Radio Today’s 40 Most Influential People in Australian Radio in 2019 seeks to hold a mirror to reflect the way radio is evolving, evident by the eight new names who appear for the first time.
This year’s list leans in on the content, marketing and audio side of the radio business.
Only executives working full time within a radio station or network were considered.
That also means no on-air talent were included, only executives working behind the scenes.
Major names missing due to their departure from active duty or changes in Radio Today’s criteria include Mitch Fifield, Lachlan Murdoch, Michelle Guthrie, Michael Mason, Rob Atkinson, Peter Bush, Robert Kaye, Russell Tate, Guy Dobson and Ollie Wards.
FM radio dominates the list, mostly due to its competitive format.
There are 14 executives from Southern Cross Austereo, eight from NOVA Entertainment, seven from Australian Radio Network, four from ABC Radio and just one from Macquarie Media.
This is the first edition of Radio Today’s most influential list with a woman in the top spot.
Of the 40 trailblazers listed below, 11 women have been named for their influence (27.5%).
That figure rises from 9 from 40 in 2018, but is a clear sign that senior representation in the industry has a long way to go.
Australian Radio Network and Macquarie Media are the only two networks with no women in qualifying executive positions.
The Top 40:
1. Cathy O’Connor – Chief Executive Officer, NOVA Entertainment
2. Ciaran Davis – Chief Executive Officer, Australian Radio Network
3. Grant Blackley – Chief Executive Officer & Managing Director, Southern Cross Austereo
4. Adam Lang – Chief Executive Officer, Macquarie Media
5. Paul Jackson – Group Program Director, NOVA Entertainment
6. Duncan Campbell – Group Content Director, Australian Radio Network
7. Joan Warner – Chief Executive Officer, Commercial Radio Australia
8. Mike Fitzpatrick – Head of Content, Triple M Network (SCA)
9. Ita Buttrose – Chair, Australian Broadcasting Corporation
10. Gemma Fordham – Head of Content, Hit Network (SCA)
11. John Kelly – Chief Operating Officer, Southern Cross Austereo
12. Janet & Alison Cameron – Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, Grant Broadcasters
13. David Anderson – Managing Director, Australian Broadcasting Corporation
14. Kevin Blyton – Chair, Capital Radio Group
15. Derek Bargwanna – Head of Content, KIIS Sydney & Melbourne (ARN)
16. Ben Latimer – Program Director, Nova 96.9 & Nova 91.9 (NE)
17. Peter Clay – Head of Programming, Nova 96.9 & smoothfm Network (NE)
18. Irene Hulme – Head of Music, Hit Network (SCA)
19. Mickey Maher – Head of Music, Triple M (SCA)
20. Chris Scaddan – Head of Music, Australian Broadcasting Corporation
21. Jeremy Millar – Strategy & Transformation, Australian Broadcasting Corporation
22. Jay Walkerden – Head of Podcasting & Nova 106.9 Program Director, NOVA Entertainment
23. Brendan Taylor – Group Program Operations Director, NOVA Entertainment
24. Rowly & Judy Paterson – Executive Directors, ACE Radio Network
25. Dave Cameron – General Manager, Southern Cross Austereo Melbourne
26. Grant Tothill – Head of Podcasting, PodcastOne (SCA)
27. Dan Bradley – Content Director, Triple M Melbourne (SCA)
28. Michael Harvey – Chief Operating & Financial Officer, Australian Radio Network
29. Scott Muller – Content Director, WSFM (ARN)
30. Geraint Davies – Chief Operating Officer, iHeartRadio Australia (ARN)
31. Bill Caralis – Managing Director, Super Radio Network
32. Tony Thomas – Chief Marketing and Digital Officer, NOVA Entertainment
33. Anthony Xydis – Chief Marketing Officer, Australian Radio Network
34. Nikki Clarkson – Head of Marketing and Communication, Southern Cross Austereo
35. Mathew Eggleston – Hit Network National Operations Manager, Southern Cross Austereo
36. Jane Elliot – Publicity Director, NOVA Entertainment
37. Adrian Brine – Head of Talent Development Southern Cross Austereo
38. Gary Roberts – Managing Director, 96FM (ARN)
39. Jamie Angel – Content Director, Triple M Sydney (SCA)
40. Amanda Lee – Content Director, Fox FM (SCA)
B2B marketers could learn a thing or two from their B2C colleagues, argues WP Engine VP APAC sales Mark Randall in this guest post. It surprises me how many B2B organisations are not quite hitting the mark when it comes to reaching their audience. When talking directly to businesses, many brands are missing an opportunity […]
The majority of adverts uploaded to Facebook aren’t created for Facebook as its priority. This is causing huge inefficiencies and poor performance for brands, many of whom are facing up to shrinking budgets. Tom Phillips (main photo) managing director at Connecting Plots shares lessons from 12 campaigns they optimised for auto brands… It’s no secret […]
On Wednesday, 21 October 2020, the PR industry was bolstered by the launch of the Public Relations Institute of Australia’s (PRIA) first University Mentoring Program in New South Wales, adapting the traditional face-to-face program to a virtual format for the first time. In collaboration with the University of Technology Sydney (UTS), the PRIA NSW Young […]
JCDecaux has developed a dynamic digital campaign with live timetable data where commuters can access their money from MyPayNow while waiting for the bus. In an exclusive nationwide Out-Of-Home campaign, JCDecaux’s SMARTFRAME digital assets are broadcasting bus arrival times, letting commuters know how far away their next bus is – and just how easy it […]
Rokt has today announced an investment of US$80M. The capital will help accelerate research & development and support the expansion of its client base into new verticals and geographies as Rokt continues to make e-commerce smarter, faster, and better. The funding round was led by Rokt’s largest institutional shareholder TDM Growth Partners , and supported […]
PayPal Australia and Buy From The Bush have joined forces to launch a new online marketplace to showcase rural Australian small businesses in time for Christmas. The expanded partnership aims to build stronger connections between bush businesses and Australians in cities and suburbs across the country. The new Buy From The Bush Marketplace is an […]