Campaign Monitor analysed billions of emails sent by Australian organisations and other global government organisations.
The analysis were made across millions of campaigns in order to find the industry benchmarks.
These industry benchmarks demonstrate the numbers load up against the average, showing the area of improvement and where the campaigns excel. It also aids see the most engagement and conversions of your subscribers.
EMAIL OPEN RATE
Email open rate is the percentage of total emails that open when reached an inbox. The open rates can vary from campaign form campaign depending on the content and the subject line.
- The average email open rate for all industries: 17.8 per cent
- The best day for highest email open rate: Tuesday 18.3 per cent
- The worst day for lowest email open rate: Saturday 17.5 per cent
Top industry by open rate
- Government: 30.5 per cent
- Non-profit: 25.2 per cent
- Education: 23.4 per cent
- The average email open rate for all industries: 19 per cent
- Best day for highest email open rate: Tuesday 19.7 per cent
- Worst day for lowest email open rate: Saturday 17.9 per cent
Top industry by open rate
- Automotive and Aerospace: 37.4 per cent
- Government: 30.8 per cent
- Education: 30.5 per cent
- Construction, Contracting, & Manufacturing: 28.1 per cent
EMAIL CLICK-THROUGH RATE
Email click-through rate is the total number of subscribers who click on the on the image or link in all emails that have been delivered. The click-through rate shows you what images, topics, copy, and CTAs lead to the greatest amount of site traffic and engagement. It allows you to deliver content that interests your subscribers.
- The average email click-through rate for all industries: 2.6 per cent
- The best day for highest email click-through rate: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday 2.6 per cent
- The worst day for lowest email click-through rate: Wednesday and Saturday 2.5 per cent
- The average email click-through rate for all industries: 2.7 per cent
- Best day for highest email click-through rate: Sunday and Tuesday 2.8 per cent
- Worst day for lowest email click-through rate: Saturday 2.5 per cent
EMAIL CLICK-TO-OPEN RATE
Email click-to-open rate is the percentage of people who click somewhere in your sent email out of the total number of opens. It will have higher percentage than the click-through rate as it measures the people who click out of a smaller number of people.
It measures how effective your email is since it’ll collect how many people were inspired to visit your site directly by that email.
- The average email click-to-open rate for all industries: 14.3 per cent
- The best day for highest email click- to-open rate: Thursday and Friday 14.4 per cent
- The worst day for lowest email click- to-open rate: Sunday 14.2 per cent
Top industry by click-to-open rate
- Real Estate, Design and Construction Activities (17.7 per cent)
- Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting (17.1 per cent)
- Media, Entertainment, and Publishing (16.9 per cent)
- The average email click- to-open rate for all industries: 14.1 per cent
- Best day for highest email click- to-open rate: Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday 14.2 per cent
- Worst day for lowest email click- to-open rate: Saturday 13.8 per cent
Top industry by click-to-open rate
- Media, Entertainment, and Publishing (20.3 per cent)
- Real estate, Design, and Construction activities (17.3 per cent)
- Education (16.0 per cent)
- IT, Technology, and Software Services (15.3 per cent)
EMAIL UNSUBSCRIBE RATE
Email unsubscribe rate is the percent of people who have opt out of receiving emails from you. The unsubscribe rate can help you understand the if certain topics or content makes your audience disinterested.
- The average email unsubscribe rate for all industries: 0.1 per cent
- The best day for lowest email unsubscribes rate: Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday 0.1 per cent
- The worst day for highest email unsubscribes rate: Friday, Saturday 0.8 per cent
- The average email click- to-open rate for all industries: 0.2 per cent
- Best day for lowest email click- to-open rate: All days were 0.2 per cent
- Worst day for highest email click- to-open rate: All days were 0.2 per cent
EMAIL BOUNCE RATE
Email bounce rate is the percentage of emails to subscribers that couldn’t be delivered due to permanent or temporary issues.
