Poll Finds Most Aussies Have Little Or No Interest In The Melbourne Cup

Poll Finds Most Aussies Have Little Or No Interest In The Melbourne Cup

According to an Essential Poll, just 11 per cent of Australians say they have a high interest in the Melbourne Cup, which is down 5 points from last year. 

Despite some states even shutting down for race day (we are looking at you Victoria), the poll said that 27 per cent said they had “low interest” in the race and 35 per cent said they had “no interest”. This means that a total of 62 per cent had little or no interest. 

About a quarter said they had moderate interest and 3 per cent said they didn’t know. 

Most Aussies do agree – at 65 per cent – that the cup is a unique part of Australia’s national identity. However this was down seven points year-on-year and only 50 per cent of people in the 18-24 age demographic agreed with the statement. 

Men had higher interest in the Cup than women, with 13 per cent of men reporting “high interest” compared with 9 per cent of women.

The Cup is more popular with an older demographic – just 9 per cent of those aged 18-34 reported high interest compared to 13 per cent in the over 55s. 

About two-fifths of Aussies said they will bet on the race, with 26 per cent they rarely bet on horses but will make an exception for the race. 

What Does This Mean For TV Ratings? 

This will be the last year that the famous horse race will be hosted by Network 10. Earlier this year the broadcaster withdrew its bid to broadcast the Melbourne Cup, meaning the landmark five-year $100 million dollar deal it signed back in 2018 will not be renewed.

Network 10 said the shift towards a more wagering-focused product meant it had to walk away. 

The race usually scores highly with viewers – last year the race pulled in a total of 1.053 viewers, making it one of the most-viewed events of the year. It was down on the year before, however, when it pulled in 1.7 million punters.

Despite the depressing figures B&T‘s on the ground team are sending in reports of a packed Flemington. 

Our reporters will be on on the ground to cover all of the action, controversy and marketing mayhem at this year’s Melbourne Cup!

B&T’s On-The-Ground journos




Please login with linkedin to comment

Melbourne Cup TV Ratings

Latest News

Scroll Media Recruits Costa Panagos From Twitch
  • Advertising

Scroll Media Recruits Costa Panagos From Twitch

Digital publisher network Scroll Media has employed ex-Amazon Twitch gaming executive Costa Panagos (lead image) to strengthen its Scroll Gaming capability. Panagos is highly experienced in game advertising and media sales professional with two years in account management at Twitch and three years in media sales at News Corp, so will bring his extensive media agency […]

Year13, Microsoft & KPMG Australia Launch AI Course For Gen Zs
  • Technology

Year13, Microsoft & KPMG Australia Launch AI Course For Gen Zs

School-leaver service Year13 has launched a new Artificial Intelligence course to upskill young people in AI, made in collaboration with Microsoft and KPMG, at an event to rally industry support behind youth AI fluency. The free online course AI Amplified which is part of Year13’s Academy aims to provide all young people with the opportunity […]

General Motors Snares Heath Walker From Scania
  • Advertising

General Motors Snares Heath Walker From Scania

General Motors has announced the appointment of Heath Walker (lead image) as the new marketing director for GM Australia and New Zealand, effective April 23, 2024. Walker brings a wealth of marketing and communications experience gained from working across various industries, including IT, sporting, and auto – notably Tesla, Nissan and most recently, Scania in […]