Facebook Australia today announced partnerships with seven Australian news publishers to experiment with video, trial new formats and build sustainable video businesses on Facebook.
The partnerships include funding to support the creation of exclusive news content for Facebook from a variety of Australian publishers including traditional news broadcasters and digital-first publishers. The goal is to bring relevant and timely news video to Facebook.
Premium news content from Australia’s leading broadcasters including Nine, Seven, SBS, Sky News and 10 will be available on Facebook from today.
Publisher partners will have full editorial control and will collaborate with Facebook to understand which stories, topics and formats are resonating with audiences.
Campbell Brown, Vice President Global News Partnerships at Facebook said, “This is exactly the kind of partnership we want to have with the news industry. Australia’s newsrooms are doing innovative, high quality work with video. Facebook is proud to support their great journalism and excited to bring this work to Watch.”
The upcoming original news shows coming to Facebook Watch:
- 7NEWS: As part of the partnership, 7NEWS has created ‘The Latest on Facebook Watch’ – a fast-paced daily news show hosted by 7NEWS anchor Michael Usher. With connection and conversation the focus, Michael will be your guide to the day – breaking down the news, unpacking trending videos and interviewing news makers.
- Nine News: 9NewsWatch with Sylvia Jeffreys will utilise cutting edge technology and the Facebook platform to transform the way news is gathered, broadcast and viewed. Premiering at 8pm weeknights 9NewsWatch will place the viewer at the heart of the program. The content will be innovative, in-depth and unlike any other news offering in Australia.
- Sky News: ‘Unpacked’ is a daily news show taking a deep-dive into a major news story each day, speaking with expert guests as well as reporting from the field to provide a unique point of view from everyday Australians.
- Junkee Media: The Takeaway is a nightly news show that delves deep into the trending topic of the day and dissects it from every angle.
- PEDESTRIAN.TV: In a weekly interview series over three months, PEDESTRIAN.TV’s ’15 Minutes’ will go behind some of the most memorable headlines in Aussie news history to understand the highs of virality – the fame, the fortune, the opened doors – and the lows, when the attention inevitably dries up and you’re left to deal with the aftermath of becoming a meme. All from those who’ve been there.
- Network 10: 10’s partnership will extend 10 News First’s national and state-based news bulletins onto Facebook Watch. ’10 News First on Facebook Watch’ will deliver national and local news bulletins every day, hosted by 10’s talented team of news journalists. With a highly engaged Facebook audience of close to a million followers and a weekly reach of two million, Network 10’s The Project will also optimise its agenda-setting news and entertainment content to reach social audiences.
Facebook Australia MD Will Easton said: “16 million Australians come to Facebook to share what they love, and discuss topics that are important to them. By partnering with Australia’s leading news and current affairs organisations we believe more Australians will be able to connect to and share timely, relevant and quality news video. We are working with Australian news publishers to offer mobile-first content and support them build sustainable video businesses.”
The partnerships follow the commitment made by Facebook Australia to news publishers in February this year to support programs and offerings that will ensure news publishers can continue their important work in our society.
