The Readership Works general manager Mal Dale said EMMA (Enhanced Media Metrics Australia) would soon launch another series of innovations.
The cross-platform audience insights survey turns one today.
Last month, EMMA released a raft of product enhancements as part of its innovation roadmap for the rest of this year, including a new geo-targeting tool and additional product and category data. This follows the launch of the EMMA engagement metric in June, the world’s largest and most comprehensive study of print engagement.
Dale said more innovations would launch throughout the year, cementing EMMA’s position in the market as the pre-eminent audience measurement survey.
“EMMA’s world-class and robust methodology has demonstrated that newspaper media brands deliver large and engaged audiences and today we have year on year data available for the first time that validates this audience growth: total national, metropolitan and larger regional newspaper media now reaches 14.5 million people per month, up from 14.3 million this time last year,” Dale said.
“While print is down 4% overall, an 11% increase in digital audiences shows the community maintains a voracious appetite for our mastheads’ journalism and commercial content.
“We will continue to collaborate with the industry as part of our commitment to continuous innovation. We have been impressed by the ongoing and valuable contribution from the MFA and a number of individual agencies in facilitating further enhancements to the survey, which we plan to make public in the near future.
“We are extremely pleased with the market reaction to emma and continue to work closely with the industry to ensure that emma meets and exceeds market needs.”
Ipsos MediaCT managing director Simon Wake said: “Industry transition is well under way and we have been impressed by the ongoing and valuable contribution from our clients in both proposing and facilitating further enhancements to the survey. And it’s not just media agencies. We’ve also had considerable interest from a number of advertisers and advertiser sectors that are actively trialling the EMMA data and providing input into the development of the emma questionnaire.
“We look forward to working with our clients in year two and beyond to help navigate the changing media landscape.”
EMMA innovations to date include:
- The EMMA data has now been fused into RDA Research’s geoTribes Explorer database enabling the provision of audience profiles at the local area level
- The EMMA survey will now contain even more comprehensive usage and purchase information for key brands within product categories such as travel, airlines, automotive, sport, quick service restaurants, food and health
- Purchase information based on the Household Expenditure Survey conducted by the Australian Bureau of Statistics has been incorporated into the emma database. This information includes household expenditure data across an initial 34 product categories, with additional categories being added over coming months
- The EMMA survey is now fused with The Health Care and Insurance Australia survey, which provides information on health insurance among Australians
- The Ipsos Food and Health Report, which is an annual survey of 3,000 Australians, is fused with EMMA. The study provides information on the changing mindset, preferences and behaviour of consumers in relation to food and healthy eating
- The EMMA Engagement metric is designed to demonstrate a reader’s unique relationship with printed newspapers and magazines, measuring 189 publications, including newspapers, magazines and newspaper inserted magazines. EMMA has undertaken the world’s largest and most comprehensive study of print engagement with more than 20,000 respondents, drawn from the EMMA audience insights survey, asked about their relationship with publications
- The fusion of Nielsen Online Ratings data with the EMMA survey
- Australia’s largest database of regional and community newspaper readership
- Readership data on individual branded sections of newspapers
- The inclusion of geo-demographic customer segmentation tools
- New contemporary segmentation of the Australian population with 10 new consumer segments identified
- Monthly release of a rolling 12 month database
- Independently audited
- Built in collaboration with the Media Federation of Australia and Magazine Publishers Australia
EMMA has been developed by independent research company Ipsos MediaCT, the global leaders in local audience measurement. Ipsos conducts national audience surveys and is the official measurement system in over 40 countries including the UK, Italy and France.
In this guest post, CTO of Wiise, Hamish Browne (pictured below), says tech’s new focus on privacy will lead to new rules and new ways of doing business for marketers… With the delicate balance between customer data and privacy in the spotlight like never before, the potential emergence of new standards and business models, is […]
Businesswoman, reality TV star, and social media personality Kim Kardashian has posted an ad for mysterious cryptocurrency Ethereum MAX [EMAX]. In a post on her Instagram story – where she has 228 million followers – Kardashian wrote: “Are you guys into crypto????” “This is not financial advice but sharing what my friends just told me […]
Great Southern Bank has launched a brand campaign this week, ‘Happily Clever After’, coinciding with its name change from Credit Union Australia, bringing to life its purpose of helping all Australians own their own home. The journey to changing from Credit Union to Great Southern Bank began back in 2020. When Australia’s largest customer-owned bank, […]
Nine has promoted Jo Clasby to the role of commercial director – publishing, where she will report to Nick Young. She was previously director of client partnerships – publishing. Her new role establishes her at the same level of seniority as Anthony Smyth, commercial director – radio. Smyth was promoted at the start of this […]
Hospitality giant Accor is shining a light on the joy of cities through its newest campaign, ‘Go ALL Out’, which launches in Australia and New Zealand today. The gateway to the ‘Go ALL Out’ campaign is ALL – Accor Live Limitless, a lifestyle loyalty program that integrates rewards, services and experiences throughout the Accor portfolio […]
Global affiliate and partner marketing firm Silverbean has secured new contracts with 13 major Australian brands and is now working to double the size of its Asia-Pacific team. Silverbean launched in Australia in 2019 and has seen steady growth through its work with retailers. Now, with 15 new brands joining the Silverbean portfolio, the agency […]
Tourism PR and marketing agency GTI has announced the appointment of longtime media executive Jenny Pham as its new general manager of marketing and strategy. Pham (pictured above) will lead the agency’s marketing division with responsibility for strategy, media and consumer marketing, while GTI founder and managing director Sarah Anderson remains as the day-to-day lead […]
Clipboard, a free professional networking platform for the hospitality industry, has announced it will seek to raise its next round of funding via equity crowdfunding platform Birchal. This will power its vision to transform the way the fragmented hospitality industry connects, shares experiences, markets and recruits. With a growing member database of over 24,000 hospitality […]