The convergence of real-time bidding and public relations is inevitable according to the founder of PR online marketing agency aimClear, Marty Weintraub.
Weintraub said traditionally branding and PR have been less focused at scale than direct response sales online.
“That’s because, as a rule in previous generations of marketing, distribution to the masses was limited in focus by lack of targeting technologies,” Weintraub said.
“Today, however, we can target content promotion widely by highly focused demographic and psychographics segments.
“Therefore smart PR folks understand that, from journalists to customer segments, we can use data via DSPs or exchanges to brand at scale with much greater granularity.”
Weintraub believes the biggest challenge facing marketers today is how to stay relevant amid the “tectonic marketing technology shifts”.
The checklist of skills that online marketers need to be able tick off today is long, diverse and complicated according to Weintraub (see below).
- Do I market to psychographics and segment personas properly?
- Do I understand at least 10 archetypal site retargeting methodologies?
- What systems can I apply to vet the avalanche of would be vendors? How might vendors’ wares apply to my marketing mix? Are the data points I use to decide what tactics to test first informed, reasonable, and fully defensible?
- Am I taking inventory of every type of online marketing that converts currently, and following non-converted traffic for greater scale conversion?
- Am I fluent in both organic and paid online video marketing in the new age.
- Do I really comprehend the variables in mapping search to display?
- How do emergent third party data interrelationships fit? Where does retargeting become straight up intent targeting? Do I really understand what’s happening here?
- Do I understand content, amplification, and how social distribution feeds the system?
- Do I create first and third-party systems that draw qualified customers into the attribution funnel and lead to conversion?
- Do I use social data to advise keyword research and vice versa? How clever can I be on the mashup tip?
- What is my philosophy of conversion? How do I handle the attribution mind f*ck?
- Do I really understand the TAO of top-of funnel/bottom-of-funnel systems
- Do I embrace the everlasting importance of segmented creative, designed for each unique touch a user encounters?
- Am I aware of the inevitable confluence of RTB and public relations?
Do you agree with this list? Is there something missing from it? Let us know your thoughts by leaving a comment in the form below
Weintraub is in Australia to present at this week’s Online Retailer Conference and Ecommerce Expo in Sydney.
Please login with linkedin to comment
Women in Print has re-launched itself this week to take on the year, and future ahead. A refreshed brand, website, calendar and team are leading the way with Women in Print also announcing a new partnership with The Real Media Collective. A new look, new management and new focus – Community, Knowledge, Network and Support […]
The global Out of Home (OOH) industry has today launched a campaign #OurSecondChance. The campaign asks simple questions about how we can make the most of the positive opportunities that have arisen out of the pandemic. Broadcast on OOH signs around the globe #OurSecondChance is collaboration between World Out of Home Organisation (WOO) and the […]
With the COVID-19 crisis affecting all crowd-based activities, youth mental-health charity batyr has devised the first-ever Run for the Herd Virtual Festival partnering with media business UM to bring the virtual event to life. With the City2Surf event in Sydney, normally a big fund-raising opportunity for batyr, postponed this year, batyr has created a virtual event and with the support of UM are encouraging […]
Following QMS’ acquisition of TLA Worldwide (Aust) last year, QMS Sport has today announced it will transition to the TLA brand and formally become a business unit of TLA. ‘Media Tech’ is officially the new name for what was formally known as QMS Sport, and will operate alongside TLA’s existing business units that span the […]