Australia’s only dedicated newspaper for children, Crinkling News, has announced it will cease publishing after two years.
Saffron Howden and Remi Bianchi, founders of Crinkling News, broke the news to readers via a statement on the publication’s website late yesterday, which was also shared on Twitter.
We are so proud to have brought the news to kids for nearly two years. But it is with heavy hearts we announce Crinkling News will no longer be publishing. A full statement from our founders is available here: https://t.co/yn3DfvnQvU
— Crinkling News (@crinklingnewsau) January 16, 2018
“We are very sorry to say we cannot keep publishing the newspaper with the resources we have,” the statement said.
“There are big, exciting opportunities out there for Crinkling News and for you, the kids of Australia. But it will need a much bigger business, government or philanthropy to take all the amazing things we have done together and keep the momentum going.”
Howden and Bianchi said they “made every cent stretch as far as it possibly could” from a crowdfunding campaign last year, which raised $200,000 for Crinkling News to continue publishing.
“That money allowed us to cover news for kids for a further eight months, launch Australia’s inaugural media literacy conference for young people, do the first research into how kids and teens get their news across the nation, and more,” they said.