Tuesday’s Melbourne Cup also divides Australians along gender, employment and state lines, according to a survey by TEG Insights.
The October Omnibus surveyed 1,000 people and found some interesting trends about attitudes and habits ahead of Melbourne Cup:
- Australians will spend an average of $179 on Melbourne Cup day.
- Some $88 of it will be on betting.
- A further $91 on entertainment, fashion and dining.
- Over 10 per cent of Australians will spend more than $300.
- Males on average will have a total spend of $70 more than women at the races.
- Males average spend of $132.82 compares to $62.82 by women.
- Some 41 per cent of those surveyed only place bets on the Melbourne Cup.
- Females (61 per cent) were the most likely to only place bets on the Melbourne Cup.
- The top three bet types for the Melbourne Cup are each way (21 per cent), place (20 per cent) and win (19 per cent)
Melbourne Cup activities
- Based on the findings, 60 per cent of Australians plan to participate in Melbourne Cup activities next Tuesday.
- Females are more likely to celebrate by wearing fancy dress and attending group social events.
- Males are more likely to celebrate by watching and betting on the race from a pub, hotel or betting venue.
How the states compare
- NSW (26 per cent) and Queensland (15 per cent) residents are more likely to watch the race from a local hotel or pub.
- Victorian residents (30 per cent) are more likely to attend a lunch function with friends and family.
- The Northern Territory and Western Australia residents are mostly involved through office functions and sweepstakes.
Melbourne Cup in the workplace
- Some 40 per cent of white collar workers would take an extended lunch break or half-day from work.
- 30 per cent of white collar workers plan to participate in office sweepstakes.
- 23 per cent of Australians in blue collar jobs said their workplace did not recognise the celebrations.
- While Melbourne Cup is a public holiday for 94 per cent of white and blue collar workers in Victoria, just over half (51 per cent) of Australians surveyed across all other states were only allowed to take a standard lunch break.
The campaigns keep rolling in from Apple. Hot on the heels of its Christmas work that just dropped (get teary again watching it HERE) came another directed by none other than Taika Waititi. Now everyone’s favourite tech firm is back spruiking the merits of the new iPhone 15’s camera with its Portrait Mode and how […]
Aussie music icon Shannon Noll has teamed up with Jetstar to launch a new campaign from Jetstar. The campaign, which features a pub-rock twist on the classic 12 Days Of Christmas carol, teases $100,000 worth of free flights to Jetstar’s favourite destinations. The cover of the Christmas classic will be unveiled in 12 parts starting from […]
Rolling Stone AU/NZ publisher The Brag Media has revealed its next annual collector’s edition, celebrating 50 of the most Iconic stars from Australia and Aotearoa, for the magazine’s December-February ‘Icons Issue’ which arrives on newsstands and at Coles from Monday 4, December. What makes a celebrity an Icon? It’s not just talent; it’s a magnetic […]
It’s the final stretch! After hundreds of votes, an appearance on Channel 7 and the help of Jonathon Moran, entertainment editor and columnist at The Daily Telegraph, we’ve narrowed 100 ads down to 10. Here are the views and opinions of Moran, plus links to all the vids. You’ll be able to vote at the […]
Queensland Health and CHEP Network Brisbane have today launched a new sun safety campaign in a bid to reduce the risk of skin cancer across the state. The campaign has been crafted to resemble a horror film starring Queensland’s sneakiest killer – the sun. A series of trailers and promotional posters tell the story of […]
Australian tech consultancy Engaging.io has scored a major business win with the appointment by a leading Texas-based US National Basketball Association (NBA) team to revolutionise its marketing and communication strategies. The powerhouse NBA franchise turned to Sydney-headquartered Engaging to spearhead a major HubSpot implementation, driving greater efficiencies, personalisation and a more seamless experience for fans. […]
Tara Ford has taken on the role of chief creative officer of Accenture Song for Growth Markets, effective immediately. Retaining her position as chief creative officer of The Monkeys Sydney, Ford is now also responsible for overseeing all creative output from the Asia Pacific and Latin America regions (the ‘Growth Markets’). The regional role will […]
Australia’s outdoor media has finally moved on from the disastrous COVID era with its October total at a record level – well beyond its pre-COVID total – with October bookings up 19.3 per cnet year-on- year in a market back 3.2 per cent. However, the lower total market ad spend compares to a record October […]
Dentsu Queensland has formed a strategic partnership with DeadlyScience, an organisation that provides science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) resources to Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander students across Australia. The partnership is in collaboration with UnLtd, which helps connect the media and marketing industries with charities helping children and young people at risk. This is […]
Gen Z has helped drive cross-platform audience growth of 30.2 per cent year-on-year at Vogue Australia, Australia’s leading fashion media brand, according to the latest Roy Morgan readership numbers. Vogue Australia is the number one fashion media brand in the country with a cross-platform audience of 878,000, more than three times the audience of Harper’s […]
Victoria-based Venetian Media Group (VMG) has acquired web and digital strategy shop Digital Native. Lead image L-R: VMG CEO, Michael Fishwick; Digital Native big chief, Matt Gardan. Digital Native specialises in digital strategy, branding, UX and web design it has deep experience in renewables, emerging technology and not-for-profit. Its web design process and collaborative approach […]
One of Australia’s biggest off-street car and motorbike festivals, Rare Spares Rockynats, is returning to Rockhampton for Easter 2024 and has kicked off its promotional calendar with a high-octane media campaign. The two-phase campaign, via award-winning marketing agency Murmur-Group, will launch across large format out-of-home and retail placements and will be supported by local radio, […]
Working with multicultural community groups in Victoria, Think HQ has created a campaign for bowel screening for Cancer Council Victoria. The campaign specifically targets Victorian Punjabi, Hindi, and Vietnamese-speaking groups to encourage the use of bowel screening tests. Australians aged 50-74 receive a free home bowel screening test kit in the mail every two years […]
Forget the tricks you think will help you stay under the 0.05 Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) limit or suffer the consequences. This is the message in a myth-busting campaign via Clemenger BBDO for Victoria’s Transport Accident Commission (TAC). TAC’s new “Drink Driving: Stop Kidding Yourself” campaign challenges drivers’ belief in myths associated with drink driving, […]
The Avid Collective MD reveals his life pre-adland. As exciting as it is, it's not international playboy spy & Lothario.
SenateSHJ has launched a new digital, data and insights capability designed to help clients tackle the growing complexity of communication challenges. SenateSHJ Digital, Data and Insights (DDI) will combine the firm’s existing Digital and Insights functions to create a Trans-Tasman capability focused on digital communication, and the generation and use of data to improve communication. […]
Creative technology platform Bonzai has announced the launch of BrandStory – a new premium mobile ad format. BrandStory offers triple the ad space and 2.8 times greater time in view than single scroll ad formats, addressing the surging demand from brands worldwide for more real estate to drive real results by seamlessly intertwining awareness, exploration […]
B&T went through the looking glass this morning, with editor-in-chief David Hovenden (above) appearing on Channel 7’s The Morning Show to get the general public involved in our search for Australia’s Greatest Ad. Hovenden chatted with Kylie Gillies and stand-in host Matt Doran about what makes a great ad and showcasing some of our favourites […]