The ABC’s Digital Network division today made public its research and development (R+D) site to share its work into what media experiences could look and feel like in the future.
Since launching earlier this year the R+D team has investigated areas including virtual and augmented reality, intelligent computing, interfaces that transcend screens, open platform personalised news services, and contexts such as commuting. The R+D site and its reports were previously only available to ABC staff.
ABC digital network director Angela Clark said the ABC’s investigations were being shared to support further discussion around the future of media experiences in Australia.
“The challenges and opportunities presented by digital disruption extend across many sectors so it may be that something from our own experience will benefit others. By sharing our work we hope to stimulate more conversations and support an environment of open collaboration in both the opportunities and challenges that rapid change brings,” Clark said.
The digital network’s head of R+D Alvaro Marquez said the work of R+D was focused on informing, educating and entertaining Australian audiences in future settings.
“Our role is to explore what future experiences might mean for the ABC and to envision new ways to read, watch and listen to content. The materials released today cover a wide range of topics from the rise of natural interfaces, the impact of big data and ubiquitous computing, and Natural Language Processing,” Alvaro Marquez said.
Materials available for download at rd.abc.net.au include:
- Megatrends: Introduces five key trends and shifts in emergent and growing technologies that may affect the medium-term future and have an impact on media experiences.
- Beyond the Screen: Imagines beyond the “click” and “touch” of our current multi-screen world to the next generation of digital experiences, where our interactions will be with the world around us.
- The Commute: Explores the Australian commuting experience of 2020, and how media may be consumed in that context.
- ACE (Automated Content Enhancement): A technical prototype that explores Natural Language Processing as a solution for generating meaningful metadata so content can be used by contextually aware systems in future media experiences.
- News, Place & Relevance: A research study based on personalised mobile pilots across regional Australia that examines the more immediate opportunities relating to how location impacts relevance when it comes to news and information services.
Freedom Foods and 72andSunny Sydney have launched the first advertising campaign for Australia’s Own range of plant-based beverages. The campaign introduces a new visual world and identity for the brand and captures the healthy, positive feeling you get when spending time in nature and when consuming Australia’s Own certified-organic, plant-based beverages. As well as featuring […]
Nine creatives from APAC are among the 94 finalists from 27 countries in The One Club for Creativity’s prestigious Young Guns 19 competition, celebrating international creative professionals age 30 or younger. The finalists from APAC are: Hiu Ching Kung, graphic designer, Hong Kong Lam Ieong Kun, graphic designer, illustrator, indego design, Macau Raxenne Maniquiz, graphic designer, illustrator, Santa Maria (Philippines) Kiyotaka […]
OOH transit company Adflow has announced the success of the first phase of its regional expansion program. Adflow’s regional footprint has increased by 60 per cent to now include 65 regional locations. With 9.1 million people living regionally in Australia (growth of 1.1 per cent experienced in the 19/20 Financial year) and most regional centres […]
Freshworks, a leading software company, has started trading on the Nasdaq Global Select Market, marking an important milestone for the company. The company priced its IPO at US$36 per share (AU$49.76), raising about US$1 billion (AU$1.4B), resulting in a total market capitalisation of AU$13.7 billion (US$10B). Freshworks, which was founded in India, has strong roots […]
Black Friday Cyber Monday (BFCM) is the biggest player in the holiday shopping game and Google’s most recent research suggests consumer interest for the peak sales season starts much earlier than retailers may realise. The pandemic has fundamentally changed buyer behaviour over peak sales season, with Google suggesting that global consumer interest in Black Friday […]