The first awards shortlists for the 2014 Cannes Lions are here and Australia has a solid presence including four listings in the coveted Creative Effectiveness Lions.
Australia and the UK have four finalists in the 12-strong Creative Effectiveness Lions each, more than any other country.
McCann Melbourne represents half of the Australia showing with two ads for two train clients, including Dumb Ways to Die which is one of the most awarded campaign in the history of Cannes.
Havas Worldwide Australia’s ‘Fair Go Bro’ work for Virgin Mobile and DDB Sydney’s ‘Australia Day’ for McDonald’s also feature. Creative Effectiveness Lions Shortlist:
- McCann Melbourne, ‘Guilt Trips, V/Link
- McCann Melbourne, ‘Dumb Ways to Die’, Metro Trains
- DDB Sydney/ OMD Sydney, ‘Australia Day’, McDonald’s Australia
- Havas Worldwide Australia Sydney / Starcom MediaVest Group Sydney / Revolver / Will O’Rourke Sydney / One Green Bean, ‘Fair Go Bro’, Virgin Mobile
There are 11 places reserved for Australian agencies in the Promo & Activation Lions, including two for Clemenger BBDO Melbourne’s ‘Melbourne Remote Control Tourist’. Grey Melbourne also received two places in the finals for work it completed for ex-client, the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) Promo & Activation Lions shortlist
- Clemenger BBDO Melbourne, ‘Melbourne Remote Control Tourist’, Tourism Victoria (promotional stunts and live advertising)
- Whybin/TBWA Sydney, ‘Repaired with Gold’, Christchurch and Canterbury Tourism
- Clemenger BBDO Melbourne, ‘Boobs’, Pacific Brands
- Grey Melbourne, ‘Wipe off 5’, Transport Accident Commission (sponsorship or partnership campaigns)
- Clemenger BBDO Sydney, ‘Zombie Followers’, Foxtel
- Clemenger BBDO Melbourne, ‘Melbourne Remote Control Tourist’, Tourism Victoria (use of social audience in promotional campaign)
- George Patters Y&R Brisbane, ‘Mozzie Box’, SP Brewery
- Whybin\TBWA Sydney, ‘TAB –Back Gold in Brazil’, TABCORP
- Whybin\TBWA Melbourne, ANZ GayTMS, ANZ
- Grey Melbourne, ‘Ungiven Gifts’, Transport Accident Commission (public health & safety & public awareness messages)
- Ogilvy Melbourne, ‘Dupe’, Yarra Valley Water
McCann’s ‘Phubbing’ campaign for Macquarie Dictionary and Leo Burnett’s ‘Safe Driving Program’ for Samsung have received three places in the Direct Lions shortlist each.
There are 10 Australian campaigns with nominations. Saatchi & Saatchi Sydney’s ‘Penny the Pirate’, Whybin\TBWA’s ‘ GayTMs’ (pictured), DDB Melbourne’s ‘Minute of Silence’ and Whybin\TBWA Sydney’s ‘Paddock of Pride’ all received two nominations each.
GPY&R Melbourne’s ‘Buildboard’ work for Defence Force Recruiting is also a finalists along with CHE Proximity Melbourne’s ‘Alert Shirt’ work for Foxtel and Ogilvy Melbourne’s ‘Dupe’ campaign for Yarra Valley Water.
For the full shortlist click here.
Whybin\TBWA Sydney is a lone agency holding the flag for Australia in the Innovation Lions. It has received a finalists place for its NRMA Crash Test Drive work.
Ten Aussie agencies have received a place in the finals for the PR Lions category with 12 nods in total for Down Under as potential gongs for Whybin\TBWA Melbourne’s ‘GayTMs’ work add up.
