Finalists in the best radio ad of 2016 were announced today with leading ad agencies, radio stations and production studios battling it out for the national Siren Awards, to be announced in Melbourne next month.
Ads for Aldi, Maltesers, Jeep, Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, Sportsbet and Nandos are some of the brands amongst the finalists.
The Gold Siren winner will receive a trip to the Cannes Radio Lions in June, accompanied by the client of their winning campaign. In addition, Silver Sirens will be awarded to the winners of the three Siren categories of single, campaign and craft.
Chief executive officer of Commercial Radio Australia, Joan Warner said: “It’s the 12th year of the Siren Awards and entries this year have been outstanding. The awards provide an opportunity for the winner to showcase Australian talent at Cannes, plus it’s the radio industry’s way of recognising ad agencies and clients for their continued support of radio advertising.”
The winners are decided by the Siren Creative Council; a panel of creative directors from leading ad agencies. Finalists are selected from five rounds of Siren voting throughout 2015-16.
There is also a $5000 cash prize for a client-voted award. A panel of clients vote for the best ad from the round 1- 5 overall winners and it is presented to the writers of the winning ad.
Last year’s Gold Siren was won by Matt Dickson, creative solutions director at Southern Cross Austereo Perth, with the ad “We Don’t Do Husbands” promoting pest control company Allpest.
The national Siren Awards are run by Commercial Radio Australia and are designed to recognise the best radio advertising in the country.
2016 Siren Award Finalists
- BMF, Sydney, Cam Blackley, Alex Derwin, David Fraser, Dantie Van Der Merwe, ALDI Australia, El Toro Macho
- BMF, Sydney, Cam Blackley, Alex Derwin, David Fraser, Dantie Van Der Merwe, ALDI Australia, Renberg Cider
- Clemenger BBDO, Melbourne, Elle Bullen & James Orr, Maltesers, Texas Chainsaw Massacre
- Clemenger BBDO, Melbourne, Elle Bullen & James Orr, Maltesers, Child’s Play
- Clemenger BBDO, Melbourne, Elle Bullen & James Orr, Maltesers, Jaws
- George Patterson Y&R, Melbourne, James Wills & Shane Dawson, PTV, Fast Conversation
- Marketforce, Perth, Guy Hamilton Howlett & Neil Martin, iiNet, Loading
- Marketforce, Perth, Pat Lennox, Ben Green & Guy Hamilton Howlett, iiNet, iiNet NBN Buffering ‘Cat Shark’
- Southern Cross Austereo, Perth, Matt Dickson, Allpest, Dutch Oven
- Southern Cross Austereo, Melbourne, Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, Great Scott
- BMF, Sydney, Cam Blackley, Alex Derwin, David Fraser, Dantie Van Der Merwe, ALDI Australia, Liquor Translator
- BMF, Sydney, Cam Blackley, Jim Curtis & Ryan Fitzgerald, Sportsbet, Freedom
- BMF, Sydney, Cam Blackley, James Sexton & Harry Neville Towle, Sportsbet, Cash Out Hotline
- Clemenger BBDO, Melbourne, Elle Bullen & James Orr, Maltesers, Twisted Trailers
- Cummins & Partners, Melbourne, Chris Ellis & Aaron Lipson, Jeep, Wouldn’t You Rather Renegade?
