The ABC’s Digital Network division today made public its research and development (R+D) site to share its work into what media experiences could look and feel like in the future.
Since launching earlier this year the R+D team has investigated areas including virtual and augmented reality, intelligent computing, interfaces that transcend screens, open platform personalised news services, and contexts such as commuting. The R+D site and its reports were previously only available to ABC staff.
ABC digital network director Angela Clark said the ABC’s investigations were being shared to support further discussion around the future of media experiences in Australia.
“The challenges and opportunities presented by digital disruption extend across many sectors so it may be that something from our own experience will benefit others. By sharing our work we hope to stimulate more conversations and support an environment of open collaboration in both the opportunities and challenges that rapid change brings,” Clark said.
The digital network’s head of R+D Alvaro Marquez said the work of R+D was focused on informing, educating and entertaining Australian audiences in future settings.
“Our role is to explore what future experiences might mean for the ABC and to envision new ways to read, watch and listen to content. The materials released today cover a wide range of topics from the rise of natural interfaces, the impact of big data and ubiquitous computing, and Natural Language Processing,” Alvaro Marquez said.
Materials available for download at rd.abc.net.au include:
- Megatrends: Introduces five key trends and shifts in emergent and growing technologies that may affect the medium-term future and have an impact on media experiences.
- Beyond the Screen: Imagines beyond the “click” and “touch” of our current multi-screen world to the next generation of digital experiences, where our interactions will be with the world around us.
- The Commute: Explores the Australian commuting experience of 2020, and how media may be consumed in that context.
- ACE (Automated Content Enhancement): A technical prototype that explores Natural Language Processing as a solution for generating meaningful metadata so content can be used by contextually aware systems in future media experiences.
- News, Place & Relevance: A research study based on personalised mobile pilots across regional Australia that examines the more immediate opportunities relating to how location impacts relevance when it comes to news and information services.
The Real Media Collective (TRMC), the Australian industry association representing the interests of companies in the paper, print, publishing/media and related distribution sectors across Australia, has challenged Coles Supermarkets for using the environment as a reason in its announcement today outlining its plans to cease sending catalogues to Australian homes from September. In the announcement, […]
Network 10 is set to undergo a massive restructure, leaving a number of high-profile journalists out of a job, including Kerri-Anne Kennerley, Natarsha Belling and Tim Bailey, B&T understands. As first reported on The Sydney Morning Herald, the restructure was announced to staff on Tuesday. As part of the restructuring, the presentation of the weekday […]
Alcohol & Drug Foundation (ADF) has launched a new national health campaign with Campaign Edge aiming to tackle COVID-19 drinking. Funded by the Australian Government, Break the Habit reveals that it takes only around 66 days to form a habit – roughly the same amount of time many Australians spent in lockdown. It’s a fact most Aussies are […]
Paul Roach (pictured below) is a business strategist and coach who has worked with hundreds of SMEs across many industries to supercharge their cashflow. Roach is also author of the book Smarter Business Stronger Cashflow. In this guest post, Roach gives his top tips when the cash taps start to be turned off… Cashflow is like […]
Sydney and Melbourne based PR, Talent & Digital agency One Daydream has extended its client portfolio to include alcohol. The category expansion comes as One Daydream joins the agency roster of Pernod Ricard, working on a project basis to manage strategic PR and digital campaigns. The global drinks group boasts one of the most comprehensive and prestigious […]
Commtract today expanded its marketing, advertising and digital offering in response to a growing number of CEOs outsourcing to ‘gig-workers’ amid COVID-19. According to new research, 40 per cent of Australian CEOs are planning on outsourcing to freelancers in the contingent workforce. Commtract, which launched in 2016, has more than 4,000 communications experts on its platform, and has already placed over 800 roles. […]