Just a few days out from Donald Trump’s inauguration, and it seems the President-elect is finding it a tad tricky to gather a crowd. Currently, reports claim about 900,000 people will arrive in Washington for the event, a figure that’s just half of the crowd Obama’s inauguration drew.
“The inauguration is our moment in American history, and I want you to be with me on inauguration day,” Trump said in a Facebook video. “It’s going to be so exciting.”
The messages appearing on Facebook feeds claim, “President-elect Trump wants to personally invite” users to the Inaugural Welcome Concert and Swearing-In Ceremony, which Seven and PLUS7 will be covering live for the Australians who actually want to watch the trainwreck.
Interestingly, as Tonight Show staffer Marina Cockenberg noticed,the Facebook ads were targeted to New Yorkers over the age of 27.
imagine being so disliked that 4 days before your inauguration you start paying to send desperate FB ad invites to “person, 27+” pic.twitter.com/UQ0m4D7vg4
— mah ree nah (@marinarachael) January 17, 2017
People who sign up will apparently receive commemorative tickets — not required for admittance — “as a keepsake to frame”.
Some choice comments on the Facebook post include:
- Can’t make it, but I will definitely tune in for the impeachment proceedings!
- My dog needs her anal glands expressed that day. I figured I should learn to do it myself, since we are going to be reluctantly cleaning up ? in a few years anyway.
- Sorry, I won’t be able to make it. I need to be well rested for this little march a few women friends of mine have the next day. Should be a good time. Maybe you will see us on the news. If so, make sure you tweet a sexist remark. Thanks.
- Sorry can’t do. Having elective root canal surgery. Scheduled back on Nov 9th.
- Mmm, I’d really like to, but I’d rather have all of my soft tissue gnawed off my body by rabid woodland creatures. Maybe next time when our country is smart enough to elect a REAL president.
Trump is also getting caught out in his lies, with claims that dress shops have sold out in Washington as people prepare for the ceremony.
“All the dress shops are sold out in Washington. It’s hard to find a great dress for this inauguration,” he said.
However, according to various large and small Washington retailers, there is a veritable supply of ball gowns in the nation’s capital. Nice try, Trump.
A number of artists have also gone public about being approached to perform at the inauguration, and promptly turning down the offer.
So far, his top-name bookings include Toby Keith, 3 Doors Down, and Angelina Jolie’s dad, while a Springsteen cover band scheduled to perform has since backed out.
The Independent UK put together a fun little video of all the artists rejecting Trump, and their tweets or public statements giving reason.
Then of course there’s Twitter:
Is this for real? Donald Trump is so desperate to fill up seats at inauguration that he’s put an ad on Facebook to invite people? pic.twitter.com/HDnSV2tZbd
— Mario Almonte (@Almonte) January 16, 2017
— Marisa (@mjurczyk_) January 17, 2017
Trump giving away tickets to inauguration on Instagram
His Supporters are instead starting on their medical savings accounts? pic.twitter.com/3pRxgrVhms
— Blaine Bershad (@BlaineBershad) January 16, 2017