What is a micro-moment? Is it a new buzz word, a fad or a thing we as marketers, content strategists need to consider when thinking about the consumers path to purchase. Regardless, VidCorp global head of marketing Rey Yesilnacar ponders this question in this guest post.
Micro-moments are moments that matter!
Especially with millennials but generally, the way we live and our expectations of a brand is affected by mobile devices such as smartphones. Customers can now recognise a product need in social media via a desktop, search for it on a mobile device on the train and purchase in store.
All this has resulted in a disjointed customer journey to online purchase and intent driven micro-moments.
Four Video Micro-Moments defined by Google
1) I want to watch what I am into
- In this micro-moment people looking for videos on their passions, hobbies and interests. Google highlight that 53 percent of online video viewers watch online video to be inspired or entertained
2) I want to know
- Relates to those trying to learn something. Nearly 70 percent of Millennials agree they can find a YouTube video on anything they want to learn.
3) I want to to do
- We’ve all looked for step by step instructions of how to do, make, something. Searches related to “how-to” are up 70 percent year-over-year on YouTube.
4) I want to buy
- People use video to try before buying. 18-to-34-year-olds say YouTube is the best place to learn about a product or service that interests them.
Now you understand video micro-moments and their compelling value, how do you ramp up your video content strategy and ensure the relevant content is distributed to the right device at the right time.
One option is to be there when your audience is looking for answers to their micro-moment state. Simply, one would need to create video content for every stage of the marketing funnel and distributed to the device of choice to capture and engage with the target audience at those micro-moments.
Create video case studies, how-to videos and product demos to engage and help your audience find you when they need you with useful content rather than irrelevant ads.
Did you know that “51.9 per cent of marketing professionals worldwide name video as the type of content with the best ROI” (2). Video enables connections on a human level.
It facilitates trust as its more personal. It’s vital that the viewer can connect with you,share your emotions, hear your tone and develop a bond with you driving brand loyalty and equity at every stage of the customer journey.
Engage your target audience and when you leverage micro-moment you’ll find video is your weapon of choice.