The first awards shortlists for the 2014 Cannes Lions are here and Australia has a solid presence including four listings in the coveted Creative Effectiveness Lions.
Australia and the UK have four finalists in the 12-strong Creative Effectiveness Lions each, more than any other country.
McCann Melbourne represents half of the Australia showing with two ads for two train clients, including Dumb Ways to Die which is one of the most awarded campaign in the history of Cannes.
Havas Worldwide Australia’s ‘Fair Go Bro’ work for Virgin Mobile and DDB Sydney’s ‘Australia Day’ for McDonald’s also feature. Creative Effectiveness Lions Shortlist:
- McCann Melbourne, ‘Guilt Trips, V/Link
- McCann Melbourne, ‘Dumb Ways to Die’, Metro Trains
- DDB Sydney/ OMD Sydney, ‘Australia Day’, McDonald’s Australia
- Havas Worldwide Australia Sydney / Starcom MediaVest Group Sydney / Revolver / Will O’Rourke Sydney / One Green Bean, ‘Fair Go Bro’, Virgin Mobile
There are 11 places reserved for Australian agencies in the Promo & Activation Lions, including two for Clemenger BBDO Melbourne’s ‘Melbourne Remote Control Tourist’. Grey Melbourne also received two places in the finals for work it completed for ex-client, the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) Promo & Activation Lions shortlist
- Clemenger BBDO Melbourne, ‘Melbourne Remote Control Tourist’, Tourism Victoria (promotional stunts and live advertising)
- Whybin/TBWA Sydney, ‘Repaired with Gold’, Christchurch and Canterbury Tourism
- Clemenger BBDO Melbourne, ‘Boobs’, Pacific Brands
- Grey Melbourne, ‘Wipe off 5’, Transport Accident Commission (sponsorship or partnership campaigns)
- Clemenger BBDO Sydney, ‘Zombie Followers’, Foxtel
- Clemenger BBDO Melbourne, ‘Melbourne Remote Control Tourist’, Tourism Victoria (use of social audience in promotional campaign)
- George Patters Y&R Brisbane, ‘Mozzie Box’, SP Brewery
- Whybin\TBWA Sydney, ‘TAB –Back Gold in Brazil’, TABCORP
- Whybin\TBWA Melbourne, ANZ GayTMS, ANZ
- Grey Melbourne, ‘Ungiven Gifts’, Transport Accident Commission (public health & safety & public awareness messages)
- Ogilvy Melbourne, ‘Dupe’, Yarra Valley Water
McCann’s ‘Phubbing’ campaign for Macquarie Dictionary and Leo Burnett’s ‘Safe Driving Program’ for Samsung have received three places in the Direct Lions shortlist each.
There are 10 Australian campaigns with nominations. Saatchi & Saatchi Sydney’s ‘Penny the Pirate’, Whybin\TBWA’s ‘ GayTMs’ (pictured), DDB Melbourne’s ‘Minute of Silence’ and Whybin\TBWA Sydney’s ‘Paddock of Pride’ all received two nominations each.
GPY&R Melbourne’s ‘Buildboard’ work for Defence Force Recruiting is also a finalists along with CHE Proximity Melbourne’s ‘Alert Shirt’ work for Foxtel and Ogilvy Melbourne’s ‘Dupe’ campaign for Yarra Valley Water.
For the full shortlist click here.
Whybin\TBWA Sydney is a lone agency holding the flag for Australia in the Innovation Lions. It has received a finalists place for its NRMA Crash Test Drive work.
Ten Aussie agencies have received a place in the finals for the PR Lions category with 12 nods in total for Down Under as potential gongs for Whybin\TBWA Melbourne’s ‘GayTMs’ work add up.
