Fairfax has revealed that overall revenue for the group is off to a negative start this financial year, as the publisher prepares to list its real estate business on the ASX.
In a trading update to shareholders, Fairfax noted that overall group revenue is down between 4 and 5 per cent since the start of the 2017-18 financial year.
Revenue from metro media has dropped 11 per cent since 1 July, while community media revenue is down 10 per cent, and Macquarie Media’s revenue has slipped 4 per cent.
On a positive note, Domain’s total revenue has grown 13 per cent so far this fiscal year, with digital revenue up 22 per cent.
However, the costs for Fairfax’s real estate business are expected to increase by 13 per cent in FY18 from the $206 million last financial year.
The figures come as Fairfax prepares to issue a separation scheme booklet to shareholders for Domain today.
In announcing its full-year results for FY17 last month, the company said it expects Domain shares to commence trading in mid to late November.
Fairfax plans to retain 60 per cent of Domain once it is listed separately on the ASX, with the remaining 40 per cent to go to Fairfax shareholders.
Fairfax’s trading update also coincides with the announcement that Domain is expanding into the insurance space.
Domain Insure will launch later this year in conjunction with insurance specialist Envest, and will act as a digital solution for Domain customers seeking to meet their insurance requirements arising from buying, selling or renting property.
According to a statement by Domain, the new venture is set to offer customers “a personalised experience to access high-quality insurance products, and will work with a range of leading insurers in the industry to offer comprehensive cover and choice”.
Aussie retail payments platform Afterpay has launched a new global look, feel and positioning with a fresh brand identity. Founded out of Bondi, Sydney, Australia five years ago, Afterpay has skyrocketed to infinite heights, with almost 10 million customers and 55,000-plus merchants now using the platform globally across Australia, US, UK (where it is called […]
How Communications’ China marketing director, Doris Li, believes ad-land professionals must be courageous enough “to be abnormal”, and listen to their hearts, to be fearless in times of change. During this year’s B&T Women in Media Awards, presented by Bauer Media, we’ll be recognising exceptional people who have achieved success in their professional arenas, celebrating […]
The holding companies might be losing as much as 23 per cent of their revenue year-on-year, but new business has remained relatively resilient through 2020, the lastest research from R3 has revealed. In the first half of 2020 total new business revenue decreased 10 per cent globally – but creative agencies are having to find […]
Independent communications consultancy The Mint Partners has bolstered its integrated client roster and signed a number of premium lifestyle brands to kick start the new financial year. With an array of new products, services, and a focus on insight-led and creative integrated communications, MINT has enjoyed recent success with an expanded portfolio across new categories including fintech, […]
A feature length documentary on the extraordinary racing career of Australia’s first Formula 1 champion, Sir Jack Brabham, co-produced by design, animation and visual effects house Heckler, will be available on Stan exclusively from this Friday – 7 August. Directed by Ákos Armont (Aurora Films) in association with Heckler, whose co-founder Will Alexander served as […]
In a first for the Australian insurance market, Club Marine, Australia’s largest provider of boat and pleasure-craft insurance, has released a new series of videos to help explain insurance cover. With a few familiar Aussie personalities to help out, Club Marine is helping its members, as well as the broader boating community, to understand the […]