Lingerie giant Victoria’s Secret has unveiled two new brand ambassadors from Asia.
The appointment of actors Yang Mi (feature image) and Zhou Dongyu (pictured below) is atypical for the struggling retailer, who usually uses models to represent the brand.
The appointments follow the sale of Victoria’s Secret to a private equity firm in $US525 million ($AU793m) deal earlier this year.
Owner of Victoria’s Secret, L Brands, sold 55 per cent of the company to Sycamore Partners, with L Brands taking control of the remaining 45 per cent. However, Victoria’s Secret will be spun off into a fully private company.
The lingerie brand has come under fire in recent times for being out-of-touch with the modern consumer.
In November 2019, Victoria’s Secret annual fashion was been axed amid falling sales and the struggle to generate any interest in the catwalk spectacle.
The appointment of two actors from Asia appears to signal the brand’s desire to move away from its overtly sexualised image and embrace diversity.
Yang is one of China’s most successful and highest-paid actors. She said her coming on as a brand ambassador was part of a reshaping of its image: “Through a completely new interpretation, I want to make sexiness a natural expression in life, and it to become a more positive and beneficial force.”
Zhou, a film and TV star, will also be the new face of the brand in China.
Culture-leading publisher Highsnobiety continues to evolve its local operations with the appointment of Citizens of Culture as its strategic partner across media operations within Australia. Highsnobiety is a premium global brand dedicated to cultural pioneers, with work spanning across digital platforms, print media, documentaries, cutting edge events, a shopping platform and a full service creative […]
An investigation by British broadcaster ITV has found that Amazon is destroying millions of items in unsold or returned stock. The report specifically focuses on one of the 24 warehouses the company has in the UK. According to ITV News, the destroyed items are largely unused and new, either returned items or those which never […]
Australian fashion brand Witchery has partnered with B Corp GlamCorner as part of GlamCorner’s subscription box offering as the demand for everyday essentials soars. This partnership marks another milestone for the Australian fashion industry towards becoming more circular and introducing more paths to reduce textile waste. Customers nationally will be able to rent more of […]
The media, marketing and creative industries are being encouraged to host their own ‘Curry Club for COVID’ before 30th June to help meet the ambitious $100k target set by its organisers. Curry Club for COVID, which was conceived by long-time adtech executive Peter Bray, sales director at Impact, and is powered by industry social purpose organisation […]
The UnLtd Cup is returning for its tenth consecutive year, marking a decade of soccer shenanigans that’s raised nearly $500,000 for children’s mental health charity, KidsXpress. On July 22-23rd, 28 teams from across the industry will battle it out on the soccer field in the two-day tournament at Sydney University Sports and Fitness Centre, Darlington. […]
Australian-bred company Ultra Commerce has acquired New Zealand-based company Vesta eCommerce, a global software business providing leading product data management solutions. The recent acquisition is a significant move for the business, which is Australian born, owned, and headquartered, but has built out a global presence as it pursues rapid growth in the eCommerce market. Connecting […]
Canteen’s latest campaign features the combined talents of Director Luna Laure and creative agency Crater. The campaign strives to raise awareness for young people affected by cancer. The awareness campaign centres around Harry Barentson, who at 12 years of age found out his pregnant mum had cancer. The campaign aims to bring awareness to Canteen’s […]