- The average email click-to-open rate for all industries: 7 per cent
- The best day for lowest email bounce rate: Wednesday 0.6 per cent
- The worst day for highest email bounce rate: Tuesday 0.2 per cent
- The average email click- to-open rate for all industries: 0.9 per cent
- Best day for lowest email bounce rate: Saturday 0.7 per cent
- Worst day for highest email bounce rate: Tuesday 1.0 per cent
The email deliverability of your company will impact everything from your open rates to clicks and conversations since it measures your aptitude to deliver emails to your subscribers’ inboxes. There can be negative impact on your deliverability due to poor engagement, bounces, and being marked as spam will lower the number of your sent emails to your subscribers.
Please login with linkedin to commentEmail Marketing Benchmark
me&u, Australia’s first and leading mobile ordering and payment platform, has appointed Clementine Churchill as Head of Marketing as they continue to drive rapid growth and expansion in Australia and new international markets. A highly experienced marketing leader and recognised industry thought leader, Churchill joins me&u from My Muscle Chef, one of Australia’s top rated […]
MILO is on the search for Australia’s best made MILO, calling on fans to share their creations for the chance to win #TheMILOCup, via Ogilvy Sydney. This integrated campaign follows on from the success of last year’s ‘Hot v Cold’ campaign, which encouraged Aussies to settle the debate on whether MILO is best enjoyed hot […]
New research from Getty Images, a world leader in visual communications, has found that LGBTQ+ representation in ANZ remains low and stereotypical. It’s 2021 – this needs to change – especially in marketing and advertising. In partnership with GLAAD, the LGBTQ+ media advocacy organisation, Getty Images has launched a full-spectrum Guidebook in direct response to […]
Natural historian Sir David Attenborough is one of the most commanding and respected storytellers in the world and now the iconic series, David Attenborough Life Stories, is available on LiSTNR as part of SCA’s recently announced partnership with the BBC. David Attenborough Life Stories is a series of talks on the natural histories of creatures and […]
Menulog has doubled down on its marketing support for restaurant partners, with the promotion of Senior Marketing Manager, Rami Tamer, to a newly created role of ‘Head of Partner Marketing’, as well as the promotion of former-Blue 449 Performance Manager, Jaryd Buggins. In the new Head of Partner Marketing role, Rami will lead a team […]
ARN has announced Barry Drinkwater will be handing over his content director reins at 97.3FM and 4KQ to respected radio executive, Alisson Longhurst. Drinkwater has had a stellar career in radio spanning more than four decades, and was acknowledged as one of Australia’s Top 20 Content Directors by Radio Today in 2020. He began his radio career […]
Australia’s largest social enterprise is turning 25. On the anniversary of Australia’s first Big Issue magazine being sold on the steps of Melbourne’s Flinders Street Station in June 1996, Town Square has created a campaign to mark the occasion. 25 Years Big is a celebratory statement of pride, rendered in the iconic Big Issue logo […]
The Australian commercial radio industry has joined a global working group of broadcasters, carmakers and tech experts collaborating on the innovation of radio in Android Automotive. Android Automotive is Google’s infotainment operating system which is being built into new connected cars. Industry body Commercial Radio Australia is part of the working group, led by the […]
For the third consecutive year, Triple M’s No Talk Day will return on Thursday July 1 to raise awareness around men’s mental health and encourage courageous conversations on Triple M’s 45 stations across the country with support from partner Beyond Blue. From 6:00am – 6:00pm on July 1, Triple M is encouraging listeners to clear […]
Consumer shifts in how and where people buy products evolved significantly during the COVID-19 pandemic, creating new opportunities for retailers to use new channels, fulfilment strategies and payment options, according to the results of a new survey out today from BigCommerce and PayPal. While a majority of the 3,000 consumers surveyed from the United States, United Kingdom […]
Here is EVERYTHING you need to know about contextual advertising bar the curling wand and the hot pink leg warmers.
The brainchild of co-founders Gina Williams-Folau (main photo) and Greer Bland, the talent agency Liquorice was born out of a desire to make things easier for brand managers. Liquorice offers social talent for brands wanting to hit the sweet spot with Kiwi audiences. Launching with a roster of big names on board including Millie Elder-Holmes, Athena […]