The first awards shortlists for the 2014 Cannes Lions are here and Australia has a solid presence including four listings in the coveted Creative Effectiveness Lions.
Australia and the UK have four finalists in the 12-strong Creative Effectiveness Lions each, more than any other country.
McCann Melbourne represents half of the Australia showing with two ads for two train clients, including Dumb Ways to Die which is one of the most awarded campaign in the history of Cannes.
Havas Worldwide Australia’s ‘Fair Go Bro’ work for Virgin Mobile and DDB Sydney’s ‘Australia Day’ for McDonald’s also feature. Creative Effectiveness Lions Shortlist:
- McCann Melbourne, ‘Guilt Trips, V/Link
- McCann Melbourne, ‘Dumb Ways to Die’, Metro Trains
- DDB Sydney/ OMD Sydney, ‘Australia Day’, McDonald’s Australia
- Havas Worldwide Australia Sydney / Starcom MediaVest Group Sydney / Revolver / Will O’Rourke Sydney / One Green Bean, ‘Fair Go Bro’, Virgin Mobile
There are 11 places reserved for Australian agencies in the Promo & Activation Lions, including two for Clemenger BBDO Melbourne’s ‘Melbourne Remote Control Tourist’. Grey Melbourne also received two places in the finals for work it completed for ex-client, the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) Promo & Activation Lions shortlist
- Clemenger BBDO Melbourne, ‘Melbourne Remote Control Tourist’, Tourism Victoria (promotional stunts and live advertising)
- Whybin/TBWA Sydney, ‘Repaired with Gold’, Christchurch and Canterbury Tourism
- Clemenger BBDO Melbourne, ‘Boobs’, Pacific Brands
- Grey Melbourne, ‘Wipe off 5’, Transport Accident Commission (sponsorship or partnership campaigns)
- Clemenger BBDO Sydney, ‘Zombie Followers’, Foxtel
- Clemenger BBDO Melbourne, ‘Melbourne Remote Control Tourist’, Tourism Victoria (use of social audience in promotional campaign)
- George Patters Y&R Brisbane, ‘Mozzie Box’, SP Brewery
- Whybin\TBWA Sydney, ‘TAB –Back Gold in Brazil’, TABCORP
- Whybin\TBWA Melbourne, ANZ GayTMS, ANZ
- Grey Melbourne, ‘Ungiven Gifts’, Transport Accident Commission (public health & safety & public awareness messages)
- Ogilvy Melbourne, ‘Dupe’, Yarra Valley Water
McCann’s ‘Phubbing’ campaign for Macquarie Dictionary and Leo Burnett’s ‘Safe Driving Program’ for Samsung have received three places in the Direct Lions shortlist each.
There are 10 Australian campaigns with nominations. Saatchi & Saatchi Sydney’s ‘Penny the Pirate’, Whybin\TBWA’s ‘ GayTMs’ (pictured), DDB Melbourne’s ‘Minute of Silence’ and Whybin\TBWA Sydney’s ‘Paddock of Pride’ all received two nominations each.
GPY&R Melbourne’s ‘Buildboard’ work for Defence Force Recruiting is also a finalists along with CHE Proximity Melbourne’s ‘Alert Shirt’ work for Foxtel and Ogilvy Melbourne’s ‘Dupe’ campaign for Yarra Valley Water.
For the full shortlist click here.
Whybin\TBWA Sydney is a lone agency holding the flag for Australia in the Innovation Lions. It has received a finalists place for its NRMA Crash Test Drive work.
Ten Aussie agencies have received a place in the finals for the PR Lions category with 12 nods in total for Down Under as potential gongs for Whybin\TBWA Melbourne’s ‘GayTMs’ work add up.
