A shooting at the San Bruno headquarters of YouTube in California has left four employees injured and the female shooter dead.
While details of the incident are scant, some media outlets have suggested a domestic dispute between the woman and her partner had spurred on the shooting.
According to reports, the woman in her 30s opened fire in the outdoor dining area of the headquarters just after lunch.
Onlookers were quick to take cover, however, four employees were injured during the shooting.
A 27-year-old woman is believed to have been rushed to hospital, along with a 32-year-old woman and 36-year-old man.
The female shooter died at the scene from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Speaking on the attack, San Bruno police Chief Ed Barberini said, “It was very chaotic as you can imagine.”
YouTube media operations staffer Dianna Arnspiger said she did not recognise the female shooter, and commented on the large size of the weapon.
“It was a big gun. I know guns, because my father was in law enforcement,” she added.
Google Communications has released a statement on the shooting over Twitter.
— Google Communications (@Google_Comms) April 3, 2018
Social Media platform Instagram has taken to Twitter to offer condolences to YouTube and the victims.
From everyone at Instagram, we are deeply saddened by today's events at @YouTube. We are sending our love to the YouTube family.
— Instagram (@instagram) April 3, 2018
President Donald Trump has also released a Tweet on the events.
Was just briefed on the shooting at YouTube’s HQ in San Bruno, California. Our thoughts and prayers are with everybody involved. Thank you to our phenomenal Law Enforcement Officers and First Responders that are currently on the scene.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 3, 2018
Merely hours after the shooting, someone had reportedly hacked a YouTube staffer’s Twitter to spread false information about the incident.
— Ken Schwencke (@schwanksta) April 3, 2018
The earlier Tweet asking Twitter users to find Vadim’s friend linked to a photo of Daniel “Keemstar” Keem, a controversial YouTube creator.
B&T has contacted Google Australia for further comment.
Women in Print has re-launched itself this week to take on the year, and future ahead. A refreshed brand, website, calendar and team are leading the way with Women in Print also announcing a new partnership with The Real Media Collective. A new look, new management and new focus – Community, Knowledge, Network and Support […]
The global Out of Home (OOH) industry has today launched a campaign #OurSecondChance. The campaign asks simple questions about how we can make the most of the positive opportunities that have arisen out of the pandemic. Broadcast on OOH signs around the globe #OurSecondChance is collaboration between World Out of Home Organisation (WOO) and the […]
With the COVID-19 crisis affecting all crowd-based activities, youth mental-health charity batyr has devised the first-ever Run for the Herd Virtual Festival partnering with media business UM to bring the virtual event to life. With the City2Surf event in Sydney, normally a big fund-raising opportunity for batyr, postponed this year, batyr has created a virtual event and with the support of UM are encouraging […]
Following QMS’ acquisition of TLA Worldwide (Aust) last year, QMS Sport has today announced it will transition to the TLA brand and formally become a business unit of TLA. ‘Media Tech’ is officially the new name for what was formally known as QMS Sport, and will operate alongside TLA’s existing business units that span the […]