IPG Mediabrands’ UM has had a huge account win for 2018, having been appointed to the federal government’s master media agency (MMA) services contract,B&T understands.
The pitch process for the account – estimated to be worth between $150 million and $175 million – kicked off in November last year, with dentsu X the incumbent.
Under the contract, UM will be required to:
- secure optimal media discounts on Commonwealth-wide media rates by consolidating government advertising expenditure and buying power;
- optimise media planning and placement, and apply media industry knowledge and expertise to government advertising activities through the MMA services;
- reduce Commonwealth entities’ procurement costs by having one MMA deed and avoiding the need for entities to set up and manage their own media procurement processes;
- drive efficiencies through the implementation of evidence-based campaign and non-campaign policies, by using advertising data to inform government’s decisions; and
- provide advice to government in relation to information and advertising campaigns and the performance of the MMA arrangement.
UM declined to comment on the win when contacted by B&T. However, a dentsu X spokesperson issued the following statement:
“We are proud of our achievements over the past four years servicing the federal government account and we thank them for their partnership during this time.”
“Whilst this is a disappointing loss, we look forward to working with our existing and new client partners to go beyond media, continuing to focus on solutions that help our clients realise lifetime customer value and deliver ‘experience beyond exposure’.”