If there’s a client that’s always tantalising to a creative agency, then it has to be those flogging beer.
Typically boasting big budgets, beer brands tend to be staunch fans of the 30-second TVC and, usually, allow for a fair bit of daring in the creative approach.
However, a new study, albeit a US one, has found that many creatives’ idea of only targeting Millennial-aged men when selling their latest offerings could be the wrong one.
The study of 2000 beer drinkers, by consumer research firm Origin and published on the media trade website AdWeek, found that consumers drank beer throughout their entire lives and a high proportion of beer drinkers were women.
What the study did reveal is that different generations – the Ys, Xs and Boomers – became more loyal to a brand the older they got. Origin declaring that beer marketers “would do well to explore creative approaches that connect with fans across gender and generational lines”.
The study’s chief findings included:
- 83.9 per cent of Millennials and 80.9 per cent of Boomers admit to having a favourite beer.
- 10.3 per cent of Millennials say they favour ice beers over lagers and lite beer; while it falls to 8.2 per cent for Gen Xers.
- 30 per cent of Boomers preferred lager and light beers.
- Some 26.5 per cent of female beer drinkers can’t name a favourite brand.
- Millennials say their chief reason for drinking beer is for the taste. For the Xers, it was for relaxation and the Boomers drank it because it was cold.
- Women also said the main reason for choosing a beer was for refreshment and because it was cold.
- 44.1 per cent of Millennials didn’t care if their brew was domestic or an imported beer. However, 50.5 per cent of Xers and 57.4 per cent of Boomers said they only drank American beers and eschewed anything imported.
- Millennials were the least price sensitive and were happy to spend more on a six-pack if they thought the beer was of better quality. That said, only 10 per cent of Ys, six per cent of Xers and three per cent of Boomers said they’d spend more than $US15 ($A20) on a six-pack of beer.
Swinburne University of Technology has launched a series of Bootcamp Graduate Certificate courses, developed in partnership with FourthRev. The courses, an Australian-first, will upskill career changers and provide students the capabilities required to thrive in the digital economy. They are available on-campus and through its online arm, Swinburne Online. Alongside completing projects which will emulate […]
PayPal has partnered with Welcome to Country, Australia’s first Indigenous-led not-for-profit marketplace, which showcases businesses that support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. Welcome to Country launched in 2019, providing an online platform for Indigenous experience providers across tours, day treks, scenic flights, bush food, festivals, art and cultural experiences. When the pandemic hit, the […]
Former liberal politician and female icon Julie Bishop has further cemented her celebrity status by scoring her very own Barbie doll. According to The Sydney Morning Herald, Barbie creators Mattel, created the Barbie doll in Bishop’s likeness to honour her achievements. Unfortunately, the Julie Bishop Barbie won’t be for sale. Instead, the one-off doll was […]
Full-service digital marketing agency Whitehat Agency has launched its new website and branding, with the end-to-end project delivered by its own team of experienced in-house website designers, developers and UX specialists. After a challenging 2020, Whitehat Agency has experienced a very positive 2021 to date, onboarding nine new clients including The Dog Mum, Handpicked Wines, Compost […]
Award-winning house and land provider, Thrive Homes has launched a new brand campaign to encourage homebuyers worried about the complicated process of building a new home to say 'no' to stress and 'yes' to an efficient, more affordable new home without compromising quality by making 'The Clever Choice' and choosing Thrive.
Fast-growing fintech startup DiviPay has announced the appointment of one of Australia’s most influential and reputable public figures in the accounting world, Trent McLaren, as its head of accounting. The move will enable Divipay to expand its reach into the accounting industry, with the aim of growing its business customer base. DiviPay, Australia’s first virtual […]
Independent agency Adhesive has been appointed the public relations agency of record in Australia for the Domain Group, a leading property technology and services marketplace. The appointment will see Adhesive support PR & communications and campaign media activity for Domain, across consumer, corporate and B2B market remits. Adhesive will work closely with Domain’s in-house communications, […]
Sean Szeps is a gay father and a proud member of the LGBTQIA+ community who believes he does not know enough about those within his community that have different gender and sexual identities to his own. Feeling compelled to explore the unique experiences of every member of the community, Szeps’ new podcast, Come Out Wherever […]