Ex-Seven presenter Simon Reeve is reportedly suing the network for between $500,000 to $1M in damages, claiming the broadcaster breached the Fair Work Act.
As reported on the SMH, Reeve is accusing Seven of failing to pay him out his annual leave or redundancy pay.
The presenter, who appeared on Seven’s Olympics coverage, news and game shows, says he was made redundant by Sunrise EP Michael Pell via a phone call on June 25.
Court documents also show Reeve said he had been told three months earlier in a phone call with a Weekend Sunrise producer to “cease performing services”.
Reeve is claiming being made redundant was a breach of his contract, which “did not permit Seven to unilaterally cease making the payment of salary” to him or his company.
He is also claiming Seven failed to provide reasonable notice of termination, which he believes to be 12 months based on his service and seniority.
Reeve is accusing the network of breaching the Fair Work Act by suggesting his employment was on an independent contract basis, and not an employee.
His claim shows he was first employed by Seven in April 2002 as a development producer, before signing contracts with the networks that would see him host game shows, present news and comment on the Athens Olympics.
From November 2017 to June 2020 Reeve operated under a contract, which said his company, Simon Reeve Productions, would provide services to Seven.
Court files show he is seeking damages to the tune of around half a million to a million dollars.
Justice Geoffrey Flick said Reeve and Seven would most likely need to attend mediation, with the matter returning to court on 11 November.
Seven is yet to file any documents, and B&T reached out for further comment.