The European Union has announced tough new data protection laws designed to protect internet users and punish unscrupulous marketers who misuse them.
The new laws are designed to give the power back to the user and gives regulators the powers to fine businesses and companies who do the wrong thing. They will come into power across all EU countries by the start of 2018.
Key details to the reforms include:
- It will unify the laws across the EU and mean companies will be beholden to one law across all participating nations. This will amount to €2.3 billion a year in savings.
- The new laws will have to be adhered to by any company wanting to do business in the EU, not just ones that are headquartered in Europe.
- Companies will have to declare in serious data breaches.
- All users will be privy to the “right to be forgotten” law which means that companies must delete any data they hold on customers if and when asked. Marketers will also not be able to hold and use data without the user’s consent.
- Companies can be fined as much as four per cent of annual turnover for not complying to the new laws.
- The digital “age of consent” has been raised to 16. This means that any user 15 or under needs to gain the consent of their parent or guardian to sign up for apps and websites.
- The big players will now need to employ a data protection officer or any company that specialises in data collection. Smaller and medium enterprises will be exempt.
Over the years, VEGEMITE has been largely misunderstood across the globe, with Aussies often having to defend the spread and detail exactly “how to” best enjoy the stuff. But as it turns out, Australians have been getting it wrong this whole time! VEGEMITE and Thinkerbell ventured to food mecca New York to recruit Brooklyn Master […]
Subway has this week, officially launched its digital game Sink A Sub, with the first $10,000 prize already being awarded to a lucky recipient in Queensland. Subway’s Sink A Sub game is a user-friendly experience based on the infamous naval war board game Battleship. It was successfully launched for the first time in 2020 as […]
National Indigenous Television (NITV) has announced the appointment of Peter Noble as general manager, to support the continued growth and evolution of the channel dedicated to First Nations voices and perspectives. Noble (pictured) a proud Girramay and Bandjin man, joins NITV with more than 20 years’ experience in the media industry, working across content disciplines […]
Reality TV star, influencer and unabashed over-sharer Abbie Chatfield has signed with SCA to bring her hugely popular and fiercely candid podcast, It’s A Lot to Australia’s biggest audio content creator – LiSTNR. Chatfield’s never been afraid to call out bad behaviour or tell it like it is. And that’s just what people love about […]
CM Group, a portfolio of martech companies focused on multichannel digital marketing, today announced its merger with Cheetah Digital under the CM Group name. The merger expands and enhances both CM Group’s and Cheetah Digital’s ability to deliver innovative email, omnichannel, personalization, and loyalty solutions. The combined company will own a broad array of technologies […]
Independent ad tech platform Smart has announced a new partnership with connected TV (CTV) ad platform Publica to accelerate its growth ambitions. The integration is a major step in Smart’s commitment to building a scaled, vertically-integrated TV advertising platform for media buyers and sellers following its recent acquisition of global premium CTV demand-side platform (DSP) […]
Independent creative agency Edge has launched Nevro’s first local campaign, “I am not my pain”. Nevro is a medical technology company offering innovative solutions to chronic pain. Their HFX therapy has been available in Australia since 2011 and is a form of spinal cord stimulation (SCS), where an electrical device is implanted surgically near the […]
Pinterest has introduced a new suite of creator and Pinner products and experiences globally, as the platform continues to evolve to become home for the next generation of creators. At its second annual Pinterest Creators Festival, featuring Megan Thee Stallion and Storm Reid. Pinterest creators Kerin Rose Gold, Wendy’s World, Henri Purnell, Carolina Gelen and […]