- Leo Burnett, Sydney, Scott Huebscher & Nils Eberhardt, NSW Fire & Rescue, Keep Looking When Cooking
- Leo Burnett, Melbourne, Andrew Woodlead, Callum Fitzhardinge, Blair Kimber, Honda Limited Edition, Do Whatever it Takes
- Nova Entertainment, Adelaide, Darren Russell & Eddie Bye, Bucket O Beef, Bucket O Beef
- Southern Cross Austereo, Perth, Matt Dickson, Westspecs, Shart/Bowel Full of Grapes/Attractive Monkey
- Southern Cross Austereo, Perth, Matt Dickson, Allpest, We Don’t Do Husbands
- Eardrum, Sydney, Colin Simkins (Gusto Studios), Commercial Radio Australia, The Box You Can’t Beat – Mood
- Eardrum, Sydney, Colin Simkins (Gusto Studios), Commercial Radio Australia, The Box You Can’t Beat – Shower
- Flagstaff Studios, Melbourne, Paul Le Couteur, Transport Accident Commission, Enforcement
- Flagstaff Studios, Melbourne, Paul Le Couteur, Maltesers, Texas Chainsaw Massacre
- Flagstaff Studios, Melbourne, Paul Le Couteur, Maltesers, Child’s Play
- Flagstaff Studios, Melbourne, Paul Le Couteur, Maltesers, Jaws
- Flagstaff Studios, Melbourne, Paul Le Couteur, Jeep, Jingle
- Rumble Studios, Sydney, Tone Aston, Sportsbet, Security Doors
- RoscoAudio, Brisbane, Ross Batten, RACQ (The Royal Automobile Club of Queensland), Windscreen Issues
- We Love Jam, Sydney, Hylton Mowday, Nando’s, Matilda
Verizon Media’s talent program has come to an end for the third year, closing with a hybrid pitch-off event for Musicians Making A Difference (MMAD). The Verizon Media Academy class of 2021, made up of 44 emerging leaders from across Australia and New Zealand media, advertising and marketing industry, were given just one hour to […]
Social purpose organisation UnLtd’s Big Games competition has raised a combined $85,000 for children and young people at risk. Running over five weeks, the competition involved 32 teams from across the advertising, marketing and media industries battling it out virtually for a chance to qualify for the Rocket League final. The tournament culminated in a […]
Stan has announced that the Stan Original Film Transfusion commenced filming in Sydney earlier this week and will premiere on Stan in 2022. Transfusion is a taut, muscular thriller starring Sam Worthington (Avatar) as Ryan Logan, a former Special Forces operative, who is battling to cope with life after the loss of his wife and is thrust […]
According to a decade of data collected by iStock, Australian brands turned to imagery depicting outdated gender stereotypes during the pandemic. Tracking the keyword ‘women’, iStock by Getty Images found that in 2020, ANZ brands and businesses reverted to gender stereotypes. Images of mothers home-schooling were used at almost twice the rate of images of […]
Schwartz Media is congratulating Maddison Connaughton on her three years as editor of The Saturday Paper. Connaughton has decided to finish up her editorship this month. “It’s been an honour to edit the paper,” Connaughton said. “The Saturday Paper is one of the brightest voices in Australian media and I have been happy to see […]
Research from EdBbirdie using Spotify data has identified the most popular songs to study to. After analysing thousands of studying and homework playlists on Spotify, American singer Olivia Rodrigo’s ‘drivers license’ came out as top song to study to. It featured on 48 study playlists, while other top songs included ‘Ophelia’ by The Lumineers, ‘Falling’ […]
Dayna Stewart is the Business Director – Digital Marketing, Media & Creative Services at The Nudge Group. Here, she discusses the challenges that come with building a successful marketing team when working remotely. Before COVID-19 changed the way businesses work, most marketing teams spent their days together in a meeting room collaborating on the next […]
The line-up for the 2021 iHeartRadio Music Festival has been announced as the legendary event returns live in Las Vegas in September. This year, the epic two-day lineup for the iHeartRadio Music Festival main stage will feature performances by Billie Eilish, Cheap Trick, Coldplay, Dua Lipa, Florida Georgia Line, Journey, Khalid, Lil Baby, Maroon 5, Nelly, […]
Shop! ANZ is calling on shopper and retail marketing professionals from all retail related disciplines to participate in the first ANZ Shopper and Retail Marketing Industry Survey in four years. This important research provides a guide of where the retail marketing industry in Australia and New Zealand has come from and what is anticipated to […]