In a further sign that Australia is getting on top of the COVID-19 pandemic, hardware giant Bunnings Warehouse has revealed it is bringing back its beloved Saturday morning sausage sizzle.
Speaking on Ben Fordham’s breakfast show on 2GB his morning, Bunnings chief operating officer Deb Poole shared the good news.
“We are really, really excited to announce that our Bunnings sausage sizzle is back in NSW and the ACT from this weekend,” she said.
While ACT residents will get to enjoy the snags from this Saturday, in NSW we’ll have to wait another week before we can enjoy the delicacy.
Queensland, Western Australia, South Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory have been enjoying the sausage sizzles since July. There is no word on when the sausage sizzle will return in Victoria.
Poole confirmed there are already 130 community groups ready to go for the first weekend of sizzling in NSW.
As well as serving as a source of nourishment for shoppers, the Bunnings sausage sizzle plays an important role in helping community organisations.
Last year over 40,000 snags were sold, raising important funds for these local organisations.
“It means so much to so many people. It supports a lot of community causes and raises a lot of money for the local community. It is loved.”
Of course, COVID-19 means there will be social distancing restrictions for hungry shoppers.
“It’s all about making sure everyone is safe,” Poole said. “There is extra hygiene and cleaning taking place, social distancing, and we’ll be using the NSW app so customers can check in to make sure it’s safe for the customers and the community.”
Bunnings has been one business that has enjoyed success in recent months, despite the COVID-19 pandemic.
In June, Wesfarmers (which owns Bunnings) revealed sales growth at Bunnings was up 19.2 per cent in the second half of the financial year compared with 5.8 per cent in the first half.