COVID-19 has hit Seven West Media harder than most, forcing widespread cost-cutting across the business that have seen shows and staff – both on-air talent and behind the scenes – to be made redundant. The late-starting AFL has played heavily on the network’s bottom line, with a number of ad sales people forced out the […]
Ultra Tune has again topped the list as Australia’s most complained about advertiser for the first half of 2020. With a total of 1,747 complaints lodged with Ad Standards as of June 30 2020, an Ultra Tune ad featuring Pamela Anderson and Warwick Capper received the most with 309. Also in the top 10 most […]
A Brazilian TV reporter has endured a terrifying on-air moment after she was mugged at knifepoint during a live cross. CNN reporter Bruna Macedo was reporting on rising flood levels in Brazil’s capital São Paulo when a homeless man can be seen in the backgound stalking her. Macedo was chatting with studio anchor Rafael Colombo when the […]
BINGE, Australia’s newest entertainment streaming service, has partnered with THE ICONIC to create ‘INACTIVEWEAR’ – an exclusive line of unisex luxe-loungewear, launching on Tuesday, 7 July 2020. With over half of Australians (57 per cent) stating they’ve streamed at least 20 per cent more content during COVID-19, INACTIVEWEAR has been designed to provide Bingers with […]
Talent platform, Puffling, has launched a new employer brand showcase, vetting organisations before applying based on the three key future of work pillars: Diversity, Flex and Culture. Whilst unemployment numbers continue to rise and many organisations gear up for restructures and further staff cuts, top performers are becoming harder to attract given market instability. Puffling […]
Isentia has today announced its Culturally And Linguistically Diverse (CALD) media monitoring service, to expand coverage to non-English publications across the country. The new service monitors foreign language publications across Australia and provides editorially curated article summaries in English, together with links to the pdf of the original article. The new service covers eight languages; […]
In the beginning of 2020, all sorts of ‘predictions’ around consumer confidence and ecommerce were made – predictions which are now utterly irrelevant. In the space of a few months, life irrevocably changed and predictable consumer behaviour was thrown out the window, along with a lot of ‘normality.’ So where will the consumer be left […]
The COVID-19 crisis and the associated forced isolation and restricted movement, has led to an increase in reports of domestic and family violence. Women who are experiencing or are at risk of experiencing intimate-partner violence have become more vulnerable as they are forced to stay at home with their abusive partners.
Free TV Australia today called on the government to urgently reform the Australian content regulatory framework to provide commercial television broadcasters with flexibility to deliver the Australian content that audiences are demanding. Commenting on Free TV’s submission to the government’s options paper, ‘Supporting Australian stories on our screens‘, Free TV CEO, Bridget Fair said: “The […]
MyState Bank has showcased new banking technology with a brand campaign created at the height of the Covid-19 lockdown. Virtual casting sessions, talent from the same family and a strict enforcement of a two-metre distancing rule on set: a brand campaign for MyState Bank by The Royals tackled Covid-19 restrictions to film a series of […]
Upset Hindus have urged Belgium-based brewer Anheuser-Busch InBev to change the name of its popular ‘Brahma’ beer brewed in Brazil, calling it highly inappropriate to their religion. Rajan Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, pointed out that in Hinduism; Lord Brahma, along with Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva; formed the great triad […]
After years in hibernation, the iconic and nostalgic ‘D-D-Demazin’ mnemonic from the 80s and 90s is back. The new ad, developed by Clemenger BBDO Sydney, will evoke fond childhood memories of Demazin, a well-known brand that has been treating Australian families for more than fifty years. While the new spot, directed by Airbag’s Chris Hill, […]
In this guest post, founders of The Daily Aus Sam Koslowski and Zara Seidler discuss why in order to stay in the game and keep its user, social media giant Facebook needs to do more to combat hate speech… For young Australians, Facebook is on the decline. Unless the platform better responds to its user’s […]
A brave move has paid dividends for Baskin-Robbins Australia who recently announced they won the award for Best Digital Initiative at last week’s QSR Media Awards. Baskin-Robbins Australia’s Master Licensee, Palm Oasis Ventures took a risk in launching a digital winter campaign targeting a new millennial and Gen Z demographic when it partnered with Netflix to launch season 3 of the streaming giant’s most popular show, the sci-fi horror series, Stranger Things.
Leading eCommerce website development agency, Convert Digital, has achieved the coveted Magento Gold Status from Adobe. This accomplishment has been reached following the agency’s continuing work with the Magento 2 platform - platform that is incredibly robust and offers unrivalled flexibility and scalability.
Influencer marketing agency Born Bred Talent has partnered with the Starlight Children’s Foundation to mobilise their talent roster and support the Stream Raiser campaign, contributing over $95k in donations thanks to virtual fundraising efforts. With a combined reach of 6.2 million across Instagram, TikTok and Twitch, 9 Australian influencers contributed 76% of the $124k raised […]