The convergence of real-time bidding and public relations is inevitable according to the founder of PR online marketing agency aimClear, Marty Weintraub.
Weintraub said traditionally branding and PR have been less focused at scale than direct response sales online.
“That’s because, as a rule in previous generations of marketing, distribution to the masses was limited in focus by lack of targeting technologies,” Weintraub said.
“Today, however, we can target content promotion widely by highly focused demographic and psychographics segments.
“Therefore smart PR folks understand that, from journalists to customer segments, we can use data via DSPs or exchanges to brand at scale with much greater granularity.”
Weintraub believes the biggest challenge facing marketers today is how to stay relevant amid the “tectonic marketing technology shifts”.
The checklist of skills that online marketers need to be able tick off today is long, diverse and complicated according to Weintraub (see below).
- Do I market to psychographics and segment personas properly?
- Do I understand at least 10 archetypal site retargeting methodologies?
- What systems can I apply to vet the avalanche of would be vendors? How might vendors’ wares apply to my marketing mix? Are the data points I use to decide what tactics to test first informed, reasonable, and fully defensible?
- Am I taking inventory of every type of online marketing that converts currently, and following non-converted traffic for greater scale conversion?
- Am I fluent in both organic and paid online video marketing in the new age.
- Do I really comprehend the variables in mapping search to display?
- How do emergent third party data interrelationships fit? Where does retargeting become straight up intent targeting? Do I really understand what’s happening here?
- Do I understand content, amplification, and how social distribution feeds the system?
- Do I create first and third-party systems that draw qualified customers into the attribution funnel and lead to conversion?
- Do I use social data to advise keyword research and vice versa? How clever can I be on the mashup tip?
- What is my philosophy of conversion? How do I handle the attribution mind f*ck?
- Do I really understand the TAO of top-of funnel/bottom-of-funnel systems
- Do I embrace the everlasting importance of segmented creative, designed for each unique touch a user encounters?
- Am I aware of the inevitable confluence of RTB and public relations?
Do you agree with this list? Is there something missing from it? Let us know your thoughts by leaving a comment in the form below
Weintraub is in Australia to present at this week’s Online Retailer Conference and Ecommerce Expo in Sydney.
Please login with linkedin to comment
Sustainable soap brand Single Use Ain’t Sexy has been greeted with a huge influx of support after raising over half a million dollars in funding via a crowdfunding campaign. The brand has launched itself into the ‘green economy’ by calling on the Australian public to financially back them and their mission to get Aussies to […]
Queer Artist Ryan James Caruthers has publically slammed software company Unfold after it asked to use the artist’s work for free as part of its Pride Month social media campaign. Caruthers took to Instagram to show screenshots of the conversation he had with Unfold after it asked the artist to share 12 of his images […]
After relaunching in September last year, TWOOBS has become a ‘kinda’ shoe brand by also focusing on making the world a ‘kinder’ place and creating more consumer-conscious shopping. The vegan shoe brand founded by sisters Jess and Stef Dadon changed its marketing approach last year and stopped using social media to push sales the old-fashioned […]
Highly experienced tourism marketer Kelly Ryan has been appointed to lead the marketing efforts at Visit Sunshine Coast (VSC). During the past 12 years, Ryan has supported Canberra’s tourism industry in senior marketing roles, including as director of strategy and insights as well as director of marketing at VisitCanberra. Most recently, Ryan has been working […]
GHO Sydney has developed a new educational platform for Family Planning NSW to help parents and carers of children with disabilities navigate the changes to their bodies, emotions and social interactions. The project, ‘Planet Puberty’, was made possible through funding from the federal government’s Department of Social Services, and was co-designed with people with disability […]
JCDecaux today announced conservation organisation, Bush Heritage Australia, as its major charity partner for 2021. The partnership is part of a series of ‘social impact’ initiatives the business is launching this year, under the banner of JCDecauxHEART. JCDecauxHEART focuses on three areas of social impact: health and mental health, environmental sustainability, and enriching urban communities. […]
Shameless Media’s Michelle Andrews and Zara McDonald’s latest podcast, The Books That Changed My Life, will launch exclusively on LiSTNR on Tuesday, 15 June. Throughout the series Michelle and Zara will talk with guests including Kevin Kwan, Laura Henshaw, Jock Zonfrillo, Susan Carland, Hamish Blake and Delta Goodrem about the books that have had a profound impact […]
In celebration of Pride Month, cult streetwear brand Champion has announced an Australia-and New Zealand-first Pride range, Champions of Pride, and ongoing partnership with the Queer Sporting Alliance. Championing a cause, celebrating community, and aiming to create real change, the capsule collection proudly heroes the Pride colours in a selection of signature Champion tees, iconic […]
Following the successful deployment of BankiFi’s technology platform at The Co-operative Bank in the UK, BankiFi has appointed Lloyd Parata to lead their expansion into the Australian Financial Services market. BankiFi’s technology platform ensures banks remain relevant by offering SMEs an innovative solution to operate their business, whilst avoiding common challenges like late payment. Parata, […]
Mars Wrigley 5 Gum has partnered with Twitch to launch Team CLUTCH, a team of Twitch streamers who will assemble on for three live squad streams tackling popular games like Fortnite while embodying the brand’s ethos of ‘life happens in 5’. This partnership builds on 5 Gum’s 2020 Twitch activation, and is set to create […]