YouTube To Roll Out Shorts Revenue Sharing Program From February

YouTube To Roll Out Shorts Revenue Sharing Program From February

YouTube is set to start rolling out its revenue sharing program for adverts viewed in between videos on its Shorts feed.

The new revenue sharing plan, which will be available to creators who meet the eligibility criteria, will replace the existing YouTube Shorts Fund. However, YouTube said that it expects most creators to earn more money with the new revenue sharing model than from the Shorts Fund.

In order to start earning money from the revenue sharing scheme, creators will have to be signed up to the YouTube Partner Program (YPP). Creators need to have gained1,000 subscribers with 10 million valid public Shorts views in the last 90 days to be eligible for Shorts revenue sharing.

However, creators can still qualify for YPP with 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 public watch hours in the last 12 months on regular YouTube videos. But, any watch hours from Shorts views don’t count towards that threshold.

This change in payment model means that creators will have to adhere to YouTube’s existing advertiser guidelines in order to earn money from Shorts. As such, this requires creators to upload only original content and without violence, adult content, inappropriate language, and other typically brand-unsafe content.

In practice, the revenue sharing model will total up the money YouTube makes from adverts in between Shorts videos, send it to a Creator Pool based on views and music usage across Shorts videos.

From there, the money will be distributed pro rata to creators based on the proportion of views they gained among the monetising creators in their country. For example, if a creator accumulated 5 per cent of total Shorts views in Australia, they will receive 5 per cent of the Creator Pool money generated from ad revenue in Australia.

But, here’s the catch, creators will only keep 45 per cent of their allocated revenue. YouTube will keep the remaining 55 per cent.

Another significant catch is that only original videos for YouTube Shorts are eligible for monetisation. This means that creators will not be able to reupload the same content on Shorts as they have on TikTok and Instagram Reels and expect to earn money.

This revenue sharing model gives Shorts a significant boost over its other short-form competitors which have not managed to find an efficient way to reward creators beyond general fund models.




Please login with linkedin to comment

YouTube YouTube Shorts

Latest News

Albo Responds To Meta: “Not the Australian way”
  • Media

Albo Responds To Meta: “Not the Australian way”

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said Meta’s decision to stop paying for Australian news is “not the Australian way” and that he is “very concerned” about the announcement. Meta today confirmed it will walk away from funding Aussie journalism once the current content deals expire in what is a significant blow to Australia’s largest publishers. […]

Media Outlets Respond To Meta’s Decision To Stop Funding Australian News
  • Media
  • Technology

Media Outlets Respond To Meta’s Decision To Stop Funding Australian News

The Australian media industry has responded to Meta’s decision to walk away from funding Aussie journalism once the current content deals expire. In a blow to local media outlets, Meta said it will not enter negotiations to extend deals to pay Australian media companies for the news that appears on its platforms. Michael Miller, News […]

FIVEAA Unveils Refreshed Brand Identity
  • Media

FIVEAA Unveils Refreshed Brand Identity

NOVA Entertainment has today announced the launch of a refreshed brand identity for FIVEAA, Adelaide’s premier commercial talkback station. The forward-looking brand refresh reflects FIVEAA’s new lineup and vision while paying homage to the station’s previous logo and rich heritage. Built upon the new tagline of Always Adelaide, the new direction celebrates the ‘AA’ branding […]

Fabulate Wins Big At AiMCO Awards
  • Marketing

Fabulate Wins Big At AiMCO Awards

Australian social and content marketing workflow platform Fabulate has won big at the industry’s annual AiMCO Awards, taking out the highly competitive Best Influencer Marketing Technology Service category. Lead image: Fabulate team at Aimco Awards The win saw the start up platform, which has a team of around 50, receive the industry recognition against competitor […]

Hubbl Is Here: Newest Transformative TV Tech On Sale March 10
  • Media

Hubbl Is Here: Newest Transformative TV Tech On Sale March 10

Australia’s newest transformative TV technology, Hubbl, will be on sale from March 10 in Harvey Norman and JB Hi-Fi retail stores nationally and via Hubbl.com.au. Lead Image: Foxtel CEO Patrick Delany at Hubbl Launch. Also from March 10, Hubbl will unveil a national advertising campaign starring brand ambassadors Hamish Blake and Andy Lee. The multi-channel […]