRA Industry Excellence Awards, now in its ninth year, are judged by leaders in subscription television and other creative industries, who assess each nomination on its objective, creativity, implementation and success.