The convergence of real-time bidding and public relations is inevitable according to the founder of PR online marketing agency aimClear, Marty Weintraub.
Weintraub said traditionally branding and PR have been less focused at scale than direct response sales online.
“That’s because, as a rule in previous generations of marketing, distribution to the masses was limited in focus by lack of targeting technologies,” Weintraub said.
“Today, however, we can target content promotion widely by highly focused demographic and psychographics segments.
“Therefore smart PR folks understand that, from journalists to customer segments, we can use data via DSPs or exchanges to brand at scale with much greater granularity.”
Weintraub believes the biggest challenge facing marketers today is how to stay relevant amid the “tectonic marketing technology shifts”.
The checklist of skills that online marketers need to be able tick off today is long, diverse and complicated according to Weintraub (see below).
- Do I market to psychographics and segment personas properly?
- Do I understand at least 10 archetypal site retargeting methodologies?
- What systems can I apply to vet the avalanche of would be vendors? How might vendors’ wares apply to my marketing mix? Are the data points I use to decide what tactics to test first informed, reasonable, and fully defensible?
- Am I taking inventory of every type of online marketing that converts currently, and following non-converted traffic for greater scale conversion?
- Am I fluent in both organic and paid online video marketing in the new age.
- Do I really comprehend the variables in mapping search to display?
- How do emergent third party data interrelationships fit? Where does retargeting become straight up intent targeting? Do I really understand what’s happening here?
- Do I understand content, amplification, and how social distribution feeds the system?
- Do I create first and third-party systems that draw qualified customers into the attribution funnel and lead to conversion?
- Do I use social data to advise keyword research and vice versa? How clever can I be on the mashup tip?
- What is my philosophy of conversion? How do I handle the attribution mind f*ck?
- Do I really understand the TAO of top-of funnel/bottom-of-funnel systems
- Do I embrace the everlasting importance of segmented creative, designed for each unique touch a user encounters?
- Am I aware of the inevitable confluence of RTB and public relations?
Do you agree with this list? Is there something missing from it? Let us know your thoughts by leaving a comment in the form below
Weintraub is in Australia to present at this week’s Online Retailer Conference and Ecommerce Expo in Sydney.
Please login with linkedin to comment
Social Indigenous Enterprise We Are Warriors (WAW), supported by creative innovation studio R/GA Australia, has been selected to produce the City of Sydney’s New Year’s Eve Calling Country live performance as part of the 9pm firework show. Lead image L-R: WAW co-founders Ben Miles & Nooky. The performance will feature a special Welcome to Country […]
With just over 24 hours to go until the world premiere of Addy Lala and the Mood Tea Thieves, limited tickets are still available for the pantomime, which will run for one night only at the Everest Theatre in Sydney’s Seymour Centre on December 5th. All in the industry are encouraged to come along to […]
2045, a Melbourne-based creative agency founded by Tim Evans and Nick Auditore has just launched. The agency takes its name from the year futurist Ray Kurzweil predicted organic and artificial intelligence would converge. Lead Image: 2045 Team Evans was formerly a Partner and Executive Strategy Director at DT (now AKQA), before co-founding B.B.E in 2015. […]
The National Breast Cancer Foundation has been announced as the Charity Partner for Sydney New Year’s Eve. The Australian not-for-profit organisation is represented by the pink ribbon and raises money to fund world-class research towards its vision of zero deaths from breast cancer. Research that saves lives through a better understanding of how to prevent […]
This holiday season, Emporium Melbourne has announced its festive creative campaign that celebrates and encourages the Melbourne community to embrace their personal ‘untraditional traditions’ – the unique traditions that make Christmas truly special for them, and their family. The campaign’s tagline, “Every tradition starts somewhere”, reflects Emporium’s commitment to embracing, inspiring and applauding diverse traditions […]
Reddit has announced updates to its new ads placement with Carousel Ads and Product Ads. These new units, placed in the heart of Reddit discussions, provide an even more dynamic and compelling way for advertisers to scale to relevant audiences, deliver deeper value to users, and drive stronger, full-funnel performance among the hundreds of thousands […]
Automotive Network Drive has announced its 2024 upfronts, its biggest in more than a decade, with a suite of more than 12 new products that underpin its vision to be the number one automotive network in Australia. Now in its 27th year and with a monthly audience of 2.45 million, Drive is leveraging its reputation […]