The Australian market has really embraced digital advertising, says retargeting platform AdRoll. Unlike the US and the UK, digital advertising now attracts a larger ad spend than TV. Digital programmatic buying and big data prompted a marketing shift from analog guess-and-test programs to highly targeted real-time programmatic campaigns.
This shift has forced marketers to become more like analysts, using technology to react to always-on consumers in real time. It’s only natural that they’ve begun to demand tools that support their vision for a full-funnel, multi-platform, data-driven marketing strategy.
Retargeting allowed marketers to leverage first-party data to directly target the most promising individual consumers. It introduced a simple, practical way to put programmatic ambitions and valuable customer intent data into action and drove clearly measurable ROI. Today, programmatic buying techniques represent 60–70% of all display related ad spend in Australia.
But are Australian marketers truly embracing retargeting? Is it just a cheap conversion tactic or an important part of a full-funnel marketing strategy? Are marketers investing time and resources into retargeting?
To find out, we partnered with independent research firm Qualtrics to survey a diverse group of 200 professional marketers in Australia across a variety of industries and examined AdRoll retargeting campaign data.
Expanding the definition of retargeting
- Retargeting doesn’t just drive sales. 71% of marketers use retargeting for brand awareness and 55% for customer retention.
- The number one marketing objective of retargeting is brand awareness (71%), followed by driving sales (60%) and customer retention (55%).
- Total conversions came in as the #1 campaign success metric among Australian marketers. Insights into customer behaviour was a close second.
Increasing investment & performance
- 41% of marketers spend 10–25% of their entire online ad budget on retargeting.
- 69% of marketers intend to increase their retargeting budgets over the next 12 months.
- 74% of marketers claim retargeting campaigns increase online conversions—55% have seen an increase in mobile conversions.
- 93% of marketers claim retargeting performs equal to or better than other display, 90% equal to or better than email, and 88% equal to or better than search.
Catching up to consumers
- One in every two marketers is retargeting on mobile—rapid adoption driven by unparalleled cross-device performance.
- For both B2B and B2C, one in two marketers say social media is the single hottest topic in retargeting. Mobile and cross-device retargeting comes in at #2.
Addressing the attribution gap
- 90% of marketers consider attribution important or critical to success.
- Understanding the customer is the number one reason why marketers believe attribution matters.
- 47% of marketers think viewability tracking is the future of attribution.
Over the years, VEGEMITE has been largely misunderstood across the globe, with Aussies often having to defend the spread and detail exactly “how to” best enjoy the stuff. But as it turns out, Australians have been getting it wrong this whole time! VEGEMITE and Thinkerbell ventured to food mecca New York to recruit Brooklyn Master […]
Subway has this week, officially launched its digital game Sink A Sub, with the first $10,000 prize already being awarded to a lucky recipient in Queensland. Subway’s Sink A Sub game is a user-friendly experience based on the infamous naval war board game Battleship. It was successfully launched for the first time in 2020 as […]
National Indigenous Television (NITV) has announced the appointment of Peter Noble as general manager, to support the continued growth and evolution of the channel dedicated to First Nations voices and perspectives. Noble (pictured) a proud Girramay and Bandjin man, joins NITV with more than 20 years’ experience in the media industry, working across content disciplines […]
Reality TV star, influencer and unabashed over-sharer Abbie Chatfield has signed with SCA to bring her hugely popular and fiercely candid podcast, It’s A Lot to Australia’s biggest audio content creator – LiSTNR. Chatfield’s never been afraid to call out bad behaviour or tell it like it is. And that’s just what people love about […]
CM Group, a portfolio of martech companies focused on multichannel digital marketing, today announced its merger with Cheetah Digital under the CM Group name. The merger expands and enhances both CM Group’s and Cheetah Digital’s ability to deliver innovative email, omnichannel, personalization, and loyalty solutions. The combined company will own a broad array of technologies […]
Independent ad tech platform Smart has announced a new partnership with connected TV (CTV) ad platform Publica to accelerate its growth ambitions. The integration is a major step in Smart’s commitment to building a scaled, vertically-integrated TV advertising platform for media buyers and sellers following its recent acquisition of global premium CTV demand-side platform (DSP) […]
Independent creative agency Edge has launched Nevro’s first local campaign, “I am not my pain”. Nevro is a medical technology company offering innovative solutions to chronic pain. Their HFX therapy has been available in Australia since 2011 and is a form of spinal cord stimulation (SCS), where an electrical device is implanted surgically near the […]
Pinterest has introduced a new suite of creator and Pinner products and experiences globally, as the platform continues to evolve to become home for the next generation of creators. At its second annual Pinterest Creators Festival, featuring Megan Thee Stallion and Storm Reid. Pinterest creators Kerin Rose Gold, Wendy’s World, Henri Purnell, Carolina Gelen and […]