Diageo Australia has announced the launch of a major new brand campaign for Bundaberg Rum – the biggest one for the brand in over a decade.
The ‘Unmistakeably Ours’ campaign was created and executed with the help of Leo Burnett Sydney, and will be activated across multiple channels, including TV, out of home, digital and in-store.
With a media value of $20 million over the next 18 months, the campaign launches with a new 90-second TVC tonight to coincide with the launch of the 2017 NRL season and Bundaberg Rum’s second year of sponsoring the rugby league competition.
The 90-second TV spot opens with actor Gyton Grantley reminding us about the importance of Australia’s enduring values, and features cameos by Olympic gold medallist Anna Meares and surfing hero Julian Wilson, who famously paddled towards a shark in an attempt to save his mate (Mick Fanning) from an attack.
The spot also includes a Mardi Gras scene celebrating Australia’s enduring optimism and culminates in a celebration with the Bundaberg Rum team outside the distillery in Queensland.
Bundaberg Rum marketing manager Jodi McLeod said the brand has always celebrated the Australian spirit but never articulated this purpose as clearly or with as much pride as the new campaign.
“Recent brand research highlighted that pride in Australia has dropped to its lowest point in 20 years, and so, as Australia’s national drink, we wanted to celebrate the spirit that’s unmistakably ours and elevate the role that Bundy plays in bringing Aussies together,” she said.
“The campaign is a rally cry to unite all Australians around the best of the Aussie spirit and celebrate everything that makes us and our country brilliantly unique.”
Vince Lagana, joint executive creative director at Leo Burnett Sydney, said the words ‘Aussie pride’ come with baggage, so the agency set out to create a campaign “to remind Australians of the values that make us truly unique today”.
“All while maintaining the humour that Bundy is famous for,” he added.
- Adam Ballesty – marketing and innovation director
- Jodi McLeod – marketing manager
- Joanna Gibson – senior brand manager
- Clara Lee – senior insights manager
Leo Burnett Sydney:
- Vince Lagana and Grant McAloon – executive creative directors
- Michael Dawson and Adam Bodfish – senior copywriter
- Ben Alden and Nils Eberhardt – senior art director
- Jason Young – senior designer
- Ross Cameron and Graham Alvarez – planning director
- James Walker-Smith – group business director
- Neil Duncan – business director
- Rachel Devine – senior broadcast producer
- Adrian Jung – head of print
- Linda Tran – communications strategist
- Stuart Capel – media director
- Courtney Rule – PR strategist
- Liz Hunt – publicity director
- Gideon Hornung – experience director
- Alexandra Roubine – social media strategist
- Prudence McKendry – content producer
- Kit Baker – content creator
- Gotham Pillai – content writer
- Lachlan Dickie – director, Rabbit Content
- Lucas Jenner – executive producer, Rabbit Content
- Marcus Butler – producer, Rabbit Content
- ARC EDIT – offline
- Blackbird VFX – online
- Song Zu – music and audio
- Toni Higginbotham – casting
- Prodigious Brand Logistics – social content
- Jamie Macfayden – photographer, Louis & Co
- Will Palmer-Reeves – producer, Louis & Co
- Prodigious Brand Logistics – retouching
- Lauren Small – client services director
- Craig Cooper – investment and partnership director
- Alicia Phillip – digital director
- Fiona Hedge – planner/buyer
- Kate Holland – account executive
Over the years, VEGEMITE has been largely misunderstood across the globe, with Aussies often having to defend the spread and detail exactly “how to” best enjoy the stuff. But as it turns out, Australians have been getting it wrong this whole time! VEGEMITE and Thinkerbell ventured to food mecca New York to recruit Brooklyn Master […]
Subway has this week, officially launched its digital game Sink A Sub, with the first $10,000 prize already being awarded to a lucky recipient in Queensland. Subway’s Sink A Sub game is a user-friendly experience based on the infamous naval war board game Battleship. It was successfully launched for the first time in 2020 as […]
National Indigenous Television (NITV) has announced the appointment of Peter Noble as general manager, to support the continued growth and evolution of the channel dedicated to First Nations voices and perspectives. Noble (pictured) a proud Girramay and Bandjin man, joins NITV with more than 20 years’ experience in the media industry, working across content disciplines […]
Reality TV star, influencer and unabashed over-sharer Abbie Chatfield has signed with SCA to bring her hugely popular and fiercely candid podcast, It’s A Lot to Australia’s biggest audio content creator – LiSTNR. Chatfield’s never been afraid to call out bad behaviour or tell it like it is. And that’s just what people love about […]
CM Group, a portfolio of martech companies focused on multichannel digital marketing, today announced its merger with Cheetah Digital under the CM Group name. The merger expands and enhances both CM Group’s and Cheetah Digital’s ability to deliver innovative email, omnichannel, personalization, and loyalty solutions. The combined company will own a broad array of technologies […]
Independent ad tech platform Smart has announced a new partnership with connected TV (CTV) ad platform Publica to accelerate its growth ambitions. The integration is a major step in Smart’s commitment to building a scaled, vertically-integrated TV advertising platform for media buyers and sellers following its recent acquisition of global premium CTV demand-side platform (DSP) […]
Independent creative agency Edge has launched Nevro’s first local campaign, “I am not my pain”. Nevro is a medical technology company offering innovative solutions to chronic pain. Their HFX therapy has been available in Australia since 2011 and is a form of spinal cord stimulation (SCS), where an electrical device is implanted surgically near the […]
Pinterest has introduced a new suite of creator and Pinner products and experiences globally, as the platform continues to evolve to become home for the next generation of creators. At its second annual Pinterest Creators Festival, featuring Megan Thee Stallion and Storm Reid. Pinterest creators Kerin Rose Gold, Wendy’s World, Henri Purnell, Carolina Gelen and […]