The best radio ad of 2017 will be contested between 10 of Australia’s leading agencies and production studios from Sydney, Melbourne and Perth as part of the national Siren Awards, which will be announced next month.
Last year’s Gold Siren was won by Melbourne agency Clemenger BBDO for the Maltesers ad titled “Texas Chainsaw Massacre”, created by Elle Bullen and James Orr.
The Melbourne agency dominated the round wins this year and is credited with 11 of the 30 finalist nominations.
Creative radio ads promoting charities, road safety, beer, dog food, fast food, banks, and public transport are amongst the high-quality entrants up for the Gold Siren Award this year.
The Gold Siren winner will receive a trip to the Cannes Radio Lions in June, accompanied by the client of their winning campaign. In addition, Silver Sirens will be awarded to the winners of the three Siren categories of Single, Campaign and Craft.
The winners are decided by the Siren Creative Council – a panel of creative directors from leading ad agencies. Finalists are selected from five rounds and a final call of Siren voting throughout 2016-17. There is also a $5,000 cash prize for a client-voted award.
Stand-up comedian and Fox FM Melbourne breakfast presenter Dave Thornton will host this year’s Siren Awards in Melbourne on Thursday 11 May.
Commercial Radio Australia CEO Joan Warner said: “As an industry, we want to recognise and promote excellent radio advertising. The Siren Awards provide agencies, clients and creatives with a chance to put forward their best ads and an opportunity to compete on the world stage at the Cannes Radio Lions Festival.”
Here are the finalists for this year’s Siren Awards:
- Clemenger BBDO, Melbourne, Adam Barnes and James O’Sullivan, Transport Accident Commission (Victoria), ‘Surgeon’
- Clemenger BBDO, Melbourne, Adam Barnes and James O’Sullivan, Transport Accident Commission (Victoria), ‘Pilot’
- Clemenger BBDO, Melbourne, Elle Bullen and James Orr, Myer, ‘Give Registry – Towels’
- Clemenger BBDO, Melbourne, Evan Roberts and Stephen de Wolf, Transport Accident Commission (Victoria), ‘Every Speed has a Consequence’
- Clemenger BBDO, Melbourne, Joe Sibley and Giles Watson, Mercury Cider, ‘Handshake’
- Clemenger BBDO, Melbourne, Joe Sibley and Giles Watson, Mercury Cider, ‘Sneeze’
- Clemenger BBDO, Melbourne, Richard Shaw and Russel Fox, PEDIGREE DentaFlex, ‘Slipper Breath’
- Clemenger BBDO, Melbourne, Richard Shaw and Russel Fox, PEDIGREE DentaFlex, ‘Tennis Ball Breath’
- Clemenger BBDO, Melbourne, Richard Shaw and Russel Fox, Victoria Bitter, ‘Ticking Clock’
- M&C Saatchi, Sydney, Nick McHugh and Andrea Sarcullo, St. Vincent de Paul Society, ‘Bedroom’
- 303MullenLowe, Perth, Joe Hawkins and Tommy Medalia, Road Safety Commission, ‘Time With Mum’
- BMF, Sydney, Cam Blackley, Alex Derwin, Hans Christian Berents and Gooch Richards, ALDI Australia, ‘Meet the Tinkletons’
- Clemenger BBDO, Melbourne, Elle Bullen and James Orr, Myer, Give Registry – ‘Towels/Plate/Cup’
- Clemenger BBDO, Melbourne, Richard Shaw and Russel Fox, PEDIGREE DentaFlex, ‘Dog Breath Campaign’
- Flagstaff Studios, Melbourne, Ellen Fromm and Isabella Caruso, Lost Dogs Home, ‘Activities/Peak Season/Perfect Dog’
- Flagstaff Studios, Melbourne, Katie Britton and Jake Barrow, Lost Dogs Home, ‘Nachos/Break In/Stayyyy’
- George Patterson Y&R, Melbourne, James Wills and Shane Dawson, Public Transport Victoria, ‘Footy Horns’
- Walter Thompson, Perth, Tim Newton and Wilora Keeley, RAC Security, ‘Alarms’
- Ogilvy, Sydney, Tristan Viney and Carl Robertson, KFC, ‘Nigerian Prince/The Movies/Yoga’
- Ogilvy, Sydney, Tristan Viney and Carl Robertson, KFC, ‘Sounds Like Bacon’
- Eardrum, Sydney, Paul Le Couteur (Flagstaff Studios), PEDIGREE DentaFlex, ‘Gristle Breath’
- Eardrum, Sydney, Paul Le Couteur (Flagstaff Studios), PEDIGREE DentaFlex, ‘Slipper Breath’
