Finalists in the best radio ad of 2016 were announced today with leading ad agencies, radio stations and production studios battling it out for the national Siren Awards, to be announced in Melbourne next month.
Ads for Aldi, Maltesers, Jeep, Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, Sportsbet and Nandos are some of the brands amongst the finalists.
The Gold Siren winner will receive a trip to the Cannes Radio Lions in June, accompanied by the client of their winning campaign. In addition, Silver Sirens will be awarded to the winners of the three Siren categories of single, campaign and craft.
Chief executive officer of Commercial Radio Australia, Joan Warner said: “It’s the 12th year of the Siren Awards and entries this year have been outstanding. The awards provide an opportunity for the winner to showcase Australian talent at Cannes, plus it’s the radio industry’s way of recognising ad agencies and clients for their continued support of radio advertising.”
The winners are decided by the Siren Creative Council; a panel of creative directors from leading ad agencies. Finalists are selected from five rounds of Siren voting throughout 2015-16.
There is also a $5000 cash prize for a client-voted award. A panel of clients vote for the best ad from the round 1- 5 overall winners and it is presented to the writers of the winning ad.
Last year’s Gold Siren was won by Matt Dickson, creative solutions director at Southern Cross Austereo Perth, with the ad “We Don’t Do Husbands” promoting pest control company Allpest.
The national Siren Awards are run by Commercial Radio Australia and are designed to recognise the best radio advertising in the country.
2016 Siren Award Finalists
- BMF, Sydney, Cam Blackley, Alex Derwin, David Fraser, Dantie Van Der Merwe, ALDI Australia, El Toro Macho
- BMF, Sydney, Cam Blackley, Alex Derwin, David Fraser, Dantie Van Der Merwe, ALDI Australia, Renberg Cider
- Clemenger BBDO, Melbourne, Elle Bullen & James Orr, Maltesers, Texas Chainsaw Massacre
- Clemenger BBDO, Melbourne, Elle Bullen & James Orr, Maltesers, Child’s Play
- Clemenger BBDO, Melbourne, Elle Bullen & James Orr, Maltesers, Jaws
- George Patterson Y&R, Melbourne, James Wills & Shane Dawson, PTV, Fast Conversation
- Marketforce, Perth, Guy Hamilton Howlett & Neil Martin, iiNet, Loading
- Marketforce, Perth, Pat Lennox, Ben Green & Guy Hamilton Howlett, iiNet, iiNet NBN Buffering ‘Cat Shark’
- Southern Cross Austereo, Perth, Matt Dickson, Allpest, Dutch Oven
- Southern Cross Austereo, Melbourne, Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, Great Scott
- BMF, Sydney, Cam Blackley, Alex Derwin, David Fraser, Dantie Van Der Merwe, ALDI Australia, Liquor Translator
- BMF, Sydney, Cam Blackley, Jim Curtis & Ryan Fitzgerald, Sportsbet, Freedom
- BMF, Sydney, Cam Blackley, James Sexton & Harry Neville Towle, Sportsbet, Cash Out Hotline
- Clemenger BBDO, Melbourne, Elle Bullen & James Orr, Maltesers, Twisted Trailers
- Cummins & Partners, Melbourne, Chris Ellis & Aaron Lipson, Jeep, Wouldn’t You Rather Renegade?
- Leo Burnett, Sydney, Scott Huebscher & Nils Eberhardt, NSW Fire & Rescue, Keep Looking When Cooking
- Leo Burnett, Melbourne, Andrew Woodlead, Callum Fitzhardinge, Blair Kimber, Honda Limited Edition, Do Whatever it Takes
- Nova Entertainment, Adelaide, Darren Russell & Eddie Bye, Bucket O Beef, Bucket O Beef
- Southern Cross Austereo, Perth, Matt Dickson, Westspecs, Shart/Bowel Full of Grapes/Attractive Monkey
- Southern Cross Austereo, Perth, Matt Dickson, Allpest, We Don’t Do Husbands