Samsung Electronics Australia has this week announced the lineup of five budding recording artists for its UNDSCVRD competition, a TikTok docu-style reality series aimed to bring the spotlight to the rising music talent in the country.
The series, presented by Samsung Galaxy, brings together five musical talents from across the country who were hand-picked by ARIA award-winning Australian pop-rock icons, The Veronicas.
UNDSCVRD will document the journey of these five aspiring musicians, recruited via TikTok, as they collaborate with The Veronicas and renowned music producer, James Angus, to produce their own original single and accompanying music video. The four-week vertical video series will be broadcast exclusively on the @UNDSCVRD_artist TikTok channel with the first episode going live in October.
The five finalists include:
- Taigh Wade, Mosman Park, WA, Singer/Songwriter (20) – originally from South Africa, Taigh had aspirations of becoming a professional rugby player, but an accident left him injured and unable to continue playing. During his recovery, Taigh picked up the guitar and taught himself how to play while recovering from his injury. With music as a new passion, Taigh began at the prestigious WAAPA, but soon realised he wanted to forge his path and style. Taigh has recently taught himself how to play the piano via YouTube tutorials and while he can’t technically read sheet music, the melody is certainly in his DNA as his dad is a singer in a band.
- Jade Stegbauer, Sutherland Shire, Sydney, NSW, Indie singer/Songwriter (18) – Discovering her love for music when living in the country, Jade is no newcomer to musical finesse. Jade is a multi-instrumentalist, expressing her music through guitar, keys, electric guitar, and saxophone.
- Jordyn Richards, Ryde, Sydney, NSW, Indie-pop singer/Songwriter (18) – With a strong passion for music throughout her entire life, from growing up and learning to play music, having MTV always on in the home, and playing gigs at local pubs from 11 years old, Jordyn has made music her element. Following high school, Jordyn committed to her passion and threw herself in the deep end by pursuing music full time.
- Felix ‘Checko’ Pacheco, Point Cook, Melbourne, VIC, Singer/Songwriter (17) – Relatively new to the music, practising the art over the past 2 years, Checko’s undeniable talent has helped him to become a notable up and coming rapper who writes and produces all of his original music. He is self-taught in audio engineering, helping close friends with their music production and creates music in the Melodic Rap genre.
- Rhian Aoun, Patterson Lakes, Victoria Pop singer/Songwriter (17) – Passionate about music her entire life, singing throughout school and performing in all of her school productions, Rhian captures the essence of a Soprano with her incredible vocal range. Rhian says her biggest influences come from global superstars Billie Eilish and Ariana Grande, inspired by their ability to blend electronic production elements with memorable vocals.
Following the announcement of the UNDSCVRD competition earlier this year in July, the five finalists will now be moving into the next phase of the competition. Over the next four weeks, the contestants will work directly with industry professionals and be mentored by The Veronicas to produce their single and accompanying music video.
Each contestant’s journey will be documented and presented on TikTok with the winner of UNDSCVRD selected by The Veronicas along with input from industry colleagues’ and consideration given to fan engagement on TikTok. Unique to UNDSCVRD, the five finalists will maintain complete ownership of their music masters and associated content and will be able to release their music as part of the UNDSCVRD series.
My Muscle Chef (MYMC) has announced the appointment of Liam Loan-Lack (main photo) to head of marketing based in Sydney. The company has further appointed two additional senior marketing leaders as part of its growth strategy. Loan-Lack has spent the last decade working in agencies in both Australia and the UK partnering with some of […]
Leading strategic insights consultancy Nature today announced the recruitment of Arletta Turnbull as director in Melbourne, plus a series of new hires in its Melbourne office. Turnbull joins after five years at The Evolved Group, where she was head of insights and consulting, leading a team to deliver strategic research through technology programs. At Nature, […]
PodSpot Studios, the first network of purpose-built studios founded by content creator and former breakfast radio host Dave Matthews, has launched in two new locations as it gears up for further national expansion amid Australia’s podcasting boom. PodSpot Studios is a collaboration between Matthews’ podcast production company PodSpot and the ASX-listed WOTSO Property, which owns and […]
As Cricket fans everywhere will tell you, we’re only weeks away from the start of the 2021/22 Men’s and Women’s Ashes series. To mark the occasion and promote the sport’s greatest rivalry, Cricket Australia has launched their largest fully integrated campaign of the season, via creative and media agency Apparent. The work, under the campaign line […]
The benefits and transformative powers of feeling have long been the subject of research reports and medical studies. The experience of travel is not only beneficial to our wellbeing, but even the act of travel planning makes us happier. These truths are at the heart of the new tourism campaign launched today by the NSW […]
Branding design agency Principals has appointed Rachel Terkelsen to head up creative for its Melbourne office. Terkelsen joins Principals after spending nine years at PUSH Collective. She has been with PUSH since its inception following lengthy stints at both FutureBrand and Interbrand as well as five years running her own practice, Terkelsen Design. An award-winning […]
Over the years, VEGEMITE has been largely misunderstood across the globe, with Aussies often having to defend the spread and detail exactly “how to” best enjoy the stuff. But as it turns out, Australians have been getting it wrong this whole time! VEGEMITE and Thinkerbell ventured to food mecca New York to recruit Brooklyn Master […]
Subway has this week, officially launched its digital game Sink A Sub, with the first $10,000 prize already being awarded to a lucky recipient in Queensland. Subway’s Sink A Sub game is a user-friendly experience based on the infamous naval war board game Battleship. It was successfully launched for the first time in 2020 as […]
National Indigenous Television (NITV) has announced the appointment of Peter Noble as general manager, to support the continued growth and evolution of the channel dedicated to First Nations voices and perspectives. Noble (pictured) a proud Girramay and Bandjin man, joins NITV with more than 20 years’ experience in the media industry, working across content disciplines […]
Reality TV star, influencer and unabashed over-sharer Abbie Chatfield has signed with SCA to bring her hugely popular and fiercely candid podcast, It’s A Lot to Australia’s biggest audio content creator – LiSTNR. Chatfield’s never been afraid to call out bad behaviour or tell it like it is. And that’s just what people love about […]
CM Group, a portfolio of martech companies focused on multichannel digital marketing, today announced its merger with Cheetah Digital under the CM Group name. The merger expands and enhances both CM Group’s and Cheetah Digital’s ability to deliver innovative email, omnichannel, personalization, and loyalty solutions. The combined company will own a broad array of technologies […]
Independent ad tech platform Smart has announced a new partnership with connected TV (CTV) ad platform Publica to accelerate its growth ambitions. The integration is a major step in Smart’s commitment to building a scaled, vertically-integrated TV advertising platform for media buyers and sellers following its recent acquisition of global premium CTV demand-side platform (DSP) […]
Independent creative agency Edge has launched Nevro’s first local campaign, “I am not my pain”. Nevro is a medical technology company offering innovative solutions to chronic pain. Their HFX therapy has been available in Australia since 2011 and is a form of spinal cord stimulation (SCS), where an electrical device is implanted surgically near the […]