It’s been a humdinger of a year for advertising. We’ve had some of the amazing Super Bowl spots to salivate over, balls telling us they have feelings too, and a heap of our weekly ad round-ups which feature the weird, wonderful and WTF.
Viral marketing and tech company Unruly has also swept the global ad market and come up with a list of the top 20 ads of the year, based on their sharability.
Unruly picked apart the ads which had the most number of shares – not views – on social media platforms, which in turn measures the chatter around the ad, calling it the virality of the clip.
Unruly’s Australia managing director Lance Traore said: “We’ve been collecting and analysing consumer data on video consumption and sharing patterns since 2006 and one of the key drivers to video shareability is emotional intensity – how an ad makes a person feel.
“From the joy you feel when your pup welcomes you home to nostalgic memories of your childhood pet, animals can tap into a wide range of emotions that have broad appeal. By placing the focus on friendship and shared experiences, advertisers in 2015 have successfully used dogs, cats and other furry friends to provoke strong feelings of warmth and well-being.”
Data was collected from 1 January 2015 to 16 November 2015. Below is the top 20.
1. Google Android – Friends Furever
Shared: The ad was shared 6,432,921 times across Facebook, Twitter and blogs since its February launch. It’s the most shared ad not only of this year, but ever, according to Unruly.
Agency: Droga5 New York
2. Disney – Disney Characters Surprise Shoppers
Agency: Grand Visual
3. Purina – This man found his soulmate in a puppy and it’s adorable
4. Roc by Ronaldo/Monster – Cristiano Ronaldo – People are going to think I’m crazy!
5. Budweiser – Super Bowl Commercial ‘Lost Dog’
6. Ad Council – Diversity and Inclusion, ‘Love has no labels’
7. Zorba – Maya
8. Fanpage.IT – Slap her: Children’s Reactions
9. Microsoft – Robert Downey Jr. delivers a real bionic arm
10. Kleenex – Unlikely Best Friends
Agency: VSA Partners
11. Metflife – My Dad’s story, dream for my child
Agency: BBDO Hong Kong
12. Pandora – The Unique Connection
13. DC Shoes – Robbie Maddison’s Pipe Dream
14. Supercell – Clash of Clans: Revenge
Agency: Barton F. Graf
15. Red Nose Day – Coldplay’s Game of Thrones Musical
16. adidas – create your own game
17. John Lewis – #ManontheMoon
Agency: Adam & Eve
18. adidas – Unfollow feat. Leo Messi
19. Sainsbury’s – Mog’s Christmas Calamity
Agency: AMV BBDO
20. adidas – yesterday is gone
Jacqueline Gonzales [featured image] is the Head of Global Marketing at Squarespace. In this piece, she shares her best pieces of advice for launching a campaign globally. It’s estimated that we see between 6,000 to 10,000 ads every single day. In today’s digital landscape we’re constantly bombarded by so many different brand messages from every […]
From the audio producer of The Teacher’s Pet comes The Elements, a new Acast Creator Network podcast hosted by Thredbo survivor Stuart Diver. The Elements is a podcast that journeys into the heart of surviving a natural disaster and will be hosted and distributed by the creator-first podcast company Acast as part of the Acast Creator […]