Whybin\TBWA Melbourne has received another three finalist places for its ‘GayTms’ push for ANZ. The campaign has made it through to finals in the PR Lions’ category’s retail and restaurants, corporate responsibility and sponsorship subcategories. The full list of local PR Lions finalists:
- WhybinTBWA, ‘GayTMs’, ANZ
- Grey Melbourne/ The Pound Melbourne, ‘Ungiven Gifts’, The Transport Accident Commission
- Ogilvy Melbourne/ One20 Melbourne, ‘Dupe’, Yarra Valley Water
- Banjo Advertising Sydney/ Edelman Sydney/ Syndicate Films Melbourne, ‘The L&B Experiment’, Best & Less
- Havas Worldwide Australia Sydney/ Starcom MediaVest Group Sydney/ Red Agency Sydney/ Method Studios Sydney, ‘Buy the Sky’, Royal Flying Doctor Service
- GPY&R Sydney/ VML Sydney/ iKraal Cape Town, ‘It’s Feeding Time’, Cronulla Sharks
- JWT Sydney/ Hill & Knowlton Sydney/ Collider Sydney, ‘I Touch Myself’, Cancer Council NSW
- JWT Sydney/ Initiative Sydney/ Adhesive PR Sydney/ Finch Sydney, ‘Attention Powered Car’, Royal Automobile Club of Western Australia
- McCann Melbourne/ Airbag Productions Melbourne, ‘Phubbing’, Macquarie Dictionary
Please login with linkedin to commentAdobe AusVeg Authentic Entertainment Banjo Advertising Sydney Dumb Ways To Die GayTMs GPY&R Brisbane GPY&R Sydney Grey Melbourne Havas Sydney JWT Sydney MCM Media Phubbing Transport Accident Commission Tribal Worldwide Twitter Whybin\TBWA Melbourne Whybin\TBWA Sydney
Over the years, VEGEMITE has been largely misunderstood across the globe, with Aussies often having to defend the spread and detail exactly “how to” best enjoy the stuff. But as it turns out, Australians have been getting it wrong this whole time! VEGEMITE and Thinkerbell ventured to food mecca New York to recruit Brooklyn Master […]
Subway has this week, officially launched its digital game Sink A Sub, with the first $10,000 prize already being awarded to a lucky recipient in Queensland. Subway’s Sink A Sub game is a user-friendly experience based on the infamous naval war board game Battleship. It was successfully launched for the first time in 2020 as […]
National Indigenous Television (NITV) has announced the appointment of Peter Noble as general manager, to support the continued growth and evolution of the channel dedicated to First Nations voices and perspectives. Noble (pictured) a proud Girramay and Bandjin man, joins NITV with more than 20 years’ experience in the media industry, working across content disciplines […]
Reality TV star, influencer and unabashed over-sharer Abbie Chatfield has signed with SCA to bring her hugely popular and fiercely candid podcast, It’s A Lot to Australia’s biggest audio content creator – LiSTNR. Chatfield’s never been afraid to call out bad behaviour or tell it like it is. And that’s just what people love about […]
CM Group, a portfolio of martech companies focused on multichannel digital marketing, today announced its merger with Cheetah Digital under the CM Group name. The merger expands and enhances both CM Group’s and Cheetah Digital’s ability to deliver innovative email, omnichannel, personalization, and loyalty solutions. The combined company will own a broad array of technologies […]
Independent ad tech platform Smart has announced a new partnership with connected TV (CTV) ad platform Publica to accelerate its growth ambitions. The integration is a major step in Smart’s commitment to building a scaled, vertically-integrated TV advertising platform for media buyers and sellers following its recent acquisition of global premium CTV demand-side platform (DSP) […]
Independent creative agency Edge has launched Nevro’s first local campaign, “I am not my pain”. Nevro is a medical technology company offering innovative solutions to chronic pain. Their HFX therapy has been available in Australia since 2011 and is a form of spinal cord stimulation (SCS), where an electrical device is implanted surgically near the […]
Pinterest has introduced a new suite of creator and Pinner products and experiences globally, as the platform continues to evolve to become home for the next generation of creators. At its second annual Pinterest Creators Festival, featuring Megan Thee Stallion and Storm Reid. Pinterest creators Kerin Rose Gold, Wendy’s World, Henri Purnell, Carolina Gelen and […]