Following the Australian launch of The Venture in September this year, Chivas Regal has announced the top five social enterprises that will now head to the Australian final event in the hope of becoming the inaugural Australian winner and claiming a share of the $1 million in funding on offer.
The Venture, a global initiative brought to Australia just this year by Chivas Regal, has inspired Australian social entrepreneurs across the country to put their best foot forward. With more than 50 entries submitted, and so many achievements to access, the judges have got a difficult task on their hands.
Hailing from across the country, the unique and diverse start-ups seek to achieve success whilst making a positive impact on the lives of others – a key driver of The Venture on a global scale.
The top five Australian finalists are:
- Websters Group (Queensland)
- Utilising his international experience in finance, infrastructure and sustainability, Ryan Dillon established Websters Group three years ago. The enterprise specialises in identifying, financing and project managing energy, water and resource efficiency opportunities within large industrial and commercial sites
- Clickability (Victoria)
- Business partners Aviva Beecher Kelk and Jenna Moffat’s strong background as carers, case managers and experience with the National Disability Insurance Scheme led them to founding Clickability two years ago. The Australian disability service directory features ratings and reviews from users, giving people with disabilities a voice
- OurSay (Victoria)
- The three founders Matthew Gordon, Eyal Halamish and Nic Frances list risk communications, stakeholder engagement for Fortune 500 companies, Victorian public servant and priest as some of their former roles on their way to forming OurSay in 2011. The communications and community engagement company enables government leaders to actively engage the public in the decision making process to inform and satisfy citizens.
- Pollinate Energy (New South Wales)
- With a team of six founders from varying backgrounds including energy economics, government, law, international development, engineering and construction, Pollinate Energy has been in operation for three years. The Australian and Indian based company is working to improve the lives of India’s urban poor by providing them access to sustainable and affordable products like solar lights through a network of local entrepreneurs.
- Substation33 (Queensland)
- Founded by former landscaper turned youth worker, Tony Sharp’s electronic waste recycling centre, provides a workplace where marginalised people can gain confidence and skills for the transition to sustainable employment whilst helping the environment
At the final event to be held at Sydney’s Ambush Gallery on the 8 December, the finalists will have the opportunity to pitch their social enterprise to a panel of judges including:
- Michael Klim – The Venture Ambassador and CEO & Co-Founder of Milk & Co
- Jean-Christophe Coutures, Chairman & CEO of Pernod Ricard Winemakers
- Michelle Goldman, CEO of School for Social Entrepreneurs
- Chris Janz, CEO of Huffington Post Australia
- Jarryd Burns, Co-Founder and Finance & Operations Director of Thankyou Group
On the line will be a place in the global top 20 and an invitation to a week-long, entrepreneur’s training-camp in Silicon Valley, California – home to some of the world’s leading start-ups. These finalists will also have the opportunity to meet business leaders of tech companies, be mentored by experts, and pitch for a portion of the $1 million in funding to take their business to the next level.
Chivas Regal Australia marketing director Anne Martin said, “To have such a strong and diverse collection of Australian social entrepreneurs enter The Venture in our first year is very exciting – I wish them the best of luck. Our aim with The Venture is to enable social entrepreneurs like our five finalists to realise their potential, gain exposure for their business and in turn, inspire others to join and support the movement.”
For more information about The Venture, visit www.TheVenture.com.
