The Australian market has really embraced digital advertising, says retargeting platform AdRoll. Unlike the US and the UK, digital advertising now attracts a larger ad spend than TV. Digital programmatic buying and big data prompted a marketing shift from analog guess-and-test programs to highly targeted real-time programmatic campaigns.
This shift has forced marketers to become more like analysts, using technology to react to always-on consumers in real time. It’s only natural that they’ve begun to demand tools that support their vision for a full-funnel, multi-platform, data-driven marketing strategy.
Retargeting allowed marketers to leverage first-party data to directly target the most promising individual consumers. It introduced a simple, practical way to put programmatic ambitions and valuable customer intent data into action and drove clearly measurable ROI. Today, programmatic buying techniques represent 60–70% of all display related ad spend in Australia.
But are Australian marketers truly embracing retargeting? Is it just a cheap conversion tactic or an important part of a full-funnel marketing strategy? Are marketers investing time and resources into retargeting?
To find out, we partnered with independent research firm Qualtrics to survey a diverse group of 200 professional marketers in Australia across a variety of industries and examined AdRoll retargeting campaign data.
Expanding the definition of retargeting
- Retargeting doesn’t just drive sales. 71% of marketers use retargeting for brand awareness and 55% for customer retention.
- The number one marketing objective of retargeting is brand awareness (71%), followed by driving sales (60%) and customer retention (55%).
- Total conversions came in as the #1 campaign success metric among Australian marketers. Insights into customer behaviour was a close second.
Increasing investment & performance
- 41% of marketers spend 10–25% of their entire online ad budget on retargeting.
- 69% of marketers intend to increase their retargeting budgets over the next 12 months.
- 74% of marketers claim retargeting campaigns increase online conversions—55% have seen an increase in mobile conversions.
- 93% of marketers claim retargeting performs equal to or better than other display, 90% equal to or better than email, and 88% equal to or better than search.
Catching up to consumers
- One in every two marketers is retargeting on mobile—rapid adoption driven by unparalleled cross-device performance.
- For both B2B and B2C, one in two marketers say social media is the single hottest topic in retargeting. Mobile and cross-device retargeting comes in at #2.
Addressing the attribution gap
- 90% of marketers consider attribution important or critical to success.
- Understanding the customer is the number one reason why marketers believe attribution matters.
- 47% of marketers think viewability tracking is the future of attribution.
Today, Integral Ad Science (IAS), a global leader in digital ad verification, released its Media Quality Report (MQR) for H2 2020, providing transparency into the performance and quality of Australian digital media, alongside global comparisons. Integral Ad Science’s H2 2020 MQR highlights brand safety, ad fraud, and viewability trends across display, video, mobile web, and […]
Quintis Sandalwood has appointed Illuminate as its global PR partner following a competitive pitch process. Proudly Australian, Quintis produces and markets Indian Sandalwood oil, logs, chips and powder products across the world to major companies in industries such as fragrance, aromatherapy, cosmetics, handicrafts and Traditional Chinese Medicine industries. Illuminate will be responsible for a global communications […]
Hopefully the weekend has given everyone enough time to recover from B&T’s 30 Under 30 awards and prepare themselves for our official photo dump! We shared some of the highlights last week, and now you can peruse all of the pictures taken on the night. Thank you to everyone for attending this year’s awards, and […]
Kinderling Kids Radio (Kinderling) has announced the completion of its move from DAB+, where it launched six years ago, to a direct-to-consumer streaming model, accessible online or through the Kinderling Kids iOS and Android app. The Parent Brand, the parent company of Kinderling Kids and Babyology, made the decision to shift as streaming and on-demand […]
Most people over 60 stay on top of their health with regular check-ups. Whether it’s eyes, prostate or breasts, they realise at their age it’s important. But one that gets ignored is hearing. They’d rather live with gradual hearing loss, and continually ask what, huh, pardon or sorry until it seriously impacts their life and […]
Creative communications agency Connecting Plots has been appointed by Casella Family Brands to handle the social media accounts for [yellow tail] wine in Australia. The win follows an audit of the Casella Family Brands social activities, which led to [yellow tail] rethinking its approach to social media and how it aligns with its overall marketing […]
v2food, has appointed HERO’s B.B.E as the lead strategic and creative agency for the brand following a competitive pitch process. v2food is an Australian pioneering food technology business with a global vision to feed the planet sustainably. After launching nationally in 2019, v2food has been on a mission to offer Australians an easy alternative to meat […]
Magnite (Nasdaq: MGNI), the largest independent sell-side advertising platform, today announced it has been working with Adform, the only independent global ad management platform covering all aspects of the digital campaign lifecycle, to scale first party identifiers in privacy-safe ways. With the pending elimination of third-party cookies, the industry must establish future-proof identity solutions for publishers and buyers.
The Commercial Producers Council is delighted to announce the appointment of Martin Box (pictured) as its new Co-Chair, effective immediately. Box, Head of Production at Airbag, joins Co-Chair Pip Smart, and fills the vacancy left by Lucas Jenner who steps aside from the Co-Chair role after four years of service, in accordance with the CPC’s […]