Whybin\TBWA Melbourne has received another three finalist places for its ‘GayTms’ push for ANZ. The campaign has made it through to finals in the PR Lions’ category’s retail and restaurants, corporate responsibility and sponsorship subcategories. The full list of local PR Lions finalists:
- WhybinTBWA, ‘GayTMs’, ANZ
- Grey Melbourne/ The Pound Melbourne, ‘Ungiven Gifts’, The Transport Accident Commission
- Ogilvy Melbourne/ One20 Melbourne, ‘Dupe’, Yarra Valley Water
- Banjo Advertising Sydney/ Edelman Sydney/ Syndicate Films Melbourne, ‘The L&B Experiment’, Best & Less
- Havas Worldwide Australia Sydney/ Starcom MediaVest Group Sydney/ Red Agency Sydney/ Method Studios Sydney, ‘Buy the Sky’, Royal Flying Doctor Service
- GPY&R Sydney/ VML Sydney/ iKraal Cape Town, ‘It’s Feeding Time’, Cronulla Sharks
- JWT Sydney/ Hill & Knowlton Sydney/ Collider Sydney, ‘I Touch Myself’, Cancer Council NSW
- JWT Sydney/ Initiative Sydney/ Adhesive PR Sydney/ Finch Sydney, ‘Attention Powered Car’, Royal Automobile Club of Western Australia
- McCann Melbourne/ Airbag Productions Melbourne, ‘Phubbing’, Macquarie Dictionary
Please login with linkedin to commentAdobe AusVeg Authentic Entertainment Banjo Advertising Sydney Dumb Ways To Die GayTMs GPY&R Brisbane GPY&R Sydney Grey Melbourne Havas Sydney JWT Sydney MCM Media Phubbing Transport Accident Commission Tribal Worldwide Twitter Whybin\TBWA Melbourne Whybin\TBWA Sydney
Droga5 London has launched a new corporate and visual identity for CUPRA, the new high-performance car division of SEAT Group, challenging the conventions of design in the car category. The identity is part of the new brand platform, ‘Another Way’, and provides CUPRA with an unexpected modular visual language that shows both the car and […]
Global creative platform Shutterstock has entered an agreement to purchase TurboSquid, considered the world’s largest 3D marketplace. For more than 20 years, TurboSquid has been a 3D industry leader, offering a unified 3D workflow, and operating a marketplace offering of more than 1 million 3D models, a 2D marketplace derived from 3D objects, and a […]
M&C Saatchi’s webinar series Open House kicked off last night, with an introductory session from Justin Graham, Group CEO AUNZ and Timothy Ng (pictured below), Account Manager. Open House is an initiative that consists of a series of free webinars, as well offering participants the chance to secure a paid internship, aimed at career movers, […]
WPP was today named in the 2021 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index (GEI) for the third consecutive year. The Index recognises companies committed to advancing gender equality in the workplace through policy development, representation and transparency. The 2021 GEI is made up of 380 companies from 11 sectors headquartered across 44 countries and regions, all raising the […]
The Australian Road Safety Foundation (ARSF) has teamed up with Spotify and some of Queensland’s leading musicians in a national first that will geotarget drivers within school zones. The Slow Down Songs campaign, which is being piloted in Queensland, will work to keep kids safe within school zones by dramatically slowing down songs and serving […]
Florida’s chief financial officer on Monday (local time) told the International Olympic Committee that Florida would be happy to host the Olympics amid speculation that current host Japan may back out. Jimmy Patronis sent a letter to Thomas Bach, the head of the IOC, as Agence France-Presse reports, “to encourage you to consider relocating the […]
There are few industries that have been hit harder by the coronavirus pandemic than events, with agencies forced to pivot in surprising and innovative directions to survive. Nigel Ruffell is the director of The Company We Keep, a live brand experience agency that hosts events at 15,000 pax, and opened its doors in 2018. With […]
Australian business and finance expert Ross Greenwood has signed exclusively with Sky News Australia as business editor and anchor of Business Weekend. With more than 40 years’ experience covering business news in Australia and around the world, Greenwood brings expertise to the role of Sky News business editor where he will lead the network’s business […]