Whybin\TBWA Melbourne has received another three finalist places for its ‘GayTms’ push for ANZ. The campaign has made it through to finals in the PR Lions’ category’s retail and restaurants, corporate responsibility and sponsorship subcategories. The full list of local PR Lions finalists:
- WhybinTBWA, ‘GayTMs’, ANZ
- Grey Melbourne/ The Pound Melbourne, ‘Ungiven Gifts’, The Transport Accident Commission
- Ogilvy Melbourne/ One20 Melbourne, ‘Dupe’, Yarra Valley Water
- Banjo Advertising Sydney/ Edelman Sydney/ Syndicate Films Melbourne, ‘The L&B Experiment’, Best & Less
- Havas Worldwide Australia Sydney/ Starcom MediaVest Group Sydney/ Red Agency Sydney/ Method Studios Sydney, ‘Buy the Sky’, Royal Flying Doctor Service
- GPY&R Sydney/ VML Sydney/ iKraal Cape Town, ‘It’s Feeding Time’, Cronulla Sharks
- JWT Sydney/ Hill & Knowlton Sydney/ Collider Sydney, ‘I Touch Myself’, Cancer Council NSW
- JWT Sydney/ Initiative Sydney/ Adhesive PR Sydney/ Finch Sydney, ‘Attention Powered Car’, Royal Automobile Club of Western Australia
- McCann Melbourne/ Airbag Productions Melbourne, ‘Phubbing’, Macquarie Dictionary
Please login with linkedin to commentAdobe AusVeg Authentic Entertainment Banjo Advertising Sydney Dumb Ways To Die GayTMs GPY&R Brisbane GPY&R Sydney Grey Melbourne Havas Sydney JWT Sydney MCM Media Phubbing Transport Accident Commission Tribal Worldwide Twitter Whybin\TBWA Melbourne Whybin\TBWA Sydney
Acast, the independent power source of podcasting has teamed up with Comscore to provide brand suitability controls for brands advertising through the Acast Marketplace. This new innovation is part of a global partnership with Comscore, and will be available to all advertisers working with Acast Australia and New Zealand. The brand suitability solutions offered by […]
Media agency Wavemaker has appointed Susie Si as group business director – to lead the Vodafone account. Si joins from sister agency MediaCom, where she has spent the last 8 years. Most recently she was group client lead on News Corp. Si will report to Wavemaker Sydney managing director Ian Edwards, and replaces Emily Cook […]
Headquartered in Melbourne, Trade Indy is expanding off the back of strong client retention and consistent growth through existing and new business. Founded in Melbourne in 2014, the team have since expanded the business through team members in Singapore, Indonesia, Tasmania and Queensland, and are pleased to announce the full-time employment of NSW commercial director […]
Outbrain Inc. has announced the pricing of its initial public offering of 8,000,000 shares of common stock at a price to the public of US$20.00 per share. The gross proceeds to Outbrain from the offering, before deducting the underwriting discounts and commissions and offering expenses, are expected to be approximately $160 million. The shares began […]
HubSpot, the customer relationship management (CRM) platform for scaling companies, has announced that as part of its World Certification Week, it is supporting the GO Foundation with its mission to empower young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people through education. As part of the support, HubSpot will donate $5 for every HubSpot Academy certification awarded […]
IntelligenceBank has today announced a strategic growth investment from Five Elms Capital. The $US37 million ($50 million) investment comes as brands and enterprises have realised that outdated technologies, disjointed data sources, and manual processes make it challenging to efficiently manage essential marketing workflows and ensure compliance across the organization. IntelligenceBank digitally transforms manual processes and […]
Southern Cross Austero (SCA) announced today 10 all-new DAB+ music stations on LiSTNr. The introduction of the 10 new Dab stations takes the number of music stations to 25 and reinforces its commitment to growing exclusive music programs and content. The 10 new stations have been created to cater to a variety of moods and […]
SBS has launched live interpreting of the daily NSW Government COVID-19 press conference in languages other than English, to provide communities with access to the latest information and critical health messages. The national-first initiative provides real-time interpreting of the press conferences in Arabic and Vietnamese, streamed live every day on the SBS Arabic24 and SBS Vietnamese Facebook pages, SBS […]
Snowflake, the Data Cloud company, today announced it has been chosen by market-leading linking platform, Linktree, to support the company’s business intelligence and analytics activities. Linktree enables creators, brands, artists, publishers, agencies, and businesses of all sizes to curate an online ecosystem and monetise their passion, instantly guiding their audience to the destinations they care […]
Australian Pay On Demand fintech Beforepay has launched its first-ever brand campaign: ‘Your pay at your command’. “Beforepay exists to meet a gap in the market where Australians are seeking flexibility and control to access the pay they’ve earned on their terms. As pioneers of the Pay On Demand category, it’s important that we set […]
Taboola (Nasdaq: TBLA), a global leader in powering recommendations for the open web, helping people discover things they may like, announced today that it has entered into a definitive purchase agreement to acquire Connexity from Symphony Technology Group for approximately $US800 million. Connexity is one of the largest independent e-commerce media platforms in the open web, serving over 1,600 direct merchants, and 6,000 publishers.
Twitter has just experienced its fastest growth in revenue since 2014, with the social media platform benefiting from increased interest from advertisers. Revenue was up 74 per cent YoY, according to the company’s Q2 results, reaching $US1.19 billion ($1.6 billion) from $US683.4 million ($925 million) 12 months ago. The strong results came in the same […]