McDonald’s China is in damage control after a restaurant in Guangzhou was found displaying a sign banning black civilians from its premises.
The sign, which has caused an uproar on social media, said the McDonald’s store in Guangzhou had been “informed that from now on black people are not allowed to enter the restaurant”.
McDonald’s was forced to issue an apology and said in a statement: “[The sign is] not representative of our inclusive values.
It has since been removed the restaurant was temporarily closed.
McDonald’s also said it will use the closure to “further educate managers and employees on our values, which includes serving all members of the communities in which we operate.”
Again, for those who still doubt that Black people and particularly #AfricansinChina are being targeted we feel it is our duty to share this. A sign at a @McDonalds restaurant seems to make this perfectly clear pic.twitter.com/FaveKrdQHi
— Black Livity China (@BlackLivityCN) April 11, 2020
Racism against African Americans in China has always been rife, and there have been reports of black residents in Guangzhou being targeted by authorities amid fears of a new COVID-19 outbreak in an area known as ‘Little Africa’.
Not that McDonald’s can handle the bad press right now, with the coronavirus pandemic wreaking havoc on its sales. Last week, it reported sales at restaurants open at least a year dropped over 22 per cent in March, while it experienced a 35 per cent decline in its international markets.