Ethical investment firm, Australian Ethical has launched an evocative new brand campaign via B Corp agency Paper Moose. The campaign showcases the positive influence that ethical investing can have on the health of people, planet and animals. The campaign will roll out over BVOD, OOH, digital and social. Brad Bennett, head of client success, Paper Moose: […]
According to a new study from CPR First Aid has revealed that Aussies’ most Googled personal goal in the summer is losing weight, new research has found. Their next most researched summer objective is healthy eating, followed by drinking more water. This time of the year, Aussies want to stop snoring and quit smoking more […]
AFL star Ben Cousins was confirmed as a contestant on Seven’s Dancing With The Stars earlier this month, but not everyone is happy about it. Once one of the AFL’s biggest stars, Cousin’s career famously spiraled out of control after he resigned from captain of the West Coast in 2006, following an RBT which led […]
The Australian Influencer Marketing Council (AiMCO) has today announced popular Australian content creators, Alright Hey and Starr McGowan, will host the 2023 AiMCO Awards, with platinum sponsor TikTok for Business. Lead image: Alright Hey & Starr McGowan The annual awards, which are set to be held at Sydney’s Doltone House on February 29, recognise the […]
Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci (pictured) has announced that he will be retiring from the company as the company is embroiled in a row over price-gouging and his very public spat with ABC Four Corners reporter Angus Grigg. Amidst the chaos, Woolworths announced group net profits for the first half of the 2024 financial year of $929 […]
A new campaign from Australia’s number one sports nutrition brand, Musashi, captures the emotion, intensity and self-reflection on GAME DAY, featuring some of the country’s most exciting, emerging sporting talent. Devised by leading independent agency JOY, the campaign creative is inspired by the power of the moment just before an athlete steps out onto the […]
Picture this. A freshly baked, deliciously gooey and irresistible 8-in-1 giant vanilla cookie, served warm. Now imagine a delectable drizzle of hazelnut spread, NUTELLA on top. No further imagination is needed as Pizza Hut has launched its brand-new Loaded Cookie with NUTELLA this Thursday, 22nd February, set to become an Aussie favourite in their 270 […]
Social Soup has announced the appointment of Jess Hope to the newly created role of head of growth and Innovation, effective immediately. Lead image: L-R – Sharyn Smith and Jess Hope With over 15 years of social, creative and content marketing experience, Jess has spent her career immersed in entertainment, music, publishing and advertising. Having […]
The Canberra Raiders just snuck into the top eight last year, appearing in the finals for the first time since 2014. But while the Raider’s relationship with finals footy is rocky at best, their sponsorship is anything but. Welcome back to B&T’s Spotlight on Sponsors series, where we unpack all the major sponsorship news from each NRL and AFL team in […]
Businesses are integrating customer data platforms with AI and analytics to personalise customer experiences and drive business success, according to a new report from Twilio Segment. Lead image: Kathryn Murphy, SVP of product and design, Twilio. The fifth annual Customer Data Platform Report, which reflects the findings of anonymised usage data from Twilio Segment’s more […]
The Western Bulldogs remained in contention to take the top prize right through the 2023 season despite inconsistent results but ultimately missed out on the finals series for the first time since 2018. Welcome back to B&T’s Spotlight on Sponsors series, where we unpack all the major sponsorship news from each NRL and AFL team in the lead-up to the […]
Guardian Australia has recruited a new partnerships manager, Charlotte Byrne, following a push for strategic content collaborations with major advertisers. Byrnes will join Guardian Australia as partnerships manager from Schwartz Media team, where she was previously responsible for leading and developing the sales team across direct, agency and media partnerships. Guardian Australia is a free […]
Word of Mouth Digital, a Sydney-based full-service digital marketing agency, has announced the addition of six diverse brands to its expanding client portfolio. Lead image: Alex and Tash Williams These new partnerships span various sectors, including pet care, cognitive health, home construction, wellness, and retail, showcasing the agency’s commitment to fostering growth through strategic collaboration […]
Carat Perth client partner Michelle Testa (pictured) has been named as the new chair of the Oasis Committee with a remit to deliver continued financial support to The Salvation Army on behalf of the WA Advertising and Communications industry. Testa, who takes on the chair has been a member of the Oasis Committee for several […]
In this guest post, Sarah Tilleke, Adobe ANZ Solutions Consultant (pictured below), says now’s a great time to take control of your marketing processes thanks to the rise of generative AI. Small business owners would agree that while a standout marketing campaign is essential if you want to grow your business, far too often the […]