Every day people use Snapchat to express themselves, live in the moment and learn about the world around them and 2021 was no different.
Lenses inspire our community, help them connect with their closest friends, and discover endless possibilities through our Camera.
Over the years, we’ve taken some of the most innovative technologies and applied them to AR. Concepts that many consider futuristic are actually being used by millions of Snapchatters each day, built by our thriving community of AR experts.
Below are a list of lenses:
Top Cultural Moments + Festivals
- IDAHOBIT x BPANG by breneric: To celebrate the diversity of the Snap community we partnered with Masterchef allum Brendan Pang who created an inclusive lens to mark International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Intersexism and Transphobia (IDAHOBIT).
- Brendan joined youth from leading not-for-profit organisation Minus18 who created a number of lenses to encourage visibility within the Snap community, in a Lens building workshop.
Top Viral Lens
- 3D Cartoon by Snap: From celebrities to pets, the world simply couldn’t and wouldn’t stop turning themselves into cartoon characters. The Lens has been viewed over 7 billion times!
- Over 6 million Snapchatters in Australia engaged with the Lens and it generated over 98 million impressions.
Top Brand Use of Augmented Reality
- Sweat by Snap: Global fitness app, Sweat, partnered with Snapchat to launch a fun augmented reality workout Lens. Utilising Snap’s innovative 3D full-body tracking technology – the Sweat AR Lens on Snapchat moves with your entire body, tracks exercise movement, and even helps maintain correct technique and form.
- Hyundai Kona by Snap: In partnership with Hyundai, Snap created an interactive Lens for users to bring the new Hyundai Kona into their own space. Aussie Snapchatters can explore the car and the latest technology that Kona has to offer, in the comfort of their own home.
With over 6 billion plays per day on average, Lenses offer a unique window into the year’s cultural moments, achievements in AR innovation, and trends that made a lasting impact. Join us as we celebrate our community and the 2021 Lenses that revolutionized the way Snapchatters create, explore, learn, and play.
Sophia Dominguez, Snap’s head of AR Platform Partnerships, said, “We’re amazed by the creativity and technical prowess of our community that has supercharged Snapchatters’ appetite for augmented reality.
“This year, we’ve continued to see Lens Creators, as well as our team here at Snap, build Lenses that not only help Snapchatters better express themselves but help them learn about the world around them and solve problems in their daily lives.”
This International Women’s Day, CARE Australia will celebrate women as global change-makers amid increasingly frequent conflicts and climate-related crises, with Ashleigh Streeter-Jones, Natalie Kyriacou OAM, and Justine Cullen spearheading the initiative as ambassadors. Lead image: Ashleigh Streeter-Jones In its third consecutive year, the ambassadors will champion CARE Australia’s Her Circle initiative, which recognises that: when […]
Warner Brothers Discovery’s Newshub is set to close its doors in June 2024, leaving up to 300 staff, including high-profile presenters Mike McRoberts and Samantha Hayes, out of a job. In a statement today, Warner Bros. Discovery said it had started consultation on a “proposed remodelling and restructure of its ANZ free-to-air business in New […]
Australian Turf Club invites racing lovers across Australia to Expect It All with the launch of the latest creative campaign to highlight the racing on offer in Sydney at Rosehill Gardens and Royal Randwick. The campaign, which will officially launch ahead of this year’s Sydney Autumn Racing Carnival, highlights the wide range of incredible experiences […]
Something insane swept to New Zealand as finals approached last year. “Wahs Mania” took hold, and hope was ignited in the hearts of Kiwis who mostly didn’t usually care about League. Sadly, the Warriors didn’t make it through to the grand final, but the clubs following saw a massive increase nonetheless. Welcome back to B&T’s Spotlight […]
Avid Collective has officially announced the appointment of former Scout Publishing and Junkee Media executive Niki Jones (lead image) as its new head of enablement operations. In the newly created role, Jones will be responsible for overseeing operational activities across various arms of business with a focus on partner engagement. “Niki’s appointment comes at an […]