Australians have a strong affinity to their local media according to research released by APN News & Media’s Australian Regional Media.
A study, which surveyed 4,000 locals and focused on attitudes toward local communities and the role local news media plays in the decision making process, found that:
- 89 per cent of regional residents are proud of the area they live in
- 78 per cent of respondents said they shop within 10kms of their home
- 91 per cent like companies who give back to their community
- Over three quarters of respondents believe that local newspapers are the most local media channel
- Almost 90 per cent said that local news media is the most trusted when it comes to advertising
- 72 per cent said that they feel more positive towards national brands in their local paper
- Over 60 per cent said that they have either visited a store or changed their store preference based on local news media advertisements
TrendWatching senior analyst Victoria Loomes said: “These findings echo what we’ve been seeing at TrendWatching, where we’ve been tracking the Local Love mega-trend over the past few years. The special connection that consumers feel to their locality – whether framed as their neighbourhood, city, country, or some other way – is an impulse as old as human nature. Hyper connectivity has seen people go back to their local community as people crave authenticity, convenience and a sense of belonging.
“Now, consumer’s expectations about how that connection is manifested and shared, and the role that brands should play, are evolving fast. Smart brands are standing out from the crowd by making deeper commitments and lasting, meaningful impact on a chosen locality,” she said.
Australia Regional Media’s chief executive, Neil Monaghan said, “We are definitely seeing this trend play out for our own brands. As we focus our efforts on connecting and enriching the communities we serve with our leading regional print and digital products, we now reach more people than at any time in our history.
“We give national advertisers local relevance, and we provide a trusted environment that reaches local audiences at scale,” he said.