In a follow-up piece from yesterday, Ryan Manning (pictured below), MediaCom’s 25-year-old content distribution director, has just spent his first week in Cannes. Here’s his top tips for first-timers to adland’s show of shows, and his top takeouts from 2016…
- Talk to EVERYONE. You never know who is standing next to you and most of the time you will be quite surprised.
- Go to an award show. It’s very tempting to spend 6-9pm each night out on the rosé. The evening never stops so don’t worry, you won’t miss out. The award show was one of the most inspirational parts of the trip for me.
- Have an open mind but don’t be afraid to challenge people. Everyone is there to debate and have a conversation about the industry. If you have an opinion, say it. But you also need to listen!
- Plan your parties! If you’re not on the list, you’re not getting in. Seriously. Waiting to get on a boat party with Fatboy Slim that you know deep down your never getting on is no fun, trust me.
- Make a list of people you want to meet and find them. I found everyone I reached out too extremely receptive to having a chat, must be something in the rosé.
- Like rosé… everyone drinks it, I have no idea why.
- Don’t only go and see people you have heard of, read the description and be surprised. Some of the best talks were the ones I stumbled upon.
- Go to talks that are not related to your specialism. You can learn a lot from people who don’t do what you do. Don’t go to five talks about programmatic.
- Have some fun! You will probably feel an overwhelming responsibility to come back to the office with some gold. Relax and take everything in, it will come to you. You can miss a lot if you’re franticly scribbling a statistic in your notebook.
As a summary, below are my top takeaways from Cannes Lions this year.
- Buy an Amazon Echo – even if it scares you.
- Buy some VR technology and make sure everyone in your business has used it.
- Variety is the spice of creative life, bring in people without marketing backgrounds.
- Don’t let targeting and adtech overcome your message.
- Build a brand, even if the ROI says no to start with.
In this guest post, founders of The Daily Aus Sam Koslowski and Zara Seidler discuss why in order to stay in the game and keep its user, social media giant Facebook needs to do more to combat hate speech… For young Australians, Facebook is on the decline. Unless the platform better responds to its user’s […]
A brave move has paid dividends for Baskin-Robbins Australia who recently announced they won the award for Best Digital Initiative at last week’s QSR Media Awards. Baskin-Robbins Australia’s Master Licensee, Palm Oasis Ventures took a risk in launching a digital winter campaign targeting a new millennial and Gen Z demographic when it partnered with Netflix to launch season 3 of the streaming giant’s most popular show, the sci-fi horror series, Stranger Things.
Leading eCommerce website development agency, Convert Digital, has achieved the coveted Magento Gold Status from Adobe. This accomplishment has been reached following the agency’s continuing work with the Magento 2 platform - platform that is incredibly robust and offers unrivalled flexibility and scalability.
Influencer marketing agency Born Bred Talent has partnered with the Starlight Children’s Foundation to mobilise their talent roster and support the Stream Raiser campaign, contributing over $95k in donations thanks to virtual fundraising efforts. With a combined reach of 6.2 million across Instagram, TikTok and Twitch, 9 Australian influencers contributed 76% of the $124k raised […]
In 2020, the ‘new wave’ of youth consumers have inspired the world with their activism and fundraising, so eGEN is proud to have partnered with UNICEF, Loserfruit and friends to help gamers fight COVID and help the world’s most vulnerable children. The world’s most famous strawberry will be joined by her Click crew for a […]
Silverbullet Data Services Group (Silverbullet), has become one of only four businesses globally to achieve Adobe Specialisation in EMEA for Adobe Audience Manager. Adobe Specialised Partners are acknowledged as the most skilled technical practitioners throughout the global partner ecosystem. Specialisations are earned after organisations achieve a level of certified expertise in an Adobe solution and […]
Food company General Mills has partnered with Zyper, a marketing platform that connects brands with their superfans, to build virtual fan communities for General Mills’ brands. As part of the agreement, General Mills will use Zyper’s software to initially identify the Betty Crocker and Fibre One brands’ top one per cent of fans on social […]
Facebook is continuing its Facebook Australia Groups Impact Fund, today announcing $500,000 in funding for the program. The grant was originally designated for bushfire recovery groups, however, has now been extended to local communities across the country who might be facing hardship. Facebook said it is on the lookout for groups that have a positive […]