Netflix has revealed the shows and movies that best resonated with users in 2020.
With billions of people forced inside during global COVID-19 lockdowns, many turned to Netflix for a source of entertainment and a way to escape.
Globally, users spent twice as much time watching documentaries and reality TV this year than last year, with Tiger King and Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez the top documentaries.
DIY content also proved particularly popular in 2020, with searches for ‘home baking shows’ spiking 50 per cent in the month of March. Top shows here included Get Organized with The Home Edit, Nailed It!, Million Dollar Beach House, The American Barbecue Showdown and Crazy Delicious.
The Herald, has also revealed the content most popular in Australia on the streaming service.
Top TV shows on Netflix Australia in 2020
- Action: Cobra Kai
- Comedy: Emily in Paris
- Documentaries: Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness
- Drama: The Queen’s Gambit
- Horror: The Haunting of Bly Manor
- Kids: Jurassic World Camp Cretaceous S1
- Reality: Too Hot to Handle
- Romance: Dash & Lily
- Thrillers: The Sinner: Jamie
Top films in Australia
- Action: Extraction
- Comedy: Holidate
- Documentaries: American Murder: The Family Next Door
- Drama: Enola Holmes
- Horror: It Chapter Two
- Kids: Pokemon Detective Pikachu
- Romance: The Kissing Booth 2
- Thrillers: Spenser Confidential