Producer Behind 60 Minutes Saga Sacked As Investigation Finds “Inexcusable Errors”

Producer Behind 60 Minutes Saga Sacked As Investigation Finds “Inexcusable Errors”
SHARE
THIS



Stephen Rice, the producer behind the botched 60 Minutes saga that saw a mother, four Nine employees and members of a child recovery agency jailed, has exited the network, effective immediately. Other members of the staff involved have received formal warnings.

The news comes after Nine launched a full investigation into what went wrong with independent reviewers. The reviewers were founder of 60 Minutes Gerald Stone, former producer and senior Nine exec David Hurley, and the company’s general counsel Rachel Launders.

Rice (second from left above) lost his job, despite the review recommending no one singled out for dismissal. However, it did say management should ensure strong disapproval at those involved.

In early April this year 60 Minutes flew over to Lebanon’s capital Beirut to film an attempted child recovery operation. Sally Faulkner, the mother, had alleged her husband had taken their two children on holiday to Lebanon and had not returned them to Australia. Faulkner and the Nine crew – journalist Tara Brown, producer Stephen Rice, cameraman Ben Williamson and sound recordist David Ballment – were detained by Lebanon authorities and held in Beirut on kidnapping charges. The charges were dropped in late April and the team flown back to Australia.

One Friday afternoon Nine released a five page report on the key findings of the independent review, claiming there were “inexcusable errors”.

“I had the honour to help start that stopwatch ticking 37 years ago and regrettably this has been the gravest misadventure in the program’s history,” said 60 Minutes founder Gerald Stone.

“It’s clear from our findings that inexcusable errors were made. I still believe, however, that 60 Minutes – lessons learned – can continue to earn the respect and attention of the viewing public for years to come.

CEO Hugh Marks added the execution of the story was at odds with the company’s ordinary approval process.

“The manner in which we produced Sally Faulkner’s story exposed our crew to serious risks, and exposed 60 Minutes and Nine to significant reputational damage,” he added. “We got too close to the story and suffered damaging consequences.

“Amongst other elements of the execution of this story it was inappropriate, and at odds with our standard procedure, for a payment to be made directly by 60 Minutes to the recovery agency that had been independently contracted by Sally Faulkner. It was also inappropriate, with the risks involved for our crew, not to have consulted with Nine’s security advisers before the story was finalised.”

Marks said Nine would be expanding and upgrading its story selection and approval process. Marks’ full statement is at the bottom of this article.

The manner of payment from Nine to the child recovery agency garnered much scrutiny too. The findings said the payment of stories is not ideal but unavoidable in today’s world. However the report defended this action saying there was little difference in paying the agency or Faulkner as it was all going to the same thing.

A number of questions were raised within the report around Nine’s obligation to the story and if the consequences were properly weighed.

And while acknowledging Faulkner’s plight deserved coverage, the reviewers said the story could have been done in a way that did not put anyone in danger.

Subsequently, there was a lack of process and numerous errors of judgement throughout the whole scandal.

One particular point raised was the high level of autonomy given to 60 Minutes producers, meaning the producers felt no need to consult the higher up news team about the story.

“If Nine’s usual procedures had been adhered to, the errors of judgement may have been identified earlier, with the result that the story would not have been undertaken at all, or at least not in the way in which it was implemented,” the report stated.

After consideration of the report, Nine Entertainment Co. CEO Peter Costello said a more rigorous risk management system is being installed.

“It is the determination of the Board to build a robust system of checks and balances to guard against such events occurring in the future,” he said. “Our talented people are the most valuable resource of the company and their safety is our priority.”

Hugh Marks’ full statement

“The manner in which we produced Sally Faulkner’s story exposed our crew to serious risks, and exposed 60 Minutes and Nine to significant reputational damage. We got too close to the story and suffered damaging consequences.

“Amongst other elements of the execution of this story it was inappropriate, and at odds with our standard procedure, for a payment to be made directly by 60 Minutes to the recovery agency that had been independently contracted by Sally Faulkner. It was also inappropriate, with the risks involved for our crew, not to have consulted with Nine’s security advisers before the story was finalised.