- Eardrum, Sydney, Paul Le Couteur (Flagstaff Studios), PEDIGREE DentaFlex, ‘Tennis Ball Breath’
- Flagstaff Studios, Melbourne, Paul Le Couteur, ANZ, ‘Explanation’
- Flagstaff Studios, Melbourne, Paul Le Couteur, Lost Dogs Home, ‘Nachos’
- Flagstaff Studios, Melbourne, Paul Le Couteur, Mercury Cider, ‘Sneeze’
- Flagstaff Studios, Melbourne, Paul Le Couteur, Public Transport Victoria, ‘Hawthorn Horns’
- Flagstaff Studios, Melbourne, Paul Le Couteur, Transport Accident Commission (Victoria), ‘Every Speed has a Consequence’
- Flagstaff Studios, Melbourne, Paul Le Couteur, Victoria Bitter, ‘Ticking Clock’
- Soundbyte, Perth, Brad Habib, Road Safety Commission, ‘Window’
In this piece, Doddle APAC CEO Justin Dery explains why retail marketers should look beyond traditional delivery options this Christmas. 2020 has been a year like no other, and marketers across the world, regardless of industry, have been forced to rethink brand interaction, upweighting digital and tracking rapidly evolving consumer behaviour. This year’s sales season […]
Following an extensive search, Sydney WorldPride today announced the appointment of Adam Zammit to the newly created role of Director, Partnership & Revenue. WorldPride – an international festival celebrating LGBTIQ+ culture and joy – will be held for the first time in the Southern Hemisphere, when the festival comes to Sydney in 2023. Zammit’s key […]
PAW Patrol’s heroic pups are on a roll this summer and ready to spread the word about the importance of water safety, through the PAW Patrol Safety First! prosocial initiative. The water safety program, created in partnership with world champion swimmer and water safety advocate Michael Phelps, launches today with a public service announcement. Starring […]
Independent creative agency, The Core Agency, has created a new campaign for national in-home aged care and disability support provider, Just Better Care. Just Better Care is one of Australia’s largest accredited providers, delivering in-home social and lifestyle support services that enable people to live independently.Its network of over 40 franchise territories provides affordable and […]
Creative agency Andpeople has teamed up with active-streetwear label P.E Nation to create a custom-built augmented reality (AR) dressing room ahead of the label’s latest launch. The digital dressing room was unveiled to coincide with the launch of P.E Nation’s ‘Sustainable in Snow’ collection. In partnership with Andpeople and the globally recognised team behind the […]
From Airbnb to Calm and all the apps in between, the rise of app-based companies calls for specific app advertising solutions, according to Snap Inc. Following the launch of Snap Connect—a tool to help marketers learn about direct response (DR) advertising strategies on Snapchat—Snap has launched an advertising product suite built specifically for app marketers. […]
Ad tech vendor Adform had made a significant step towards promoting transparency in digital advertising, becoming the first global ad tech vendor to subject its tech stack to an independent audit. The audit follows a report released in May 2020 by the ISBA and AOP in the UK. The research, which was executed by PwC, […]
Actor Matthew McConaughey is shining a light on Australian Local Legends, as part of Wild Turkey’s latest ‘Wild Turkey With Thanks’ initiative. In the latest phase of the ‘With Thanks’ platform, McConaughey, who is the creative director of Wild Turkey, chats with Aussies who have stood with conviction, supporting their environment and communities throughout the […]
Queensland’s largest club, mutual insurer, bank and roadside assistance provider, RACQ, launched its new campaign on Sunday, shining a light on its membership model. It’s all smiles and verything is a little brighter when you’re an RACQ member, according to the company’s new campaign, ‘Membership makes all the difference’. It also revealed some of the […]