B&T’s Cannes columnists – R/GA’s Kate Allan and Dane Van Veen (winners of News Corp 2016 Australian Young Lions) – have landed on the French Riveria for the annual Adland trophy fest also known as the Cannes Lions. And here’s the first of their guest columns as the duo navigate their way through the endless parties, Champagne and (often) bruised egos…
Cannes Young Lions: Day 1
Bonjour! This is Dane and Kate coming in hot from beautiful Cannes via the interwebs. We’re Australia’s Young Lions cyber team with the ultimate Gold Lion cyber dream. For the next 10 days we’re bringing you all the dirty details from La Croisette. In true Millennial style, we’re kicking things off with a listicle, inspired by 37.5 hours travel time and not a whole lot of sleep.
France and Australia are half a world apart and culture shock can be a real problem for first-time visitors, so it’s best to be prepared. They may sound alike but there are lots of differences between Cannes on the French Riviera and Cairns in Far North Queensland. Here are 20 that we’ve discovered so far.
- Cannes has a silent ‘s’.
- A flight to Cairns doesn’t require three stopovers and a big dose of Valium.
- In Cannes the locals speak a foreign language. In Cairns the locals sound like they’re speaking a foreign language.
- In Cannes you sip Rosé. In Cairns you skull XXXX Gold.
- In Cairns you can watch the sunrise over the Pacific Ocean. In Cannes you can watch it set over the French Riviera.
- Celebrities flock to Cannes for the international festivals of film and creativity. In Cairns, tourists turn up every year for the world’s largest Ukulele Festival.
- In Cannes you have to watch out for pickpockets. In Cairns you have to watch out for crocodiles.
- In Cannes you wear boat shoes. In Cairns you don’t wear shoes at all.
- Cairns coastline is abundant with native birdlife. Cannes coastline is abundant with budgie smugglers.
- In Cannes frog legs are a delicacy. In Cairns, they’re road kill.
- Men in Cannes cruise around in Ferraris. Men in Cairns do mainies in Utes.
- Croissants are the pastry of choice in Cannes. In Cairns, nothing satisfies hunger quite like the Chicko roll.
- In Cannes you party on a yacht. In Cairns you go whomping in a tinny.
- Cairns has the world’s most beautiful beaches. Cannes has the world’s most beautiful people on a pretty average beach.
- In Cairns you’ll never have a bad day. In Cannes you’ll never use the bidet.
- Cannes has great shopping, great restaurants and a great casino. Cairns has the Great Barrier Reef.
- In Cairns the wildlife will kill you. In Cannes the prices will kill you.
- In Cairns you eat a steak. In Cannes you dine on filet mignon.
- In Cannes you go ‘oui oui’. In Cairns you go wee wee.
- Cairns is full of frogs. Oh wait, so is Cannes 😉
Tune in tomorrow for something more informative (or possibly just another listicle).
TRENDii has announced TRENDii Ads, a new contextual advertising solution that leverages content and context to promote eCommerce products at scale around the world. TRENDii Ads is user privacy friendly and offers a new way for businesses and brands to target consumers at the moment that they are most inspired to shop. “We believe good […]
ARN and The New York Times have reached an agreement for ARN to become the advertising sales representative for The New York Times’s podcast portfolio in Australia. The deal will enable Australian brands to connect with Australian listeners to The New York Times’s most popular podcasts, such as The Daily, Serial and This American Life, […]
Verizon Media’s talent program has come to an end for the third year, closing with a hybrid pitch-off event for Musicians Making A Difference (MMAD). The Verizon Media Academy class of 2021, made up of 44 emerging leaders from across Australia and New Zealand media, advertising and marketing industry, were given just one hour to […]
Social purpose organisation UnLtd’s Big Games competition has raised a combined $85,000 for children and young people at risk. Running over five weeks, the competition involved 32 teams from across the advertising, marketing and media industries battling it out virtually for a chance to qualify for the Rocket League final. The tournament culminated in a […]
Stan has announced that the Stan Original Film Transfusion commenced filming in Sydney earlier this week and will premiere on Stan in 2022. Transfusion is a taut, muscular thriller starring Sam Worthington (Avatar) as Ryan Logan, a former Special Forces operative, who is battling to cope with life after the loss of his wife and is thrust […]
According to a decade of data collected by iStock, Australian brands turned to imagery depicting outdated gender stereotypes during the pandemic. Tracking the keyword ‘women’, iStock by Getty Images found that in 2020, ANZ brands and businesses reverted to gender stereotypes. Images of mothers home-schooling were used at almost twice the rate of images of […]