“As a result of the review, we are expanding and upgrading our processes related to story selection and approval, how we approve contracts and payments and the way we conduct risk assessments. We have an obligation to our staff, our shareholders and our viewers to operate in ways that enhance our reputation as a leading producer of news and current affairs.

“We also accept a broader obligation to get our judgement calls right regarding what stories we pursue, and how we pursue them. Implementation of the recommendations of the review will assist us in making the right choices in the future.

“More than two children a week are believed to be taken from Australia as part of custody disputes. It is an important issue that 60 Minutes was attempting to bring to wider public attention and we hope that the actions of our crew have not in any way diminished the importance of the issue.

“At its best, 60 Minutes represents outstanding journalism that remains of vital importance to our viewers, to the wider community and to Nine. This incident, while deeply regrettable does not diminish our commitment to the program or our confidence in its future given the highly talented team who produce the program each week.”

Please login with linkedin to comment

60 minutes saga Advertising Standards Bureau Marketing Decisions

Latest News

Simone Biles Makes History… Becoming The First Olympian With Their Own Emoji
  • Technology

Simone Biles Makes History… Becoming The First Olympian With Their Own Emoji

If you’ve been watching the Olympics these past few days, chances are you’ve probably come across the talent that is US gymnast Simone Biles. Biles has encapsulated viewers with her athletic jumps, flips and all-around gymnastic genius. As a result, Biles has also dominated social media feeds, with fans pouring out their admiration for the […]

by B&T Magazine

B&T Magazine
Australian Study Finds Guidelines Are Needed For Vaping On TikTok
  • Media
  • Technology

Australian Study Finds Guidelines Are Needed For Vaping On TikTok

A study conducted by the University of Queensland has claimed that the social media app TikTok needs to create regulations around vaping. Researchers at the University of Queensland analysed and evaluated the content of over 800, of TikToks most viewed vaping videos. Collectively the TikToks amassed over one billion views.  The study found that 63 […]

ESPN Secures Landmark Deal With NBL
  • Media

ESPN Secures Landmark Deal With NBL

ESPN and the National Basketball League have extended their broadcast partnership for a further three seasons as part of an expanded television rights package. ESPN and the National Basketball League announce a new expanded agreement that will run for three seasons, until the end of the 2023/24 NBL season. The landmark broadcast deal comes with […]

Workit Spaces Launches Aussie First ‘Beyond The Store’ Web Series
  • Marketing

Workit Spaces Launches Aussie First ‘Beyond The Store’ Web Series

Sydney-based co-working startup, Workit Spaces, announced today the launch of ‘Beyond The Store’, a six-part web series to uncover the smarts and passion behind successful Australian eCommerce businesses. Workit Spaces has gone where no other coworking hub has gone before, by investing over $100,000 to tell the stories of six Australian eCommerce businesses and how […]

Semi Permanent Sydney Announces New Dates For 2021 Festival
  • Marketing

Semi Permanent Sydney Announces New Dates For 2021 Festival

In light of the prolonged lockdown occurring throughout New South Wales, Semi Permanent Sydney has announced new dates for this year’s festival. It will now take place between 17-19 November 2021 at Carriageworks. “Our mission, always, is to craft the best and most valuable experience for both our speakers and audience, and to ensure the […]

Acast Adds New Brand Suitability Controls For Advertisers Via Comscore
  • Advertising
  • Media

Acast Adds New Brand Suitability Controls For Advertisers Via Comscore

Acast, the independent power source of podcasting has teamed up with Comscore to provide brand suitability controls for brands advertising through the Acast Marketplace. This new innovation is part of a global partnership with Comscore, and will be available to all advertisers working with Acast Australia and New Zealand. The brand suitability solutions offered by […]

Hootsuite Appoints Maggie Lower As Chief Marketing Officer
  • Marketing
  • Media

Hootsuite Appoints Maggie Lower As Chief Marketing Officer

Social media management solutions company Hootsuite, has announced that Maggie Lower has joined the company as chief marketing officer. Lower will own the brand’s overall global strategy, demand generation, communications, and events. Prior to joining Hootsuite, Lower was the global chief marketing officer at Cision, the first chief marketing officer at TrueBlue, and has held […]