The D&AD Professional Awards 2016 ceremony, which took place in London last night, showed off a swag of Aussie talent who picked up a stack of pencils to add to the glass cabinet.
D&AD celebrates and nurtures outstanding work in the design and advertising industry each year with its international creative awards.
The pencils awarded come in a variety of types, including Wood, Graphite, Yellow, White and Black. The Wood Pencil is equivalent to a Bronze award, while Graphite is equal to Silver.
The iconic D&AD Yellow Pencil is awarded only to the most outstanding work of creative genius, while White is work of Yellow Pencil level that demonstrates the ability to create real, powerful change in the world.
And the Black Pencil represents the ultimate creative accolade, groundbreaking in its field, with only a handful (if any) awarded each year, while the Most Awarded pencil prize goes to top agencies, studios, production and clients each year.
Representing the Australia/NZ region, Y&R NZ walked away with 11 pencils across a range of categories including the coveted Black & Gold Pencil for Most Awarded Advertising Agency.
But enough faff, let’s unveil the Aussie winners:
- DDB Sydney, #comeonin, Sydney Opera House – Mobile Marketing / Use of Social Media on Mobile
- Leo Burnett Melbourne #MyFamilyCan, SPC Ardmona – Integrated & Innovative Media / Integrated – Large Business (over 500 employees)
Media / Use of Retail Media
- Sixty40, Cake, Chartered Accountants – Film Advertising Crafts / Animation for Film Advertising
- Leo Burnett Sydney, Celebrity Tantrum, Samsung Australia – Mobile Marketing / Mobile Adverts
- Leo Burnett Sydney, Cheers to a Legend, Diageo Australia – Mobile Marketing / Integrated Mobile Campaigns
- M&C Saatchi, Clever Buoy, Optus – Product Design / Innovative Product Design
- George Patterson Y&R Brisbane, Crack Backs Cards, Brisbane Chiropractic Centre – Graphic Design / Stationery
- FINCH, Deng Adut, Univesrity of Western Sydney – Film Advertising Crafts / Direction for Film Advertising
Film Advertising Crafts / Use of Music for Film Advertising
- M&C Saatchi & Bang PR, Blue Ball Foundation, Game of Balls – Branded Content & Entertainment / Branded Content & Entertainment – Tactical
- Direct / Direct Response / Film Advertising
- PR / Creative Use of Media
Digital Marketing / Social Video
- Museum of Contemporary Art Australia, Grayson Perry My Pretty Little Art Career – Book Design / Culture, Art & Design Books
- M&C Saatchi, Heartbeat, Lexus Australia – Digital Design / Technological Innovation
- George Patterson Y&R Brisbane, Melanoma Patients Australia, Melanoma Likes Me – Digital Marketing / Use of Social Media
Direct / Direct Response/Digital
Media / Use of Social
Mobile Marketing / Use of Social Media on Mobile
- Revolver/Will O’Rourke, Piggy Sue, Vodafone – Film Advertising Crafts / Direction for Film Advertising
- Sydney Dogs and Cats Home – Branding / Branding Schemes/Medium Organisation
- M&C Saatchi Melbourne, The 2 Litre Towel, Australian Weaving – Writing for Design / Verbal Identity
- DDB Group Melbourne, The Unconventional Oven, Kidsafe – PR / Use of Media Relations
Media / Use of PR
- M&C Saatchi, Clever Buoy, Optus – Creativity for Good (White Pencil) / Service Innovations
- The Joy Agency, Cards Against Domestic Violence, Domestic Violence NSW – Writing for Design / Writing for Printed Materials & Graphic Communications
- George Patterson Y&R Brisbane, Melanoma Patients Australia, Melanoma Likes Me – Creativity for Good (White Pencil) / Advertising & Marketing Communications – Not for Profit
- Revolver/Will O’Rourke, Piggy Sue, Vodafone – Film Advertising Crafts / Casting for Film Advertising
Twitter has just experienced its fastest growth in revenue since 2014, with the social media platform benefiting from increased interest from advertisers. Revenue was up 74 per cent YoY, according to the company’s Q2 results, reaching $US1.19 billion ($1.6 billion) from $US683.4 million ($925 million) 12 months ago. The strong results came in the same […]
Wild Turkey has announced the launch of its new global creative campaign and platform, ‘Trust Your Spirit’, featuring the brand’s creative director and spokesperson, Matthew McConaughey. The global campaign and platform ‘Trust Your Spirit’ is to encourage people to be bold, unapologetically themselves, and stay true to who they are. The global tagline and ethos […]
Telecommunications company Optus has announced it will launch the world’s first TikTok sign-language activated filter. Featuring Optus ambassador Ian Thorpe, Optus will unveil a branded effect that shows TikTok users how to say key phrases in Auslan sign language, including ‘How are you?’ and ‘It starts with Yes’, through the hashtag challenge #SignYes. Optus will […]
Podsights has revealed new insights into the effectiveness of advertising in podcasts, tracking global and Australian podcast advertising trends. This is the first Australian report to be published since ARN partnered with Podsights to set the standard for best-in-class podcast advertising measurement. The report includes additional analysis and follows a series of Measurement Masterclasses held for […]
NGEN’s 2021 charity cup has raised over $175,000 for UnLtd charity partner Gotcha4Life. Gotcha4Life is a not-for-profit foundation raising awareness and funding to provide educational workshops and innovative programs that build mental fitness in individuals and communities. While Sydney and Brisbane completed the Charity Cup in June, before Covid restrictions hit, the final leg in […]
Australian tech incubator Cicada Innovations and Biennale of Sydney are launching the ‘New & Sustainable Materials Challenge,’ in an effort to create a more sustainable future. The works of chosen material-makers will be showcased to millions of Biennale audiences, exhibition partners, and exhibition makers globally. The Challenge is open to any Australian and UK startups, […]