The Marketing Academy has announced that it will hold its 2017 Showcase Lecture on Wednesday 25 October 2017 in Sydney.
This event will conclude the Marketing Academy’s 2017 Scholarship Programme prior to the graduation of the academy’s 30-strong cohort, and will feature industry leaders including Clemenger BBDO chief Andy Pontin (pictured above), The Ethics Centre executive director Dr Simon Longstaff, Microsoft Australia CMO Pip Arthur, and The Marketing Academy founder and CEO Sherilyn Shackell.
This year’s Scholarship Programme, sponsored by PwC, Microsoft, News Corp, Google and Commonwealth Bank, began in March when the 2017 scholars were announced.
Each scholar was selected from across the marketing, media, communications and advertising sectors, representing the best of the best from agency, client-side, corporate, charity, entrepreneurs, media and publishers.
The 30 scholars of this year’s programme have undertaken an intense nine months of powerful mentoring, coaching and lectures from CMOs, CEOs and business leaders across Australia and the world.
“We are thrilled to see our third cohort of scholars present their showcase to the industry,” Shackell said.
“We truly hope that everyone will be inspired by these 30 marketers at what promises to be a great event.”
The lecture this year will focus on the pillars that underpin the programme:
- be an extraordinary human;
- be an inspirational leader;
- be an exceptional marketer; and
- be a change maker.
The lecture will cover how the industry is creating marketing leaders of tomorrow, and how authentic leadership can improve performance, people engagement and commercial results whilst remaining an overall good human.
Clemenger’s Pontin, who has been involved with The Marketing Academy since its Australian launch in 2015, said: “Everyone in our industry complains about the lack of talent, but few are prepared to do anything about it.
“Clemenger has been a proud supporter and sponsor of The Marketing Academy from day one and is committed to helping develop the next generation of industry leaders.”
The Marketing Academy’s class of 2017 are:
- Amanda Fuller – managing partner and APAC regional lead, DDB Group
- Andrew Da Silva – head of The Travel Team, MediaCom
- Brent Whelan – group marketing manager of spreads and beverages, Fonterra
- Cally Scivetti – marketing and strategy director, Val Morgan
- Chris Gross – marketing director, Audible Japan
- Colin Glynn – head of insights, Lion Co
- David Griffiths – managing director, Iris Worldwide
- Ebonie Newman – director of sales (APAC), Storyful
- Gary Elphick – founder and CEO, Disrupt Sports
- Jacquelyn Cowardin – group business director, DWA
- James Stewart – director of emerging products, IAG
- Jane King – senior marketing director, APN Outdoor
- Jayne Andrews – marketing director, Carnival Australia
- Julia Donnan – head of hardware marketing, Google
- Kara May – group director of marketing, Knight Frank
- Kate Gamble – general manager, Resolution
- Kathy Damatopoulos – performance media manager, Suncorp Group
- Lucie Wolstenholme – head of marketing (Oceania), Nestle
- Margy Vary – head of marketing, Guardian Australia
- Matt Parkes – executive manager of deposits, transactions and youth, CBA
- Mimi Flemming – general manager, Vice Media
- Nathan Wilson – senior product marketing manager, Microsoft
- Niki Allen – head of marketing, BT Investment Management
- Paul Den – partner, Banter
- Pia Chaudhuri – creative director, One Green Bean
- Ruth Taylor – senior brand manager, Yum! Restaurants International
- Sarah Jauncey – head of brand marketing and communications, Cancer Council NSW
- Sarah Peacock – marketing director, True Local
- Simon Davies – managing director, Bastion Brands
- Tim Kenward – group brand manager, McDonald’s Australia
The Showcase Lecture, sponsored by Seven West Media, Macquarie University, Clemenger BBDO, Sydney Opera House, B&T and Mediacom, will be hosted by Val Morgan Cinema Group and held at Event Cinemas in George Street, Sydney.
FREE tickets are available to anyone within the industry, but numbers are limited so book soon!
Nominations for the 2018 Scholarship Programme are also now open. Click here for more information.
Verizon Media’s talent program has come to an end for the third year, closing with a hybrid pitch-off event for Musicians Making A Difference (MMAD). The Verizon Media Academy class of 2021, made up of 44 emerging leaders from across Australia and New Zealand media, advertising and marketing industry, were given just one hour to […]
Social purpose organisation UnLtd’s Big Games competition has raised a combined $85,000 for children and young people at risk. Running over five weeks, the competition involved 32 teams from across the advertising, marketing and media industries battling it out virtually for a chance to qualify for the Rocket League final. The tournament culminated in a […]
Stan has announced that the Stan Original Film Transfusion commenced filming in Sydney earlier this week and will premiere on Stan in 2022. Transfusion is a taut, muscular thriller starring Sam Worthington (Avatar) as Ryan Logan, a former Special Forces operative, who is battling to cope with life after the loss of his wife and is thrust […]
According to a decade of data collected by iStock, Australian brands turned to imagery depicting outdated gender stereotypes during the pandemic. Tracking the keyword ‘women’, iStock by Getty Images found that in 2020, ANZ brands and businesses reverted to gender stereotypes. Images of mothers home-schooling were used at almost twice the rate of images of […]
Schwartz Media is congratulating Maddison Connaughton on her three years as editor of The Saturday Paper. Connaughton has decided to finish up her editorship this month. “It’s been an honour to edit the paper,” Connaughton said. “The Saturday Paper is one of the brightest voices in Australian media and I have been happy to see […]
Research from EdBbirdie using Spotify data has identified the most popular songs to study to. After analysing thousands of studying and homework playlists on Spotify, American singer Olivia Rodrigo’s ‘drivers license’ came out as top song to study to. It featured on 48 study playlists, while other top songs included ‘Ophelia’ by The Lumineers, ‘Falling’ […]
Dayna Stewart is the Business Director – Digital Marketing, Media & Creative Services at The Nudge Group. Here, she discusses the challenges that come with building a successful marketing team when working remotely. Before COVID-19 changed the way businesses work, most marketing teams spent their days together in a meeting room collaborating on the next […]
The line-up for the 2021 iHeartRadio Music Festival has been announced as the legendary event returns live in Las Vegas in September. This year, the epic two-day lineup for the iHeartRadio Music Festival main stage will feature performances by Billie Eilish, Cheap Trick, Coldplay, Dua Lipa, Florida Georgia Line, Journey, Khalid, Lil Baby, Maroon 5, Nelly, […]
Shop! ANZ is calling on shopper and retail marketing professionals from all retail related disciplines to participate in the first ANZ Shopper and Retail Marketing Industry Survey in four years. This important research provides a guide of where the retail marketing industry in Australia and New Zealand has come from and what is anticipated to […]