Analytics professionals are still in high demand, with the biggest pay increases for key roles and emerging talent, but those in mid-tier roles will need to boost their soft skills to increase salaries, new research has found.
The annual Institute of Analytics Professionals of Australia (IAPA) Skills and Salary Survey reports on the state of the Australian analytics market based the responses of data and analytics professionals in Australia.
Insights include salary levels, technologies used, skill levels and expectations for the future.
IAPA chief executive Jodie Sangster said: “While many more organisations now have an analytics team, it is soft skills like communication, influencing and advocacy that will ensure the business can take action on analytics-driven insights.
“These are the essential skills for analytics professionals in 2018.
“Adding these soft skills to your analytics team is a business imperative for any analytics leader, as it directly impacts the perceived success of analytics across the organisation, and the ability to act on insights.”
Here are some of the other key themes of the survey:
- Expert and entry–level salaries are accelerating: the top 10 per cent report a salary increase of 7 per cent to a median of $235,000, and the bottom 5 per cent report an increase of 9 per cent to $72,000 annually.
- Gender pay gap in analytics is half the Australian average: the pay gap between men and women in 2017 improved slightly to 8 per cent; almost half of the Australian job market pay gap of 3 per cent.
- Soft skills will get you the job: a candidate that has a good breadth of soft skills, including communication, presentation and business leadership, will be more employable than one with only a range of technical skills.
- Team managers and technical experts get top dollar: to earn more, manage a team or uplift your skills in big data technologies or advanced analytical techniques.
- Disruption is common but is disconnecting sectors: AI has arrived, but there’s a disconnect between the readiness of businesses on the vendor side (now) and within industry (still in two to three years).
- Make time to build innovation: time for innovation is the biggest challenge for analytics professionals. If a more disciplined approach to innovation isn’t implemented, analytics teams run the risk of becoming all about servicing business demands, and organisations will struggle to get the competitive advantage that analytics provides.
- Employers now expect at least three soft skills and five technical skills for the median analytics professional salary of $130,000. To increase the value to the organisation, and increase salary, team management skills (including soft skills) or more specialised technical skills are required.
- The survey reported team managers earn a median salary of $163,000 ($33,000 above the median) and top dollar is paid for more bespoke technical skills like natural language processing, social network analysis and optimisation, as well as machine learning and artificial intelligence (AI), cloud, big data and text mining.
To this end, the IAPA has introduced a Business Interaction for Analysts course to help analytics professionals gain and improve their soft skills.
The course provides a career boost for those in data and analytics and covers communication, persuasion, influencing and skills to improve interactions with the rest of the business. IAPA corporate members can undertake the course at discounted member rates.
Criteo has announced its expansion to offer Criteo Retail Media solution across six markets in Asia Pacific (APAC). Its Retail Media solution helps brand advertisers to use retailer’s first-party data to advertise on retailer sites and apps, as well as across the open Internet. Since its regional launch in Japan by the end of 2019, […]
In light of the prolonged lockdown occurring throughout New South Wales, Semi Permanent Sydney has announced new dates for this year’s festival. It will now take place between 17-19 November 2021 at Carriageworks. “Our mission, always, is to craft the best and most valuable experience for both our speakers and audience, and to ensure the […]
Acast, the independent power source of podcasting has teamed up with Comscore to provide brand suitability controls for brands advertising through the Acast Marketplace. This new innovation is part of a global partnership with Comscore, and will be available to all advertisers working with Acast Australia and New Zealand. The brand suitability solutions offered by […]
Social media management solutions company Hootsuit, has announced that Maggie Lower has joined the company as chief marketing officer. Lower will own the brand’s overall global strategy, demand generation, communications, and events. Prior to joining Hootsuite, Lower was the global chief marketing officer at Cision, the first chief marketing officer at TrueBlue, and has held […]
Headquartered in Melbourne, Trade Indy is expanding off the back of strong client retention and consistent growth through existing and new business. Founded in Melbourne in 2014, the team have since expanded the business through team members in Singapore, Indonesia, Tasmania and Queensland, and are pleased to announce the full-time employment of NSW commercial director […]
Outbrain Inc. has announced the pricing of its initial public offering of 8,000,000 shares of common stock at a price to the public of US$20.00 per share. The gross proceeds to Outbrain from the offering, before deducting the underwriting discounts and commissions and offering expenses, are expected to be approximately $160 million. The shares began […]
HubSpot, the customer relationship management (CRM) platform for scaling companies, has announced that as part of its World Certification Week, it is supporting the GO Foundation with its mission to empower young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people through education. As part of the support, HubSpot will donate $5 for every HubSpot Academy certification awarded […]
IntelligenceBank has today announced a strategic growth investment from Five Elms Capital. The $US37 million ($50 million) investment comes as brands and enterprises have realised that outdated technologies, disjointed data sources, and manual processes make it challenging to efficiently manage essential marketing workflows and ensure compliance across the organization. IntelligenceBank digitally transforms manual processes and […]
Southern Cross Austero (SCA) announced today 10 all-new DAB+ music stations on LiSTNr. The introduction of the 10 new Dab stations takes the number of music stations to 25 and reinforces its commitment to growing exclusive music programs and content. The 10 new stations have been created to cater to a variety of moods and […]