Pay inequality, poor careers paths plague women: survey

Pay inequality, poor careers paths plague women: survey
SHARE
THIS



Australian women still face significant career barriers in the workplace, a survey of 400 professional women between the ages of 18 and 65 has revealed.

The What Women Want @ Work study commissioned by LinkedIn and conductd by Cross-Tab found that nearly half (49%) of professional women identified pay inequality as a major challenge as well as a lack of a career path (52%) and the lack of investment in professional development (43%). Worryingly, the glass ceiling (25%) and sexism in the workplace (19%) continue weight heavily on women’s minds.

Interestingly, the majority of Australian women (65%) define professional success as having the right balance between work and personal life. This is a dramatic change to what women defined success as a decade ago, when only 35% of women defined success as such.

Over the same period, the importance placed on salary when defining professional accomplishments decreased from 64% to 43%, while ‘having an interesting job’ came out as a key measurement for success at 62%.

Overall, women in Australia feel confident about their careers and upbeat about their ability to have a fulfilling work and family life. A massive 82 per cent of the 400 Australian respondents consider their careers ‘successful’, while 70% of those with children believe they can ‘have it all’. On the issue of how children will affect career ambitions, however, women are split. The study found 48% of those currently without children believe they will not slow down their careers, while the remaining 52% feel they will.

The majority (58%) of working women would like greater flexibility within the workplace. A flexible work environment emerged as the most important factor in determining the ‘success of the next generation of professional women’ according to 84% of respondents. Flexibility was deemed more important than having a ‘greater representation of women at senior levels’ (68%).

Please login with linkedin to comment

Latest News

AFR Remya Ramesh head of digital experience at Coles for BOSS Young Executive of the Year  Wednesday 16th June 2021 Photo by Eamon Gallagher
  • Media

AFR BOSS Names Winners Of 2021 Boss Young Executives Awards

In a year where ‘business as usual’ is anything but, AFR BOSS reveals six of Australia’s most inspirational and outstanding young leaders who excelled during the pandemic. The six have been crowned the 2021 BOSS Young Executives in the prestigious awards program, now in its 18th year. Run in conjunction with global leadership consulting firm […]

QMS Renews Contract With Manboom
  • Marketing

QMS Renews Contract With Manboom

On first inspection, B&T was hoping to bring you some manboobs news here. But as you'll see, it's a girdle-free read.

Marketing strategy on digital mobile platform - cross-device tracking programmatic advertising and multi targeting with laptop and mobile phone gadgets.
  • Technology

Index Exchange And MediaMath Join The Human Collective

HUMAN Security (formerly White Ops) today announced two new founding Human Collective members: Index Exchange and MediaMath. Together they participated in thought-provoking panel discussions during the recent IAB Tech Lab CTV & Video Advertising: Growing with Standards virtual event where they emphasized how important it is to work together in the fight against fraud on […]

by B&T Magazine

B&T Magazine
SCA Appoints Cathrine McVeigh To Head Of Audio Production And Operations
  • Media

SCA Appoints Cathrine McVeigh To Head Of Audio Production And Operations

SCA has announced the appointment of Cathrine McVeigh to head of audio production and operations. She will be part of the content leadership team. In the newly created role, McVeigh will oversee the creation of SCA’s new audio production and content operations hub and lead a combined team across the country to deliver a rapidly […]