Fairfax Media has reported an $83.9 million profit for the last financial year despite its revenue from print advertising continuing to decline.
The company’s profit result is a big turnaround from the $893.5 million net loss it posted in FY16.
However, the results also showed that Fairfax’s overall revenue fell 4.8 per cent to $1.74 billion in the 12 months to 30 June 2017, while its earnings before interest tax, depreciation and amortisation were down 4.3 per cent to $271.1 million.
Furthermore, advertising revenue for Fairfax’s metro publishing division – which includes The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and The Australian Financial Review – was down 17 per cent.
Fairfax’s real estate arm, Domain, experienced an 8.1 per cent rise in revenue to $320.3 million during FY17, with digital revenue up 18.8 per cent, while print ad revenue was down 12 per cent.
Meanwhile, Fairfax’s SVOD joint venture with Nine, Stan, is witnessing 150 per cent year-on-year growth in subscription revenue, with close to 800,000 active subscribers.
“Today’s result shows Fairfax is in great shape,” CEO Greg Hywood said in a statement to shareholders.
“We have delivered strong value for shareholders through growth and transformation initiatives. The strategy we commenced five years ago has successfully maximised cash flows of our publishing assets, and with that, built growth businesses in Domain and Stan.
“Our three publishing businesses are modern, cost-efficient and sustainable across digital and print. In the context of the global structural change impacting upon the media industry, the fact that our publications remain profitable and sustainable is an outstanding achievement.”
Fairfax also revealed that it plans to retain 60 per cent of Domain once it is listed separately on the ASX, with the remaining 40 per cent to go to Fairfax shareholders.
The company expects Domain shares to commence trading in mid to late November, while Nick Falloon has been elected chairman of the real estate business.
Culture-leading publisher Highsnobiety continues to evolve its local operations with the appointment of Citizens of Culture as its strategic partner across media operations within Australia. Highsnobiety is a premium global brand dedicated to cultural pioneers, with work spanning across digital platforms, print media, documentaries, cutting edge events, a shopping platform and a full service creative […]
An investigation by British broadcaster ITV has found that Amazon is destroying millions of items in unsold or returned stock. The report specifically focuses on one of the 24 warehouses the company has in the UK. According to ITV News, the destroyed items are largely unused and new, either returned items or those which never […]
Australian fashion brand Witchery has partnered with B Corp GlamCorner as part of GlamCorner’s subscription box offering as the demand for everyday essentials soars. This partnership marks another milestone for the Australian fashion industry towards becoming more circular and introducing more paths to reduce textile waste. Customers nationally will be able to rent more of […]
The media, marketing and creative industries are being encouraged to host their own ‘Curry Club for COVID’ before 30th June to help meet the ambitious $100k target set by its organisers. Curry Club for COVID, which was conceived by long-time adtech executive Peter Bray, sales director at Impact, and is powered by industry social purpose organisation […]
The UnLtd Cup is returning for its tenth consecutive year, marking a decade of soccer shenanigans that’s raised nearly $500,000 for children’s mental health charity, KidsXpress. On July 22-23rd, 28 teams from across the industry will battle it out on the soccer field in the two-day tournament at Sydney University Sports and Fitness Centre, Darlington. […]
Australian-bred company Ultra Commerce has acquired New Zealand-based company Vesta eCommerce, a global software business providing leading product data management solutions. The recent acquisition is a significant move for the business, which is Australian born, owned, and headquartered, but has built out a global presence as it pursues rapid growth in the eCommerce market. Connecting […]
Canteen’s latest campaign features the combined talents of Director Luna Laure and creative agency Crater. The campaign strives to raise awareness for young people affected by cancer. The awareness campaign centres around Harry Barentson, who at 12 years of age found out his pregnant mum had cancer. The campaign aims to bring awareness to Canteen’s […]
In partnership with storytelling agency Enthral, AFL legend Kevin Sheedy has voiced a ‘Love Letter to Victoria’ using visuals to showcase the state’s natural beauty and culture. Victoria has been hit with the worst of the coronavirus pandemic compared with any other Aussie state, experiencing four lockdowns. Sheedy partnered with Enthral to share a love […]